You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Bolton game...

dave u

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post what I posted in another thread, as I don't believe it's too far off the mark:

We were shit.

Rafa got his tactics wrong today, and his comments before the match didn't help either. Their fans were their 13th man today, and their support obviously gave Bolton a boost. It probably had some effect on why the linesman was such a fucktard as well (though there's no excusing his decision).

We should have played them off the park with the players we've got, but we were all too willing to try to play them at their own game. Never a good decision.

Bolton would crumple under us if we played flowing football. Balls to feet instead of in the air.

Painful to watch.

I'll post what I posted in another thread, as I don't believe it's too far off the mark:

We were shit.

Rafa got his tactics wrong today, and his comments before the match didn't help either. Their fans were their 13th man today, and their support obviously gave Bolton a boost. It probably had some effect on why the linesman was such a fucktard as well (though there's no excusing his decision).

We should have played them off the park with the players we've got, but we were all too willing to try to play them at their own game. Never a good decision.

Bolton would crumple under us if we played flowing football. Balls to feet instead of in the air.

Painful to watch.

Rafa said after the match we played too many long balls. I don't think that was part of the tactical plan. I think that the players need to learn to be calm under pressure instead of playing the games via their emotions. You could tell they were playing on their emotions instead of their intellects because they were trying speculative efforts and punting pointless balls forward when there was still enough time to get back in the game. We needed to slow it down, in my opinion, by keeping the ball for it bit, calming it all down and then pressing on. Instead, it appeared they were getting desperate and frought.

Just thinking about the 4 away games, must be an amazing ratio of chances/goals against us.

I don't recall Sheffield United having one chance bar the goal.

Everton missed a good chance with Johnson when he missed a cross but nothing else.

Chelsea didn't even have a chance and scored.

Bolton had 2 shots and scored both.

Pretty fucking amazing and in stark contrast to us when Gerrard missed 3 against Everton, Kuyt hit the bar at Chelsea, Gerrard missed a sitter, Crouch had a great chance in the same game. Today we created less clear cut chances than in the others but still hit the post and forced their keeper into 3 or 4 good saves.

Throw in decisions like the 2 pens at Goodison, Lamaprds foul for a pen at Chelsea and todays first goal and SURELY our luck has to change soon. It's either that or we need some serious fucking shooting practise.

A 2-0 loss :angry:

Very very disappointing. I think we deserved far more from the game. We dominated the game from start to finish with Bolton having 2 chances and scoring twice. But we were poor and once again I have to say, if you don't score you don't win.

Today what shocked me most was the poor ball control of each man in our line up today. The passing was not the best even though we did create some openings. As soon as Bolton scored their first goal I knew it wasn't going to be our day. We all know that Reina did not handle the ball outside of the area and the free-kick should never have been given. Before that we had hit the post and carved out some openings but you have to take your chances.

I want to to know what is happening to our defence. Today was the same back four that kept a record number of clean sheets last season. We just seem unable to deal with crosses into our penalty area. I don't think the defenders are confident with Reina in goaland it's making them edgy.

Gerrard needs to be in the middle of the park, end of. He is wasted on the left. We aren't getting him on the ball enough and as a result he is not scoring and that limits us scoring as a team because he cannot create either. Sissoko is not on form at all. He hasn't looked right in the last few games. I know I will get slated for this but we looked a greater attacking force on wednesday with Gerrard and Alonso in the middle. Pennant is another who is not on form, he seems to wander inside alot. Pennant is another player who doesn't get enough of the ball in wide positions IMO, if he gets the ball on the edge of the box just cross it in, don't try and come inside.

I'm very very disappointed, get the lads sorted out offensively and defensively. We looked as if we didn't want it today. Is it something to do with the early kick offs? I don't know why it should but it's little things like that that make the difference.

Just thinking about the 4 away games, must be an amazing ratio of chances/goals against us.

I don't recall Sheffield United having one chance bar the goal.

Everton missed a good chance with Johnson when he missed a cross but nothing else.

Chelsea didn't even have a chance and scored.

Bolton had 2 shots and scored both.

Pretty fucking amazing and in stark contrast to us when Gerrard missed 3 against Everton, Kuyt hit the bar at Chelsea, Gerrard missed a sitter, Crouch had a great chance in the same game. Today we created less clear cut chances than in the others but still hit the post and forced their keeper into 3 or 4 good saves.

Throw in decisions like the 2 pens at Goodison, Lamaprds foul for a pen at Chelsea and todays first goal and SURELY our luck has to change soon. It's either that or we need some serious fucking shooting practise.

There is on common factor though,

Bar the chelsea game we have been defenisvely shite for all the goals we have conceeded

I'm so angry after this game. First the linesman fucked up so bad he shouldn't be allowed a game for the rest of the season. Then we fucked up defending the wrongly given free kick (although I'm still blaming the ref/linesman for 1-0, we really should've saved that free kick). 2nd half we let wrong decisions, Bolton players faking injuries, missed opportunities, etc. get to us. The players got frustrated and they shouldn't allow themsef that. I understand Alonso's frustration when he throws that ball against whoever it was faking injury nr 5, but he really should've let his spare energy go to something more useful. We played the game into Boltons hands and it pisses me off. I'm depressed now.

