You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anti virus help

elvis

To be honest with you I would ditch the Norton and goto Tech product reviews for cell phones, computers, MP3 players - CNET .Then hit downloads at top of page.When you get onto the next page type anti virus into there search.Most of the anti virus programs are free there and loads better than Norton.Go for the likes of AVG .

To be honest with you I would ditch the Norton and goto Tech product reviews for cell phones, computers, MP3 players - CNET .Then hit downloads at top of page.When you get onto the next page type anti virus into there search.Most of the anti virus programs are free there and loads better than Norton.Go for the likes of AVG .

Yeah i downloaded avg but as norton was still lurking somewhere all hell broke loose in my pc , it just pisses me off that i paid 40 odd quid for norton in a moment of virus fuelled angst!, it just seems a waste.

Yeah i downloaded avg but as norton was still lurking somewhere all hell broke loose in my pc , it just pisses me off that i paid 40 odd quid for norton in a moment of virus fuelled angst!, it just seems a waste.

Yeah I no what you mean .Just that Norton seems to give more problems than its worth.If you still want updates for norton then try looking on .www mininova.com for them.You will need a torrent program to get them though.If you need one try bit comet.

Yeah I no what you mean .Just that Norton seems to give more problems than its worth.If you still want updates for norton then try looking on .www mininova.com for them.You will need a torrent program to get them though.If you need one try bit comet.

I have utorrent etc, i just worry that software files on the net might be corrupt.

I shall be brave .

I have utorrent etc, i just worry that software files on the net might be corrupt.

I shall be brave .

Cracks/Serials for Antivirus and definitions are almost always useless as there are so many updates made by the AV companies meaning they never last too long.

AVG is free and the current version v8 is pretty good :thumbsup:

Do i need a removal tool , and will it work entirely?

You shouldn't need one. Just go in to the control panel and "add/remove programs" (or "programs and features" if using vista).

You could always run Download Norton Removal Tool 2008.0.3.16 - A program that can remove some Norton software from your computer - Softpedia after rebooting if you feel that it's not gone or if the uninstall fails for some reason.

The top three free antivirus seem to be AVG, Avast and Avria, look at http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html for free antivirus software.

I used to use AVG 7.5 free which was good, but I hated the 8.0 version as it is really heavy on memory usage, it has about four processes resident and the link scanner is a total dog, not to mention it takes at least 2hours to scan my drive.

I installed Avira which is light on the system, scans faster and I even noticed my PC boot times have improved. Obviously it's about personal choice but I'm pretty happy with Avira.

I dislike Avira. Not only has it missed things (Norton 360 missed one as well, the bloaty piece of ubershite that it is..) that AVG8 has caught, it also has an umbrella icon thingy. This makes me both sad and angry. A lethal combination.

The umbrella icon reminds me of that Umbrella song, you know the one that goes "Umbrella, ella, ella, ella...". That one. Hateful fucking song, that. Makes me want to stab myself in the ear canal with a sharpened pencil. Whoever wrote that song, and that stupid bint who sings it, deserve nothing less than entire body infection with the bastard mutation of ebola and AIDS.

For those who are unsure how to install from command line.

First, make life easier for yourself. Download AVG8 to your desktop, and then right-click and rename it to something shorter, such as AVG8.exe instead of the usual avg_free_inst_blah_bollocks_1843f34.exe

Second, open up a command prompt. Do this from the start button by clicking "Run", or by the windows key+R combo on your keyboard. Once the Run dialogue comes up, enter "cmd" (without quotes, obviously, same for the other 2 commands later on..) into the box and hit return. Now, you're at a command prompt.

Now, you'll be in a black box with a flashy cursor at the end of something like "C:\Documents and Settings\Whateveryourusernameis>

from that point, type in "cd desktop" and hit return. The prompt should then look something like C:\Documents and Settings\Whateveryourusernameis\Desktop>

Now, type in "avg8 /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch" and press return.

Wait for the AVG installer to start, and Bob's yer Aunties live in lover.

Funny thing is when I changed from AVG, Avira found a Trojan that AVG missed, I have heard that happen before with different apps.

Just checked this site Virus Bulletin : News - AV-test.org issues latest figures (don't know how reliable it is) but avira does show up for scanning for adware and spyware.

Heres an one showing the pre 8 version results of the software Retrospective / ProActive Test May 2008 (don't know how reliable this is either) Click comparatives crap link thingy

Anyway I use spywareblaster,spybot and superantispyware to help get rid of that crap, a bit overkill like.

Edited by FieldingMellish
crap linl, er I think

For those who are unsure how to install from command line.

First, make life easier for yourself. Download AVG8 to your desktop, and then right-click and rename it to something shorter, such as AVG8.exe instead of the usual avg_free_inst_blah_bollocks_1843f34.exe

Second, open up a command prompt. Do this from the start button by clicking "Run", or by the windows key+R combo on your keyboard. Once the Run dialogue comes up, enter "cmd" (without quotes, obviously, same for the other 2 commands later on..) into the box and hit return. Now, you're at a command prompt.

Now, you'll be in a black box with a flashy cursor at the end of something like "C:\Documents and Settings\Whateveryourusernameis>

from that point, type in "cd desktop" and hit return. The prompt should then look something like C:\Documents and Settings\Whateveryourusernameis\Desktop>

Now, type in "avg8 /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch" and press return.

Wait for the AVG installer to start, and Bob's yer Aunties live in lover.

Excellent instructions Meaty. I have just installed it sans whirly irritating things on my google searches.

I even wrote "exit" to close the cmd window. That made me hard.

Funny thing is when I changed from AVG, Avira found a Trojan that AVG missed, I have heard that happen before with different apps.

Just checked this site Virus Bulletin : News - AV-test.org issues latest figures (don't know how reliable it is) but avira does show up for scanning for adware and spyware.

Heres an one showing the pre 8 version results of the software Retrospective / ProActive Test May 2008 (don't know how reliable this is either) Click comparatives crap link thingy

Anyway I use spywareblaster,spybot and superantispyware to help get rid of that crap, a bit overkill like.

superantispyware is a fantastic product

My favourite Freeware this year is Comodo Firewall.Its absoloutly superb.

My removal tools are Stinger and Spywareterminator,again free and 2 of the best bits of software out there in my opinion .Download all 3 and you should be well safe