You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How many lessons did it take you to pass your test?

Brownie

I had about 25 lessons over a period of about 9 months, as well as going out with my Dad a few times towards the end and I passed first time.

I dropped on with my test as it was in September 2000 when there were petrol strikes everywhere. There was fuck all on the road on the day of my test and I pissed it.

My brother had to retake his test by virtue of getting over 6 points in his first year.

He did so in Bristol Rush hour which is akin to the REM Everybody Hurst video. He said he moved about 200 feet in 40 mins. The examiner told him to take the car back, then asked him to do two Manoeuvres in the test centre car park. Passed it no problems, jobs a good un.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?

I thought you had to pass your Theory test before your allowed to do the practical test

Its a bit stupid if they introduced it after you passed and said youve got to do it anyway

Dunno how it works now, but back then there was a massive waiting list for practical tests, as everyone was busting a gut to get theirs done before the written test came in.

That's why my instructor put me in for it after just one lesson - to try and beat the written test.

But I missed out by a matter of a day or two so I had to do the written anyway after I'd done my practical.

supposed to be 17 lessons then one for every year of your life to the age you are while taking them for someone to pass a test. I followed this rule, BSM, 40 lessons, passed 1st time...

i think they are just after money myself like, im sure i would of passed after 10....:whistle:

• 3 weeks later...
Well?

I've just got my provisional and i'm finally gonna learn to drive. I just wanna get a clue as to how long it will take me to learn - the general rule, from what i've read, tends to indicate that it's between 20-40 lessons.

How long did it take you?

Well I really shouldn't be tempting fate here, but anyway. I'm taking my test on the 5th January, Ironically the date I took my first lesson last year.

I had about 15 lessons up till about May this year, and kind of stopped, my instructor was un-reliable, I really wasn't that good, and I gave up.

In early November, my parents bought me a car, got me insured on it and I practice in that day in day out, as well as that I've also got another new instructor, who is brilliant, I've had 5 lessons with him, and after my 3rd he told me to book my test.

Bottom line is, try and get a shitty arl banger, it will get you to test standard, it gets your confidence up and experience sky high. You no longer have that nervous feeling going into a car, and it's au natrual so to speak.

Will keep yiz posted

Had my first lesson today and it was a bit scary! Went to an industrial estate and practised the normal starting/stopping and also junctions.

She reckons 3 months will do it and wants me to sort my theory out straight away.

I remember that feeling of terror at being in complete control of this massive piece of metal.

It soon fades, and you become a killing machine.

Failed twice and have been on a 13 year hiatus from learning ever since.

I've always thought I should be good at driving. I reckon I have good dexterity and visual spacial ability, plus hand, eye and foot coordination from playing the drums. Sadly I'm more Ricky Bobby than Lewis Hamilton.