You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Problem List

Franny DelMucho

Changing captains wont make a difference to how we are defending, how we're not scoring, how we're being outplayed in midfield, how we look like we're playing with no pride or passion.. will it?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cantona a bottler in Europe, he lead by playing well he was hardly the shouting and organising type. In short he was a tit.

The latter 3 you mentioned have won every domestic trophy going except for Vieira... Vieira and Zidane have won world cups! I'll take that thanks very much.

Fair enough with Cantona in Europe.

As for the others, being the best player in the team doesn't always equal being the best captain. I've never seen either Vieira or Zidane send their presence through the team by the force of their personality, which is what a captain should be all about. Playing to the limit of one's abilities is a great motivator for the rest of the team, but it's something that should be expected from every player. The ability to pick players up and make them believe that they're unbeatable, that they can turn things round when all seems lost, is something really special, and a quality few captains have.

Fair enough with Cantona in Europe.

As for the others, being the best player in the team doesn't always equal being the best captain. I've never seen either Vieira or Zidane send their presence through the team by the force of their personality, which is what a captain should be all about. Playing to the limit of one's abilities is a great motivator for the rest of the team, but it's something that should be expected from every player. The ability to pick players up and make them believe that they're unbeatable, that they can turn things round when all seems lost, is something really special, and a quality few captains have.

It is about winning trophies mate and Gerrard has won two of the big ones. Full stop.

Changing captains wont make a difference to how we are defending, how we're not scoring, how we're being outplayed in midfield, how we look like we're playing with no pride or passion.. will it?

It's not a magic bullet, far from it. I just feel that it might give Stevie a new lease of life and get him back to his best, which let's face it, he hasn't been this season.

On the other hand, it could cause more than it solves if he spits his dummy out, and besides, the real problems lie elsewhere. Probably not something worth getting into an argument about at the end of the day.

It's not a magic bullet, far from it. I just feel that it might give Stevie a new lease of life and get him back to his best, which let's face it, he hasn't been this season.

On the other hand, it could cause more than it solves if he spits his dummy out, and besides, the real problems lie elsewhere. Probably not something worth getting into an argument about at the end of the day.

I actually think he has personal problems by the looks of things, I hope it's not true.

Gerrard is a Liverpool fan and he would be devastated if he lost the captaincy - to outsiders he is Mr Liverpool. To us the fans he is the scaegoat, the man we turn to when things go wrong as he is a supporter himself and a local lad.

Changing captaincy would be madness.

It is about winning trophies mate and Gerrard has won two of the big ones. Full stop.

We'd have had no less chance of winning those if Carra was captain. Stevie could still have produced the match-winning performances that he did without the armband.

I'm not saying Gerrard is a shit captain. I'm saying that he could potentially be a consistently better player if he weren't.

Thing is Gerrard's poor form isn't our biggest problem either. In fact maybe its the bit of realisation we need. We are a work-in-progress.

Im worried about Alonso, Pennant, Garcia, Sami to name a few. Sure Gerrard not playing well is a big blow, but other players need to step up and be match winners, match savers etc. Who other than Gerrard and Garcia can win us a match.

Also worried about Crouch scoring and then being dropped - I dont think thats doing him any favours at all - confidence wise.

I actually think he has personal problems by the looks of things, I hope it's not true.

Gerrard is a Liverpool fan and he would be devastated if he lost the captaincy - to outsiders he is Mr Liverpool. To us the fans he is the scaegoat, the man we turn to when things go wrong as he is a supporter himself and a local lad.

Changing captaincy would be madness.

I think you might be right about the personal stuff, it would explain a lot.

If Stevie is as big a Liverpool fan as he (and you) make out, then if he had the armband taken away from him he should still be able to knuckle down and get on with the job of giving his all for Liverpool without it affecting his game.

But as I've already said, this is all academic as it won't happen. There are other issues Rafa needs to address first before the question of who captains the side.

