You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LIVERPOOL FC V BLACKBURN ROVERS

Red Nick

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, all top sides have a couple of outsanding players and we are no different.

We are still 1/2 outstanding players short though. Man United have got Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney who between them will get 50-60 league goals a season while we have only got Gerrard and Torres who are regular scorers.

Without Gerrard or Torres this game could well have ended up 0-0

Without Ronaldo the mancs wouldn't be top of the league, what's your point? We're as reliant on gerrard and torres as the mancs are on ronaldo or arsenal are on fabregas and adebayor.

Without Ronaldo the mancs wouldn't be top of the league, what's your point? We're as reliant on gerrard and torres as the mancs are on ronaldo or arsenal are on fabregas and adebayor.

The difference is Man United have Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo who are all a genuine goal threat, and have Nani, Scholes, Giggs and Saha in reserve who can all produce the goods.

We are still 1/2 outstanding players short though. Man United have got Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney who between them will get 50-60 league goals a season while we have only got Gerrard and Torres who are regular scorers.

Ronaldo has scored 27 premiership goals this season, after that it's a long drop until you come to tevez who is the mancs 2nd highest premiership scorer on 12. Arsenal have adebayor who is on 19 premiership goals followed by fabregas who is on 7. Liverpool have torres who is on 22 followed by gerrard who is on 11. Chelski's top premiership scorer is anelka who is on 11 followed by lampard on 10. So all teams have a couple of players who they rely on for most of their goals. We're not different than the rest.

Ronaldo has scored 27 premiership goals this season, after that it's a long drop until you come to tevez who is the mancs 2nd highest premiership scorer on 12. Arsenal have adebayor who is on 19 premiership goals followed by fabregas who is on 7. Liverpool have torres who is on 22 followed by gerrard who is on 11. Chelski's top premiership scorer is anelka who is on 11 followed by lampard on 10. So all teams have a couple of players who they rely on for most of their goals. We're not different than the rest.

Man United have 3 consistent goalscorers in Ronaldo who has scored 27 league goals, Tevez 12 and Rooney 11 and none of those have played 30+ league games either. We need someone else who can chip in with 12-15 league goals and is also a creative player too. Torres and Gerrard cannot do it on their own.

All the top teams rely a lot on their two best players. However it is clear to see that we have a lot less threat (creativity and goals) outside our two matchwinners than the rest of the top four IMO. We have a world class spine but our wide midfielders are pretty average.

Not to have a go because he is new but was anyone else unimpressed with Skrtel today?

I wasn't unimpressed but I did post about him, earlier in this thread I think. I think he's done well so far but he still makes some bad decisions/mistakes and that's something he'll hopefully improve on as he plays more games.

I think Carra and Agger will be the first choice pairing when everyone's fit.

All this talk of "we need this, we need that" is bollocks to me. Obviously we can improve, but this set of players should be in the championship race. We are no worse than Arsenal or Chelsea, and maybe only slightly behind the Mancs. And we are not going to find a player of Ronaldo's quality anywhere, so we may as well give up on that notion...

All the top teams rely a lot on their two best players. However it is clear to see that we have a lot less threat (creativity and goals) outside our two matchwinners than the rest of the top four IMO. We have a world class spine but our wide midfielders are pretty average.

Spot on that mate. The likes of Benayoun, Riise etc aren't really good enough. It's not affecting us at the moment, but earlier in the season when Rafa wasn't being as consistent with his selections as he is now, it did affect us and that's where we lost the ground on the top teams.

If we'd played this 4-2-3-1 with the same players that we use now, pretty much most of the season then we could still be in with a shout of the league, IMO.

I'm not criticising anyone there particularly, just making the point.

All this talk of "we need this, we need that" is bollocks to me. Obviously we can improve, but this set of players should be in the championship race. We are no worse than Arsenal or Chelsea, and maybe only slightly behind the Mancs. And we are not going to find a player of Ronaldo's quality anywhere, so we may as well give up on that notion...

That is a fair point. We should be a lot closer to challenging, and if we had played been more consistent with our team selection and formation as we have of late then I think we would be a lot closer.

Our strongest line up is good but we could do with a bit more fire power on the bench.

That is a fair point. We should be a lot closer to challenging, and if we had played been more consistent with our team selection and formation as we have of late then I think we would be a lot closer.

And maybe had more injuries and suffered in Europe.

Ferguson rotates too, but he has better attacking players in reserve. Thats the difference.

And maybe had more injuries and suffered in Europe.

Ferguson rotates too, but he has better attacking players in reserve. Thats the difference.

Absolutely, but playing Crouch on the left away at Reading and giving Kewell umpteenth chances is asking for trouble.

Great finish from Santa Cruz, he's played really well today I reckon. Gotta love Carra's reaction!

Skrtel has settled well but there's still some things he needs to improve on. He was lucky not to get sent off for that foul on Roberts and he made the mistake for the goal.

Don't get me wrong, I like him so far but there's improvement to be made there which i'm sure he will make.

I thought the performance was very good and we were a class above them. Gerrard in particular was awesome.

I thought he was lucky in the 1st half not to get sent off for the challenge on Reid.

In slow motion it was every bit as bad as taylors on Eduardo.

I have to agree with this as well, they were saying it on 5 live, "Where would Liverpool be without Torres and Gerrard", it's starting to get a bit tiresome, you could say that about all teams if you take the 2 best players out of the team. It's also highly disrespectful to the other players who do a great job but don't get the back pages.

God forbid we ever do have a title challenging season, because then it will be " Well where would they be if it wasn't for Torres, Gerrard, *insert name x 9*.

Games played around the Hillsbrough anniversary always seem to overpower the players and spectators. The minute's silence brought tears to my eyes. Again.

Overall, a good result. If it been filth or any of the others above us it would have been called a good result ground out. Thought the ref was poor today.

3 points, another Torres goal and YNWA.

The difference is Man United have Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo who are all a genuine goal threat, and have Nani, Scholes, Giggs and Saha in reserve who can all produce the goods.

You are half right and half wrong.

Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo have scored 51 Premiership goals this season while Torres, Gerrard and Babel have scored 37. Babel has only scored 4 (against Tevez's 12) so he perhaps needs to get a better return next season. Also Torres clearly needs to up his game as he is trailing Ronaldo by 6 (22 against 28 ) :whistle:

Gerrard and Rooney are both on 11.

On the other hand:

Nani, Scholes, Giggs and Saha have scored 12 this season whereas Voronin, Crouch Kuyt and Benayoun have scored 13- Not much in it there

Just as an aside we have scored more in all competitions (109) than United

(100)

You are half right and half wrong.

Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo have scored 51 Premiership goals this season while Torres, Gerrard and Babel have scored 37. Babel has only scored 4 (against Tevez's 12) so he perhaps needs to get a better return next season. Also Torres clearly needs to up his game as he is trailing Ronaldo by 6 (22 against 28 ) :whistle:

Gerrard and Rooney are both on 11.

On the other hand:

Nani, Scholes, Giggs and Saha have scored 12 this season whereas Voronin, Crouch Kuyt and Benayoun have scored 13- Not much in it there

Just as an aside we have scored more in all competitions (109) than United

(100)

Aye, we need Babel and/or Kuyt to score more in the league next season (say 15-20 between them). Or get someone else in who will.

Was sat next to a lad in the pub who had a tenner of Liverpool 3-0 and Gerrard first scorer. He was about to go and collect £260 when Blackburn scored. How we laughed!

Watch the highlights of Santa Cruz's goal yesterday, there's a fella sat behind Reina who obviously had 3-1 at the bookies, you can see him do a little cheeky celebration when he scores.