You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strongest 11 now?

Kopite82

Reina

Arbeloa

Carra

Agger

Aurelio

Xabi

Macherano

Keane

Gerrard

Reira

Torres

But then there's the question of Babel, and would Rafa actually play Keane in a more withdrawn role? There are certainly a few different formations with which the gaffer can play with to try and get the best of the squad.

I think our stongest eleven is;

---------------Reina---------------

Carra----Skrtel-----Agger----Aurelio

-------Mascherano---Alonso--------

--Gerrard------Keane------Babel---

--------------Torres---------------

However, its unfair to play Carra right back as hes been our best defender at centre back over the past few seasons, so drop Skrtel (I prefer Agger still) and put Arbeloa right back.

Who would you have start now if everyone was fit?

Thoughts? Would Keane or Kuyt start?

Pepe

Arbeloa Skrtel Cara Fabio

Javier

Gerrard

Babel Reira

Keane

Torres

Would probably pick the same, or the same apart for having Alonso picked over Babel, and Gerrard taking turns with Arbeloa at going onto the right.

Arbeloa--Carragher----Skrtel--Aurelio

--------Mascherano--Alonso-------

Kuyt-----------Gerrard---------Riera

----------------Torres-------------

Thats the team at this moment in time that would perform best in my opinion. It's more of a statement about Keane'sform than the signing in general but I can't help thinking that £20m would have been better spent on a quality right winger who could get us goals from on the right. I think we'll see two players in Maxi and Simao who could have made a big difference to this side when we play Atletico

-------------Pepe-------------

Alonso--Carra---Skrtel----Dosenna

Kuyt----Gerrard----Javi-----Riera

---------Keane--Torres---------

When Barry joins Gerradr moves to the right and Batty plays in CM with Javi if we go 4-4-2

if we play 4-3-3

then it's Gerrard, Javi, Barry, with Torres Keane and Babel as a front 3

If its not gonna be Barry and we still have the yanks then Alonso and Kuyt will be sold and 1 player brought in and they will have their cash for the repayment pair of cunts that they are

-----------Reina-----------

Carra--Skrtel--Agger--Aurelio

-----Alonso--Mascher-----

--Gerrard---Keane----Babel

-----------Torres----------

There it is. Play that regularly and win the league (or come very close).

1. Riera may get the nod ahead of Babel on the left, to offer genuine width. In that case, Babel becomes an impact sub to come on if any of the front four tire or get a knock.

2. Carra is a better CB than RB, but this makes the best team. Agger needs to play. He offers goals for a defender, plus he brings the ball out better than any of the others. This will encourage the whole play to move up the pitch a bit. Carra might be unhappy at RB, but so be it. This is for the good of the whole team.

3. Stevie on the right of the three might not be his preferred position either, but again, this is for the good of the team. Stevie on the right is a big improvement on Kuyt, and I would have thought we'll then have a better chance of a good partnership forming between Keane and Torres.

That's the team right there folks. Disagree and you're a wrong 'un!

I take it you meant to say Arbeloa at RB and not Alonso?

IMO, Kuyt is not the player we need on the right side in a 4-4-2 formation. In fact, I don't think he is good on the right side - regardless of 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1.

I think this will be our strongest 11 eventually.

Arbeloa--Carra---Skrtel----Aurelio

---------Xabi-----Chief------------

Gerrard-------Keane--------Riera

-------------Torres--------------

-----------Reina-----------

Carra--Skrtel--Agger--Aurelio

-----Alonso--Mascher-----

--Gerrard---Keane----Babel

-----------Torres----------

There it is. Play that regularly and win the league (or come very close).

1. Riera may get the nod ahead of Babel on the left, to offer genuine width. In that case, Babel becomes an impact sub to come on if any of the front four tire or get a knock.

2. Carra is a better CB than RB, but this makes the best team. Agger needs to play. He offers goals for a defender, plus he brings the ball out better than any of the others. This will encourage the whole play to move up the pitch a bit. Carra might be unhappy at RB, but so be it. This is for the good of the whole team.

3. Stevie on the right of the three might not be his preferred position either, but again, this is for the good of the team. Stevie on the right is a big improvement on Kuyt, and I would have thought we'll then have a better chance of a good partnership forming between Keane and Torres.

That's the team right there folks. Disagree and you're a wrong 'un!

Agree on most fronts, I think whats even more important than the personnel at this stage is the system, the squad of players we have now is made for 4-2-3-1. Its pretty obvious that in a 4-4-2, our wingers aren't of the level needed to win the league.

I've been a backer of Keane, but i believe the reason Rafa is sticking with 4-4-2 is that he won't make a decision as regards to dropping Keane or Kuyt. If there were no repercussions I think he'd drop Keane, but he's just dropped 20 million on him, on the other hand, Kuyt is like his son. With a full squad available 4-4-2 is the only way to justify playing both.

If needs be, play Kuyt on the right (and drop Keane) in a 4-2-3-1 and have Gerrard in behind Torres, just in order to get us back to the system that worked fantastically well last season. Personally I think Gerrard on the right with license to roam, ala Ronaldo would be devastating.

Either way, getting back to this formation is the most crucial thing.

