You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Striker leaves on loan

TLW

I have a theory on young players, given a chance some take off and blossom, you dont give them a run and just loan them out and stuff they end up like Welsh, Navarro et al.

Agreed but at the top top teams, its not enough to be good, you have to be brilliant.

They cant hang about for 2 season while the youngster learns his trade?

You have to be able to hit the ground running and keep that form and improve.

If you look at those players out on loan and the positions they play then loan is the better of two evils

Plus it takes them off the wage bill while on loan

Agreed but at the top top teams, its not enough to be good, you have to be brilliant.

They cant hang about for 2 season while the youngster learns his trade?

You have to be able to hit the ground running and keep that form and improve.

If you look at those players out on loan and the positions they play then loan is the better of two evils

Plus it takes them off the wage bill while on loan

I know what you mean Bob, but I just feel sometimes young players reach a cross roads and if they are given a chance they flourish but if not then sometimes you lose out on players who are class but are lost from the game at the top level.

I think yougsters would be given more time than say players who are brought in from the crowd, I know I would, rightly or wrongly.

Welsh is at Chester on loan from Hull. He's just come back from a long term injury that he suffered last season, ironically inflicted by Lee Peltier.

i'm sure it was Neil Mellor! did they not get on? apparently it was a 50 50 and they both went in rediculously hard on each other and Welsh came out the worst so did Mellor mean it then or what?

I know what you mean Bob, but I just feel sometimes young players reach a cross roads and if they are given a chance they flourish but if not then sometimes you lose out on players who are class but are lost from the game at the top level.

I think yougsters would be given more time than say players who are brought in from the crowd, I know I would, rightly or wrongly.

With the stick that has been given to players like Kewell Kuyt Pennant Riise etc how long to you thing a young teenager would last if he wasnt the dogs bolloxs.

What you say is quite right but in practise it just wouldnt happen

If the League wont allow a 2nd team that could do this, then shipping them out to clubs in two's is the best option open.

To be honest i havnt seen any player out on loan under Rafa who would be brought back to the club?

I think its loan and then move on

With the stick that has been given to players like Kewell Kuyt Pennant Riise etc how long to you thing a young teenager would last if he wasnt the dogs bolloxs.

What you say is quite right but in practise it just wouldnt happen

If the League wont allow a 2nd team that could do this, then shipping them out to clubs in two's is the best option open.

To be honest i havnt seen any player out on loan under Rafa who would be brought back to the club?

I think its loan and then move on

Up to last season most of the players Rafa sent on loan was only to get them of the wage bill. I.e. Diouf, Cheyrou, Cissé etc. I think it's different with the young players. They're sent on loan to get som experience of playing in the football league.

There are players who ended up somewhere else but that doesn't mean they won't have made it, they just wasted too much of the youth here waiting for a chance. E.g. nobody is telling me Abel Xavier is better than Stephen Wright no matter how shit he ended up.

People qualified enough to manage football clubs tended to disagree with you.

Abel Xavier has played for Liverpool, PSV, Galatasaray, Benfica and Roma amongst others, has been capped many times for the Portuguese national team, and played in Euro 2000 and World Cup 2002.

Stephen Wright played for Liverpool, as well as Crewe, Stoke, and Sunderland. He never won a full international cap despite being a first team regular for Sunderland and as soon as they got promoted, they loaned him to Stoke.

He also played exactly the same amount of games for us as Abel Xavier.

Don't let facts get in the way of your drum banging though.