I agree with that, and I've just made more or less the same point here:

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/blog/?p=73

Well if there ever was a case of being robbed by the officials it was today. Absolutely shocking decision by the assistant referee. That said, we could have been better organized for the free-kick. The wall did not stand still, and our charging down of the shooter could have been better.

That joke of a situation aside, I thought we played a good first half. We were controlling the game and creating some chances. Bolton had fuck all. Still, both Sami and Finnan made bad errors that luckily went unpunished. Well, come to think of it, luckily isn't the word as we lost, but you get my drift.

The second half went pretty much the way Bolton wanted it to, and that is down the fucking toilet. We struggled to create clear cut chances and when Carra lost that header to Campo, it was game over.

In games like these I with increasing regularity find myself wanting Rafa to take off Momo and put Gerrard in the middle. Momo offers very little on the ball, and if he's to keep his place in the team, he needs to step up that part of his game.

It's disappointing that we're not able to create more chances in the second half, but Bolton are a difficult team to face away. I will not be surprised to see the other top teams losing points here as well. And they might even do it without the ref giving Bolton a 1-0 head start like that fucking free-kick today.

With three consecutive away defeats our title chances are looking slimmer by the game. Granted, we have had some difficult games. And that is the only thing that stops me from declaring our title challenge over right now.

I still believe that the race will be closer than it was last year with Chelsea possibly putting a lot of effort into the Champions League. But we can't keep losing our away games if we're going to be close enough to take advantage of their losses.

Even though I don't think we'll win the league, we're still not out of the race. But then again I didn't think we'd win it prior to today's defeat either.

Too bad Blackburn is two weeks away.

on the reinna hand ball everybody could see it was not handball and we were unlucky ,but having said that him conceding a free kick for that was always going to happen sooner or later,in every game he clears in that manner and i would say 50%of his drop kicks he handles outside the area

on the reinna hand ball everybody could see it was not handball and we were unlucky ,but having said that him conceding a free kick for that was always going to happen sooner or later,in every game he clears in that manner and i would say 50%of his drop kicks he handles outside the area

All goalkeepers do that. They steal an extra yard at the edge off the box because the linesman is supposed to be following the last defender.

The point about hitting the woodwork.

I make it:

Everton - 2 (Gerrard x2)

PSV - 2 (Gerrard, Kuyt)

Chelsea - 1 (Kuyt)

Newcastle - 1 (Garcia)

Spurs - 1 (Chimbonda)

Gala - 1 (Kuyt)

Bolton - 1 (Alonso)

9 in the last seven games.

Bellamy against Spurs aswell. Mental stuff, cant believe how many times its happened.

Hyypia banged a header off the post at Sheff Utd aswell

We were shit.

Painful to watch.

It was like Old Trafford before they scored the first.

According to Sky, the stats for shots in the match were as follows:

Liverpool - 13 shots, 4 on target, 0 goals

Bolton - 2 shots, 2 on target, 2 goals.

It's too easy to point the finger at this or that player. What those figures (and the game, obviously) say to me is that as a TEAM we were categorically not good enough today all over the pitch, whereas Bolton took their chances when they came. Whilst I understand Rafa's reasons for rotating the personnel and concede that his changes were tactical as much as they were about resting players, he made too many changes today for me. It's not really to do with the players he dropped or those he brought in, just the fact that changing a third of the side makes it difficult for players to find and keep their form.

Also, is Robbie injured at the moment or what? I ask because I'm not having it that he could play up top for a team who created 13 chances against Bolton and not put at least one of them in the net.

Whatever about the argument for playing Gerrard in the center or on the right surely he should not be played on the left anymore because it just seems to lessen his influence on games. If Pennant is not good enough he should be dropped. Also, I thought I would never say this, but Crouch should be starting.

is Robbie injured at the moment or what? I ask because I'm not having it that he could play up top for a team who created 13 chances against Bolton and not put at least one of them in the net.

To be honest though, we didn't really have 13 chances. A lot of our 'chances' seemed to be long range shots, which Robbie would have had no real involvement in.

To be honest though, we didn't really have 13 chances. A lot of our 'chances' seemed to be long range shots, which Robbie would have had no real involvement in.

Fair point. I wondered if he might have capitalised on any of Jaaskelainen's spills myself, as he looked nervous at times today. Seemed to have his bouncy gloves on or something.

Fair point. I wondered if he might have capitalised on any of Jaaskelainen's spills myself, as he looked nervous at times today. Seemed to have his bouncy gloves on or something.

Thought the same thing. Bellamy looked like cashing in a couple of times, but it just didn't happen for us.

I feel angry as fuck after that (only just finished watching it - had it plussed), but with frustration rather than the players or Rafa. We are just not having any luck whatsoever this season. The woodwork point has already been amply made and that decision was an utter disgrace. They really must change the refereeing set up in this country, adding two more liners and a video ref. I know the argument has always been that the amateur game can exactlt replicate the professional one, but fuck that; we're getting ripped off.

I think we've been very unlucky with our run of away opponents and it's also clear that none of the new boys have totally settled yet. We simply haven't "clicked" as a team. A settled side would obviously help as would playing Crouch away from home. That tactic was a key factor in our away form last season, but we seem to have totally ditched it.

I just hope that we can get a run of wins under our belts after the international break.