You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Icebergs and Lifeboats

politico

Icebergs and lifeboats…………… a tale of our time.

The great Liner coasted through the waves at full speed. There was little cause for concern for the Captain, his ship was built to be unsinkable and it was highly unlikely if not impossible to encounter icebergs this far south.

The owners had several of these highly prestigious Liners in their fleet and they were the pride of the country, nothing could match their size and majesty, onward through the night they sailed.

The captain received a telegram and had meetings with the owners, a new record was possible for the Liner, more passengers and prestige would follow, so although an Iceberg had been sighted earlier he gave the order for full steam ahead. The sense of invinceability that lay within the Captain transmitted through the crew to the First Class passengers the owners coveted.

Meanwhile several decks below the poor souls in steerage were almost forgotten and ignored, they amused themselves and tried to convince each other all would be well, but the freezing, bitter grip of the icy north wind made everyone nervous.

When the berg hit, at first the passengers believed and were told all was well, for obviously the ship was the pride of the line –nothing could harm it, let alone threaten it’s very existence. The were a small number of lifeboats and some who realised early that all was far from well reluctantly eased away from the mighty ship, but for many more on board the great liner this was a day that they believed could never, would never happen.

Questions were asked-why was money, greed and prestige paramount. Who was in charge, were there not politicians, regulators who were supposed to oversee such things, why were the ordinary working people below decks not listened too-was it not their brethren who had built these ships in the first place-with their own sweat and blood. But although the toil was provided by the working man, they never had sight of the plans for that which they created. That was left to the so called clever people and financiers-the very people that had ignored all the warning signs and were now responsible for sending something great and cherished to the bottom of the ocean.

Thank god some had read the signs early and built small but stable lifeboats, little consolation for many but a chance to rebuild, only this time on solid ideals where everyone was valued and all are equal.

I dearly hope this analogy never comes to pass. Our football clubs are a deep integral part of our local and national character. The regulators at both National and International level along with the owners and financiers are playing Russian roulette with Clubs that give many millions there main focus of identity. These financiers in their glass towers cannot possibly predict the future world economy, but they leverage debt on that which we love and cherish. I hope those in charge feel the full weight of the responsibilty they carry-for one day they may well be held to account.

Politico

Affordable Football Alliance-just Google it!

well 240 people have read it -and I hope most got past my poor grammar to understand the point being made. So 6 people having a go- is not too bad, thanks.

Truth is the vast majority still have a "success at any price" attitude and ignore the bigger picture-but there you go.

well 240 people have read it -and I hope most got past my poor grammar to understand the point being made. So 6 people having a go- is not too bad, thanks.

Truth is the vast majority still have a "success at any price" attitude and ignore the bigger picture-but there you go.

Make that seven you ponce.

No, I really can see the Mersey Ferry from my office window.

An Iceberg sunk The Titanic - The Titanic was Registered in Liverpool - Liverpool's River is the Mersey - Lifeboats occasionally go on the Mersey ...

Ooh Ooh.. (sticks hand up) .... I know, I know.. its a word association game.. I understand now.

No, I really can see the Mersey Ferry from my office window.

An Iceberg sunk The Titanic - The Titanic was Registered in Liverpool - Liverpool's River is the Mersey - Lifeboats occasionally go on the Mersey ...

Ooh Ooh.. (sticks hand up) .... I know, I know.. its a word association game.. I understand now.

Ferry across the Mersey...Gerry Marsden...YNWA...LFC!

Got it!! Do I win a prize?