You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Players going to the Olympic

Lofts

Are you happy the our players maybe going to the Olympic  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy the our players maybe going to the Olympic

• Yes
    • No

From the offal

Rafa Benitez is to hold talks with Javier Mascherano over his proposed participation in the Olympic Games later this summer.

Mascherano is expected to be included as an over-age player in Argentina's squad for the Games, which take place in Beijing between August 8 and 24.

If the 23-year-old does travel, it would leave Liverpool short of cover in midfield during the early part of 2008-09, with Lucas also likely to be selected for Brazil.

Benitez said: "This is a very difficult situation for us because we have Lucas who is eligible through his age with Brazil and Mascherano who can play for Argentina as an over-age player, so I need to discuss his position with him.

"We will see what happens. We have some time so we need to wait and we will try to find a solution with Mascherano that will be the best for the club and the best for the player.

"With Lucas and Sebastian Leto we will accept the situation.

"It is a difficult situation because if the countries want the best players to take part they have to go to the professional clubs. But from our point of view, we have to manage the situation as well as we can."

Would you be happy for the two to go, or do you want them to play for us at the begining on the season?

Guest monster mash

Its not so much Lucas but the Mash that we will miss. imagine if he got a serious injury?? S Leto doesn't even come into the equation so he can go.

No problem with them going if they want to but I don't really see why anyone would be bothered. It's basically Under 23 football and if it were me I'd rather play for my club than in some second rate competition.

Each to their own though I suppose.

Not happy about it but I respect their right to play for their country, I would myself in if I was in the same situation, I dont think that makes them any less committed, better a happy player when here than an unhappy one.

It's a huge honour for these lads, I remember Heinze playing at the tournament for Argentina after he signed for United, much to Slur's irritation.

The only problem is both play in the same position. If Alonso goes at best we'll probably have Gerrard and Barry for the centre, which would leave us extremely exposed in case either picked up even a small injury.

One of the Chief and Lucas should be allowed compete but it's hardly fair on the other.

Tough call.

El Rojo, what about Plessis? Guthrie? We have cover if they go.

Not happy but if he wants to go he'll go.

Treat it as his pre-season, we'll miss him but its only for the 1st few games so hopefully we'll be okay without him

I was going to mention Plessis, who looks a fantastic prospect, but say we're playing Chelsea or United?

It's essential we start next season explosively, but being without two squad players in the same position is undoubtedly a serious handicap.

That said, I voted that they should go, as it would mean the world to both.

Not happy at all. Mascherano should show some loyalty to the club that rescued him from the West Ham reserves and not go to this pointless tournament. I'm sure the Argies can find any number of players over the age of 23 to join the squad, why take Masch? And I bet you a million quid that Barcelona will find some way to prevent Messi going even though he is of the required age, yet our Argie 'elder' will be in China for an event that barely registers as a major footballing contest. It's not the World Cup or Copa America ffs...

Edit: Wait, Masch has already been to an Olympics, and won GOLD! What more does he want, ffs...

I just want to add....if Masch wants to go then I am happy for him. He doesnt have to show any more commitment to us than he has already done on a weekly basis.

In fact sod it, ill introduce him to my sister.

As well as obviously wanting him to stay and play for us I believe that having professionals playing in the competition fails to meet the olypic ideal laid down when they were first formed... Ameteurs competing on a level playing field? Pff, he shouldn't even be ALLOWED to play!

Its a different question as to whether the Olympic football tournament should be structured the way it is (age limits, with some overage players included). But, the rules being what they are, I don't see how you can hold it against any player if he choose to go.

At the end of your career, are you going to look back and think "I made the right choice buggering off the Olympics, and playing a couple of league games instead"? I doubt it.

Say if there was (I know there won't be) a GB team in the London Olympics. And Steven Gerrard was nominated to captain that team. Do you think he wouldn't go? And how could you blame him? I know I couldn't.

No harm in trying Rafa, but I don't think it will work :(

At the end of your career, are you going to look back and think "I made the right choice buggering off the Olympics, and playing a couple of league games instead"? I doubt it.(

He has played the Olympics before, though, and they won it. I guess he wants to be part of the team that defends the title.

Btw, does anyone know if Babel might be going? I can't see no reason why he wouldn't.

Far as I'm concerned it all depends on what event they're going in.

'The olympic' what? Marathon? Long Jump?

Sorry, just being pedantic again.

The Olympics is just a drug riddled sham now anyway, just watch the Chinese win the Pole Vault with a world record height, WITHOUT a pole.

The Olympics is just a drug riddled sham now anyway, just watch the Chinese win the Pole Vault with a world record height, WITHOUT a pole.

WTF? Those Chinese herbal remedies for sexual performance must be stronger than I thought. Ground up tiger penises plus bamboo shoots will make you stiff enough to vault higher than Sergei Bubka?

Ok, gotta go.

(quickly grabs the yellow pages to see if there are any Chinese homepathic stores in my area. Hmm, I'm not that far from San Francisco ChinaTown!!)