You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leeds development

Lurtz

Stroll on. Just been out for my first pub lunch since moving into the new office in Leeds. Walked with a couple of colleagues to a pub called the Cross Keys - Noos & Tom R might know it? Had a top fishcake in there. And all the waitresses are fit as fuck.

What I'm "stroll on" ing about is the scale of development in that part of Leeds. It's immense. As someone who doesn't live in Leeds it's easy to miss it all but there are apartments and offices going up left right and centre. It's mental. No shops though which is bizarre. There's one Tesco express to the whole area. A corner shop would make a fortune. Needs more bars too.

Well impressed overall.

yeah man, The Cross Keys is a fucking sweet boozer. I was down there meself just last week.

You're bob on about the lack of shops and that as well. It's insanely stupid. They throw up these massive apartment blocks, with thousands of people expected to move in and form a community and there's no shops, no doctors, no dentists, no schools, nothing.

In 20/30 years time I fully expect most of these swanky apartment blocks to be slums and pretty run down, just like many of the high rises of the 1960's and 70's that you can see today, which at the time were hailed as modern city centre living.

yeah man, The Cross Keys is a fucking sweet boozer. I was down there meself just last week.

You're bob on about the lack of shops and that as well. It's insanely stupid. They throw up these massive apartment blocks, with thousands of people expected to move in and form a community and there's no shops, no doctors, no dentists, no schools, nothing.

In 20/30 years time I fully expect most of these swanky apartment blocks to be slums and pretty run down, just like many of the high rises of the 1960's and 70's that you can see today, which at the time were hailed as modern city centre living.

Correct, because the standard of construction is absolute shite. i would never buy anything built in the last 20/30 years unless it was a high quality bespoke property.

The lack of health services, need to be looked at by the Primary Care trust,. but under the planning system they can get some monies in if its a really major development, same goes with education. Lastly other services should have been factored in by the Planners and the Developers by providing a good mixed use scheme that will; provide for good local fabric. Never fucking happens though does it?

You want to try driving through Upton Rocks in Widnes, (Barton (used to) lives there and so does Ellison) a more unholy place you couldn't wish to see.

Lots of 'executive professional' red brick bollocks with Plasma screens showing through the windows, but it just looks like it's been designed by Stevie Wonder.

There's a small play park slap bang in the middle, but nothing else, no shops, no boozer , no nothing. It looks like a concentration camp for solicitors.

Fucking good point chaps, about the future of these properties. I've been turning over the idea of buying one of those apartments after the summer. Nuts to that though.

I'm fucked off with living in Brighouse to be honest. Feels like I'm out on a limb. Not knowing anyone there is weird too. Not that I know anyone in Leeds either but a city centre community would make it a lot easier to meet people. I love my flat but it's the first place I've lived since I split with Mrs Lurtz and it reminds me of that every time I walk through the front door. Time to move on after the Summer I reckon. Maybe Leeds City centre is out of the equation then. Fuck knows where now. Bastards.

Might have to start a "Find Lurtzy a home" thread in a couple of months.

Don't get me wrong mate, there are some decent places to live in the City Centre, but all the big new develoments on the outskirts have very much the same issues that we've just covered.

If you get one bang in the middle of town, you're laughing gas.

Personally I don't see any appeal whatsoever in living in town. It's noisy, it smells, it's full of pissheads and vomit and you can't park your car. I can see some benefits if you're single and out every nght, but I just don't get it myself.

Besides, if I lived in town I'd be out bumming and getting wasted every night and would kill myself to death pretty quickly I reckon!

Oh, and why the fuck did you move to Brighouse man?

i didn't know anyone lived there! I thought it was just a place where the car auction was! had no idea that humans lived there and that!

I was moving out of the house me and the mrs lived in which was in Carlton near Selby. All I wanted was an apartment to rent for a year. I looked at Roundhay (some right shiteholes up there that look good from the outside) and Chapel Allerton and the like, then I came across the place in Brighouse which is a converted mill. It's smart and it's got a swimming pool and gym and stuff on the ground floor, that's what swayed me. Wish I hadn't bothered now. Need to be looking at the Leeds area I reckon. I'll have been in the flat six months come August so that's when I'll be looking to move.

There are some swanky modern flats on the road out of leeds towards Chapletown (near the big Halifax offices). 100 yards away there are some high rises blocks.

Fuck all difference cept you get a balcony.

Leeds has changed so much since I moved back to this area in 1993.

I wouldn't live in Leeds myself. The suburbs (by and large) are either really crap, or really trendy and expensive as far as I can tell.

Stroll on. Just been out for my first pub lunch since moving into the new office in Leeds. Walked with a couple of colleagues to a pub called the Cross Keys - Noos & Tom R might know it? Had a top fishcake in there. And all the waitresses are fit as fuck.

What I'm "stroll on" ing about is the scale of development in that part of Leeds. It's immense. As someone who doesn't live in Leeds it's easy to miss it all but there are apartments and offices going up left right and centre. It's mental. No shops though which is bizarre. There's one Tesco express to the whole area. A corner shop would make a fortune. Needs more bars too.

Well impressed overall.

Leeds lacks basic shops like home bargains etc.Morrisons ,off the city centre is a grotty dated supermarket!

Leeds lacks basic shops like home bargains etc.Morrisons ,off the city centre is a grotty dated supermarket!

Oh good. Another city you're an expert in. I was hoping you'd have something to say on this point.

Oh good. Another city you're an expert in. I was hoping you'd have something to say on this point.

I used to go in Borders and sit in the black comfy chairs and read all the newspapers,itchy guides.loaded mags for free!..Try it for yourself. ;)