When Barry joins Gerradr moves to the right and Batty plays in CM with Javi if we go 4-4-2

if we play 4-3-3

then it's Gerrard, Javi, Barry, with Torres Keane and Babel as a front 3

If its not gonna be Barry and we still have the yanks then Alonso and Kuyt will be sold and 1 player brought in and they will have their cash for the repayment pair of cunts that they are

Just re-read your post. Are you ok this morning, Bob? ;)

Pepe

Arbeloa Carra Danny Boy Aurelio

Xabi The Chief

Gerrard Keane Riera

Torres

Despite my doubts, I've picked Aurelio by default as I'm not sure about Dossena yet and need to see more of him. Riera and Babel is difficult one and considering I've only seen him a couple of times, I shouldn't really be going for the new man. However, he has looked composed, intelligent and skillful and I've got a good feeling about him. And anyway, Babel can be his explosive best coming off the bench. Agger over Skrtel is an easy one for me as I think he is comfortably the better player and also is a better partner for Carra. I think the rest pick themselves and this formation is a given in order to get the best out of them all.

Thats the team I would agree with. For all the Kuyt bashing, Kuyt is still more of a goal threat and creates more goal scoring oppurtunities than Keane.

However, I still feel that there is a need to squeeze Babel in somewhere. I liked the look of Torres, Gerrard and Babel bombing forwards a few matches ago (Marsaille I think).

Thats the team at this moment in time that would perform best in my opinion. It's more of a statement about Keane's form than the signing in general but I can't help thinking that £20m would have been better spent on a quality right winger who could get us goals from on the right. I think we'll see two players in Maxi and Simao who could have made a big difference to this side when we play Atletico

That's our best team right now. Babel is great as a sub but hopefully will improve enough to make one of the wider AM positions his own.

Agger may break into the CB partnership, possibly with Carra going to FB against the vg sides.

Even as cover for Torres I would prefer Babel as he comes closer to matching his physicality/pace.

Beny could move into the AM mix when that happens.

Massive test of Rafa's ability to admit mistakes & the owners' ability to not panic & take a loss becuase Keane, even though he works hard & has a good attitude, does not suit our team.

How can anyone pick Robbie Keane in our strongest XI at the moment? Utterly baffling. Even his staunchest defenders - of whom there are clearly many - could not make the case for him being in the team on merit right now.

CDW82's team seems spot on to me. Babel (and Keane) as impact subs for me.

Because he's a class act; a proven goal scorer and creator. And how else will he find his feet at his new club if he's not in the team?

I think one of the reasons he hasn't scored yet is that, as Dirk said the other day, he's too close to Torres. He needs to play in a slightly deeper position. My biggest gripe about Rafa is his propensity to change things too often or when they don't appear to need changing. Changing the system to 442 this season is a case in point and, in my opinion, a key factor in Keane's form.

-------------------reina------------------------

arbeloa--------carra------skrtel-------aurelio

----------alonso----------masch---------------

babel-------------gerrard-----------------reina

---------------------torres--------------------

I would have had keane instead of alonso and pushed gerrard next to masch, but keane ain't doing it right now and the team is suffering with the 4-4-2. Go back to what we're strongest at and lets get some wins under our belts. Typical liverpool we have a chance to go top and we fuck it up against cannon fodder like bloody stoke.

Because he's a class act; a proven goal scorer and creator. And how else will he find his feet at his new club if he's not in the team?

I think one of the reasons he hasn't scored yet is that, as Dirk said the other day, he's too close to Torres. He needs to play in a slightly deeper position. My biggest gripe about Rafa is his propensity to change things too often or when they don't appear to need changing. Changing the system to 442 this season is a case in point and, in my opinion, a key factor in Keane's form.

I don't see why everyone keeps refering to Keane as a 'class' act. He is 28 & has never played in the CL. Firstly that means no CL side thought he was good enough to chase him (& he is hardly a 1-club man); Secondly he has never played at the highest level so how can he be judged as class act or not?

To me he is just another Sky-hyped British/Irish PL player (remember England's "9 world class players"?)

I would agree that the change away from 4-2-3-1 is extremely puzzling. But I think that is a consequence of signing Keane, not a cause of his poor form.

I know that you & others have suggested switching Gerrard to AM® & playing Keane at AM© but i) The central position is more invloved & Gerrard is our best player & ii) It requires an understanding with the CF & late last season Torres/Gerrard looked to be developing a magnificent partnership.

You are right to criticise Rafa for moving away from our end of season team but the mistake was in adding a 28-year who didn't fit into that system AND THEN trying to alter it to fit him in.

Rafa has been good at cutting losses after transfer market mistakes (& even Wenger signed Jeffers) but the stakes are much higher this time.

I notice a few people have left out Carragher in their strongest elevens here. I know its all about opinions, but why? Neither Agger or Skrtel (both of whom I've no doubt will be world class in years to come) are ready to take the mantle of leader of the back four. Carragher's influence makes him intrinsicly part of our strongest eleven.

And not just for his defending, but for his vocal leadership- Gerrard leads with his football and his all round effort and is generally a quiet Captain, so Carragher is vital as being his sort of Sergeant-at-arms, if you will.

I personally cannot see how you can name a strongest eleven without him. For me it's him and one of Danny Boy and Skrtel, at this moment.

Don't get me wrong, both Skrtel and Agger will be immense in the near future, they both have the attributes and the potential to be two of our best defenders, so I've got faith in them, but for me, at this present moment in time Carragher is one of the first names on the teamsheet along with Reina, Gerrard and Torres.