I would of thought Gerrard playing in his favourite position would change his attitude for the better, but other people seem to think differently. Last season he was class, this season has been one to forget so far. I think some crazy things must go on inside his head, he lives in a completely different world to the rest of his team mates and his own little world becomes stranger and stranger as the seasons go by. He has a gobshite agent filling his head with shite, he has a bird wanting him to pose like a knobhead in hello magazine, he has to put up with rumours about his bird and kids, he does daft adverts for the telly and all that jazz. I know this is part of being a high profile player these days but footballers are becoming media whores and celebrities instead of realising their job is to get results for the club that pays their wages. Gerrard doesn't need money from fucking adverts, he should be focused on his duties for his club. Fucking adverts and agents should fuckoff. His mind has been filled with that much shite over the years i don't think he knows what fucking day it is anymore.

I would of thought Gerrard playing in his favourite position would change his attitude for the better, but other people seem to think differently. Last season he was class, this season has been one to forget so far. I think some crazy things must go on inside his head, he lives in a completely different world to the rest of his team mates and his own little world becomes stranger and stranger as the seasons go by. He has a gobshite agent filling his head with shite, he has a bird wanting him to pose like a knobhead in hello magazine, he has to put up with rumours about his bird and kids, he does daft adverts for the telly and all that jazz. I know this is part of being a high profile player these days but footballers are becoming media whores and celebrities instead of realising their job is to get results for the club that pays their wages. Gerrard doesn't need money from fucking adverts, he should be focused on his duties for his club. Fucking adverts and agents should fuckoff. His mind has been filled with that much shite over the years i don't think he knows what fucking day it is anymore.

Word.

I'm still fucking fuming after that abysmal performance yesterday and so far I've resisted the urge to post so as to avoid saying something I regret. Pretty much every aspect of what went wrong yesterday has been covered in the various threads. What bugged me more than anything however, was the complete lack of technique from our players, whether that's down to ability or application I'm not sure. It hurts to say it but the way the mancs moved the ball around and created space for themselves when contrasted with our sorry display was frankly humiliating. We spent most of the game hoofing the ball up to nobody and when we tryed to play it short every pass was mis-hit. We were shite from back to front and there isn't one player I could say gave a decent account of themselves.

Now on to the current captain of our great club, his performance yesterday was simply turd. Now I can accept a poor performance from him, especially when you consider the amount of great performances he's given us. What I can't accept is the attitude he displayed yesterday, when Alonso over hit a pass to him in the first few minutes Gerrard turned round and berated him. Those are not the actions of a Liverpool captain. I've never advocated Gerrard for Captain and if I'm honest I've never really forgiven him for the Chelsea flirtation. Yesterday encapsulated why he should not wear the arm band, he has niether the mentality nor the commitment for it. I don't know whats effecting his form this season but whatever it is needs to be addressed as he doesn't get payed £100,000 a week to moan and sulk. I'm ranting now so I'll just say one final thing, anyone saying Gerrard needs to play in the centre is talking shite. You only have too look at his performances last season to recognise that. Gerrard may want to play in the centre but that is entirely different and he must realise that his personal preferances come a distant second to what's best for Liverpool Football Club.

thats crap! at the start of every season you do need continuity. how did crouch find himself dropped after a great start to the season with club & country. how often do arsenal drop/rest henry, how often do united drop/rest rooney, how often do chelsea rest drogba. all the good sides keep faith with the strikers that are delivering the goals, especially this early on in the season.

It is ludicrous to compare Crouch to these world class players. I like Crouchie and think he contributes alot to the team but his "prolific" goal scoring form at the moment shouldn't mask his limitations as a player. The bulk of his recent goals have come against piss poor international sides. IMO, he lacks the skill and subtlety to really be effective against a top side like United.

It is ludicrous to compare Crouch to these world class players. I like Crouchie and think he contributes alot to the team but his "prolific" goal scoring form at the moment shouldn't mask his limitations as a player. The bulk of his recent goals have come against piss poor international sides. IMO, he lacks the skill and subtlety to really be effective against a top side like United.

we all know he is not a top draw player but he's the one who looks most likely to score. you have to have your top scorer playing especially when the team is suffering as it is.

also who was it who scored the winner at anfield in february against united in the fa cup?