You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wasted Youth?

Faustus

Yesterday, I went to watch the youth team and it was finally good to be able to watch a match without the distractions of the turmoil at the top of the club and criticism of the manager and playing personnel at the back of my mind. Basically, it was refreshing to just watch a game of football without any third party politics. I've only seen a few reserve games this season and caught a few Youth Cup games last season so I'm no expert on the current crop of youngsters we have at the club by any means.

Anyway, yesterday I say two very good technical sides play with a smattering of promising youngsters present on both sides. What amazed me was that three of the Arsenal players already had first team experience so they immedaitely must possess the required skills to play for an Arsene Wenger team (technical ability, athleticism, composure) and just how our lads matched them. Our lads played very well and looked more than a match for team that had more experience playing first team football. They also looked like they actually gave a shit, unlike some players this season, and wore the shirt with pride.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling, but what I'm asking is whether some of these kids could do any worse than some of our current first team players? People might say that they're not ready, but how do you know unless you give them a chance? They must have something about them, seeing as they've won the Youth Cup twice. Could Craig Lindfield or Krisztian Nemeth done any worse than say Voronin or Kuyt this season? Could Insua have done any worse than Riise? If Spearing had a few games this season, could have performed any worse than Sissoko did for the first half of the season? I'm sure that any kid put into the side would show passion than Harry fucking Kewell, for a start.

I remember a quote from a Madrid director a few years ago when they were the best team in Europe for a short period and he explained their transfer policy to a journalist by saying that "if you want proven quality, you go out an buy it; if you want to take a risk or supplement the squad, go with youth". That seems a fairly sensible way to assemble a squad, in my eyes. Why not promote a few young lads to the first team squad instead of paying £6-7m here and there for a few average squad players when you could put the cash together to buy another player of Fernando Torres' quality?

Do you think that this would be a sensible way forward for a transfer policy?

Its a good point which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Thats what Ferguson has done the last 3 or 4 years, his bench had pure shit like chris eagles on it, but their first 11 was good quality, he had a midfield of fletcher, o shea and smith there for a while but he was constantly getting in quality and hoping his reserves could step in if needed. bit by bit he has added each piece.

we on the other hand, go with the revolving door of shit policy, a good outcome for us is if we can get back what we paid for most of our flops and be left in the same position as when we started.

I think option a is the better of the two

In an ideal world it would be fantastic to see a few kids get there chance, but not the way the first team is playing at the moment, these kids would probably get 45 minutes to prove themselves, it would take a lot of character to play well in that team at present, and not let the crowd get on your back, it could knock em for six.

Agree with this, i think at the moment we have too many players in the squad, on big wages. What we're seeing now is those fringe players aren't motivated because they know they're in and out of the team and even if they play well they'll get rotated and if their poor they'll still get another chance.

Time to get rid of 4 or 5 of these average squad players and give some of the young players a chance, what they maybe lack in quality and experience at the moment they'll make up with enthusiasm and playing with no fear which you get from young players.

there are at least 2 or 3 that should be in the 1st team squad replacing some of the highly paid players we have that look to have given up.

Yesterday, I went to watch the youth team and it was finally good to be able to watch a match without the distractions of the turmoil at the top of the club and criticism of the manager and playing personnel at the back of my mind. Basically, it was refreshing to just watch a game of football without any third party politics. I've only seen a few reserve games this season and caught a few Youth Cup games last season so I'm no expert on the current crop of youngsters we have at the club by any means.

Anyway, yesterday I say two very good technical sides play with a smattering of promising youngsters present on both sides. What amazed me was that three of the Arsenal players already had first team experience so they immedaitely must possess the required skills to play for an Arsene Wenger team (technical ability, athleticism, composure) and just how our lads matched them. Our lads played very well and looked more than a match for team that had more experience playing first team football. They also looked like they actually gave a shit, unlike some players this season, and wore the shirt with pride.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling, but what I'm asking is whether some of these kids could do any worse than some of our current first team players? People might say that they're not ready, but how do you know unless you give them a chance? They must have something about them, seeing as they've won the Youth Cup twice. Could Craig Lindfield or Krisztian Nemeth done any worse than say Voronin or Kuyt this season? Could Insua have done any worse than Riise? If Spearing had a few games this season, could have performed any worse than Sissoko did for the first half of the season? I'm sure that any kid put into the side would show passion than Harry fucking Kewell, for a start.

