You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russell Brand

Thants

Russell Brand - Well?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Russell Brand - Well?

• Surreal genius on speed?
    • Unfunny twat
    • Who's Russell Brand?

4 hours ago, razor said:

Young, precocious, educated middle class person thinking their brand of edgy irony is really funny because they've had a few beers is nothing new, is it, mate?

Camera phones at festivals is relatively new.

I'm sure you don't really think her "hilarious irony" is actually, really coming from a person who is antisemitic?

Being self-absorbed and slightly over-confident doesn't warrant being called a "cunt".

I mean the colour of plate you use can get you called a CUNT on here, but I take your point.

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 2

On 20/09/2023 at 06:32, TD_LFC said:

It's a shame she referred to Georgina Baillie as the 'Satanic Slut' and criticised her for trying to monetise the faux 'outrage' at the time which is glossed over in her most recent article above.

It’s possible that Baillie was already an addict when her and Brand were fuck buddies.

9 hours ago, Arniepie said:

the bbc and ch4 are rightly carrying the can but, unless im missiing something,this was happening in plain sight,and no one was flagging it up,the printed media certainly werent.

The S*n, Channel 4, The BBC all played their part in making it happen.

He was being rewarded for his behaviour.

The S*n proudly gave him their shagger of the year award three years in a row.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Arniepie said:

the bbc and ch4 are rightly carrying the can but, unless im missiing something,this was happening in plain sight,and no one was flagging it up,the printed media certainly werent.

His schtick being that he's a womaniser and sex addict was pretty clear, the extent to which he would manipulate people for sex and even feel emboldened to allegedly assault these women to get what he felt he needed wasn't though, no.

Looks like plenty knew what he was like, but it was hardly public knowledge (even if there were plenty of warning signs and if you think it through of course addicts will seek a reliable supply at the cost of others' wellbeing).

18 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I don’t understand this argument. It’s incredibly difficult for journalists to reach a point where they think they can print a story with sufficient evidence to avoid litigation. Don’t forget, Elton John - ELTON JOHN!!! - successfully sued The Sun for writing that he was gay!

The teams working on this story took well over a year to reach the point where they felt they could publish and the journalists involved have said they’re aware of several other investigative teams having unsuccessfully tried to expose him over the last few years. 

In short, it’s incredibly difficult to reach a threshold of evidence where it’s considered defendable in court, should the subject sue. And that’s without the fact that there’s a huge additional issue in cases of sexual assault against women where they do not want to come forward. 

And as for other people not flagging it up, I doubt any of them saw anything they considered criminal. They were just aware he was dodgy but in very clever and manipulative ways that made it hard to point to specifics. Hence the rumours, but no reports. This stuff is really complex and not as simple as, “He’s a wrong ‘un. Lock him up”. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Paul said:

I don’t understand this argument. It’s incredibly difficult for journalists to reach a point where they think they can print a story with sufficient evidence to avoid litigation. Don’t forget, Elton John - ELTON JOHN!!! - successfully sued The Sun for writing that he was gay!

The teams working on this story took well over a year to reach the point where they felt they could publish and the journalists involved have said they’re aware of several other investigative teams having unsuccessfully tried to expose him over the last few years. 

In short, it’s incredibly difficult to reach a threshold of evidence where it’s considered defendable in court, should the subject sue. And that’s without the fact that there’s a huge additional issue in cases of sexual assault against women where they do not want to come forward. 

And as for other people not flagging it up, I doubt any of them saw anything they considered criminal. They were just aware he was dodgy but in very clever and manipulative ways that made it hard to point to specifics. Hence the rumours, but no reports. This stuff is really complex and not as simple as, “He’s a wrong ‘un. Lock him up”. 

it’s not so much him being exposed, its more the fact that his behaviour was celebrated,the shagger of the year stuff, the column in the guardian etc, all this was happening whilst he was basically pimping out his researcher to the worst nonce the country has ever seen.

In the documentary it was alleged channel 4 basically wouldn’t let female researchers work with him alone. Surely this stuff must get out?

Like you say it is a complex issue, I just think there was collective responsibility that this, Apparently went on for so long.

1 hour ago, Champ said:

In my work colleague’s oft repeated phrase, ‘slowly the thing reveals itself’

I was wrong

That was 10 years ago. I choose to think we’re all a good bit older and wiser now

I've got to say, I don't think there has been many people labelling him as one of the good guys, by any definition, ever.

2 hours ago, Paul said:

No he did not. He sued them for accusations that he used drugs and rent boys. If they had checked these stories they would have realised he was on a flight over the Atlantic when the Sun claimed he was having a drug fuelled event with a rentboy

36 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I've got to say, I don't think there has been many people labelling him as one of the good guys, by any definition, ever.

My faded memory was that he came across as empathic towards marginalised people. I can’t even remember where I saw him, maybe reading his columns in the Guardian, because I never watched him on Johnathan Ross or R2 and those clips they showed on Saturday night were excruciating and I ended up turning it off.

I don’t know what else you want me to say 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Champ said:

My faded memory was that he came across as empathic towards marginalised people. I can’t even remember where I saw him, maybe reading his columns in the Guardian, because I never watched him on Johnathan Ross or R2 and those clips they showed on Saturday night were excruciating and I ended up turning it off.

I don’t know what else you want me to say 

It was probably around the time that he was helping people not get evicted or face huge rent increases.

I felt exactly the same as you at that time.

• Upvote 1