I remember a quote from a Madrid director a few years ago when they were the best team in Europe for a short period and he explained their transfer policy to a journalist by saying that "if you want proven quality, you go out an buy it; if you want to take a risk or supplement the squad, go with youth". That seems a fairly sensible way to assemble a squad, in my eyes. Why not promote a few young lads to the first team squad instead of paying £6-7m here and there for a few average squad players when you could put the cash together to buy another player of Fernando Torres' quality?

It's something I often wonder myself.

Is it the case that Rafa would feel he's compromising himself by playing Lindfield (free, £5k per week)instead of Kuyt (£10m, £40k per week). An admission perhaps that he made the wrong decision in the first place? Maybe that's overly simplistic though.

I suppose friction between the coaching staff of the youth and first teams hasn't helped in the past either.

Maybe these anomalies justifiy a place for a Director of Football in clubs. It could certainly lead to more joined up thinking in terms of how best to use youth resources, transfer funds etc.

Throwing on a young lad, while the team are playing like now could shatter the youngster. Ease them in when we are in a flow, let them build confidence.

A young lad in a struggling team, with all the pressure, could easily do harm, as we know the crowd arent always too patient, and he could get his self belief shot too pieces.

Throwing on a young lad, while the team are playing like now could shatter the youngster. Ease them in when we are in a flow, let them build confidence.

A young lad in a struggling team, with all the pressure, could easily do harm, as we know the crowd arent always too patient, and he could get his self belief shot too pieces.

I dont think its about throwing these players into the first team, its about have a core of 15-16 top quality players and then instead of supplementing the rest of the squad with internationals on big money use the reserves. When they are needed they'll at least play with enthusiasm and who knows 1 or 2 of them may surprise us and become first team regulars.

I think for those games where you want to rest some players like Havant it'd be better to play 3 or 4 hungry young players than 3 or 4 internationals that couldn't be bothered.

The step from youth to first team is astronomical.

Also current climate isnt the ideal time to bring young players into the first team. Ideally the team needs to be confident and on a decent run to bring anyone in.

However why we play HK when we have Babel, and Guthrie out on loan I don't know

The step from youth to first team is astronomical.

Also current climate isnt the ideal time to bring young players into the first team. Ideally the team needs to be confident and on a decent run to bring anyone in.

However why we play HK when we have Babel, and Guthrie out on loan I don't know

I'm not saying that we should chuck them in straight away in the current climate. I just feel that we should change our transfer policy by only buying proven quality with the money we'd normally spend on three or four squad players and having kids supplementing the rest of the squad.

I think that's a very good point. On forums, people are forever wanting the kids to be brought in - at the game itself, young players making their first few appearances get all sorts of abuse every time they make a mistake (which young players making their first few appearances tend to). To be honest, if I was a 17 year old on our books, I'd be desperate to break into the first team, but I can't say I'd be confident about playing in front of our fans.

they can only suppliment the squad if their good enough. 95% of those lads may well never make it in the game. Consider that it's now 10 yep 10 years since gerrard came through.

Hoddle is just looking to open an acedemy in spain for lads who get fucked off around 17 - 19

Seeing as this season can basically be written off now, why persist with Kewell, Kuyt and other players that clearly are not interested/good enough?

Give some kids a chance for a few games and lets build for next year. The step up is big, but if they never get a chance then why have the set up in the first place?

If we were playing well. I could see the case for bringing in the likes of Insua and Spearing occasionally. At the moment it would be throwing them to the lions.

As bri says, the gap to first team level is astronomical.

I'm not talking about throwing them in now; I'm merely suggesting a change in transfer policy whereby the promotion of young players is incorporated.

I'm not talking about throwing them in now; I'm merely suggesting a change in transfer policy whereby the promotion of young players is incorporated.

I'm not really disagreeing but this whole "got-to-qualify-for-the-CL" treadmill makes it really hard to give youngsters a chance.

Excellent post. That would be too simple and a sensible thing to do......Rafa doesn't do simple.

Man U, Arsenal, Man City, Everton, are among some of the Clubs who have given an opportunity to the youngters, and they've made an impact.

As for those who say that the current situation the team finds itself in may have an adverse effect on the players, well during the Souness era were not the youngsters like Mcmanaman, Redknapp, Mike Marsh one of the only positives of his time and our only source of pride?

It'll never happpen with rafa he does'nt give any young players a chance, how insua has'nt played 1 game for 1st team this season (considering his brilliant form for reserves and the fact risse is shit and aurellio made of glass) is shocking.

Agree.