You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

Chris rock: Bush lied to me. They all lied to me. They said we had to invade, because they're the most dangerous country on earth. The most dangerous country. If they so dangerous, how come it took 2 weeks to take over the whole place? Shit, you couldn't take over Baltimore in 2 weeks.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Donald Trump has escalated a row in which he accused a black Democrat congressman of failing Baltimore, a city the US president described as a "rat and rodent infested mess" where "no human being would want to live."

Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, accused the US president of making "disgusting and racist" remarks and of having a "hate agenda".

tenor (4).gif

It’s ace watching all those associated with The Wore coming out and kicking off about the massive bellwhiff. 

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

After a gap of about 7 years I've got back to this now that it's a free box set on Sky at the minute until the end of June. Divorce and house moves meant I misplaced the DVD box set of it and I never bothered streaming it by other means. Unlike a few shows the hour run time with this feels a lot shorter, such a great show. It'll be finished in the next week or so.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Completed a rewatch of it all last night and it's even better than I remember. The whole part that still feels out of place is the serial killer plot of season 5, though the look at the media seems even more prescient. 

Still doesn't beat the Sopranos for me but it's so fucking good. I can't believe how wide the margin is between how good I thought it was (which was high) and how good it really is. A novel in TV form.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Completed a rewatch of it all last night and it's even better than I remember. The whole part that still feels out of place is the serial killer plot of season 5, though the look at the media seems even more prescient. 

Still doesn't beat the Sopranos for me but it's so fucking good. I can't believe how wide the margin is between how good I thought it was (which was high) and how good it really is. A novel in TV form.

Yeah I'm on season one again and talked the Mrs into watching it with me this time. After bigging it up to her for so long I was a bit apprehensive that on second viewing it might not be as good as I remembered. It's actually better though and thankfully she's really got into it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Yeah I'm on season one again and talked the Mrs into watching it with me this time. After bigging it up to her for so long I was a bit apprehensive that on second viewing it might not be as good as I remembered. It's actually better though and thankfully she's really got into it.

Rewatched this with the missus who hadn't seen it and she loved it, even more than the Sopranos. It took her 5 episodes to get into it though, it's quite daunting for first timers with its reputation and slang language used by cops and the dealers, it never treats the audience as anything less than adults.

• Upvote 1

Only watched all of these a couple of months ago, having done the same with The Sopranos a few months earlier.

Probably enjoyed The Wire more, both great obviously.

I've found the problem with both of these is that almost everything else just seems fucking terrible in comparison.

29 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Only watched all of these a couple of months ago, having done the same with The Sopranos a few months earlier.

Probably enjoyed The Wire more, both great obviously.

I've found the problem with both of these is that almost everything else just seems fucking terrible in comparison.

I've watched The Wire twice now. It's an incredible show but the last season lost one of it's writers. It is noticeable. Still, the last season is great while the others are amazing.

I've watched The Sopranos once having tried to watch it a year or so ago. I am normally quite busy with my work so I only normally get to watch four or five hours of TV per week at the most in normal circumstances. I found the first season of The Sopranos quite slow going. It's building a story and giving inside information on all the characters but the first season was quite a tough grind for me personally and I just couldn't get past that on my first try. Ploughing through it with more time, I got through the first season much quicker and it starts delivering a lot more story with each character. The first season was essential for the stories to make sense but watching an episode or two a week, I would never have got through it. Also the ending is a little unfulfilling to the story, although it is extremely clever how it ends.

Both shows strengths are character based. There are other shows with great characters too and that for me personally is up there with the most important criteria. Other shows have them like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Shield and Dexter spring to mind. Others are there too.

I'm currently on Season 7 of Game Of Thrones on first full watch. Again, I found the first season a bit of a grind but with more time it has a brilliant set of characters that need that time to develop. It's just hard to get through with just one or two hours per week.

As great as The Wire and The Sopranos are, they are not perfect and that gives other shows a chance. They all have flaws, it's just how noticeable they are. They are very small in the above shows (last season on Dexter excepted!) Some however are so noticeable that it makes them fucking shit.

5 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Was watching Sleepers a few weeks ago and spotted Bunk in it as Little Caeser

One of his first starring roles was in the old TV show 'The Equalizer' with Edward Woodward'.

I saw a couple of clips of 'Coming To America' from 1988 - both Commissioner Burrell (The Wire) and Gustavo Frings (Breaking Bad) had small roles.

27 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Watching this again at the moment, it’s her first time watching and I’d forgotten how much I loved Norman. 

Would have been brilliant if he could have been in it more. 

Yeah he's a boss actor. He's class in Oz and he was good in Luke Cage recently too, which was his last role sadly.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah he's a boss actor. He's class in Oz and he was good in Luke Cage recently too, which was his last role sadly.

Never watched either of those so might have to give them a go when we finish this. 

Some of his one liners are brilliant. 

22 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Never watched either of those so might have to give them a go when we finish this. 

Some of his one liners are brilliant. 

Started watching it again last week and convinced the wife to watch it this time.  We're on season 3 now and the Mrs is hooked.  Her favourite so far is season 2.

Frank Sobotka man, hits me right in the feels every time.  I still want to strangle Ziggy the little cunt.  

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Don't fuck with Querns.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Started watching it again last week and convinced the wife to watch it this time.  We're on season 3 now and the Mrs is hooked.  Her favourite so far is season 2.

Frank Sobotka man, hits me right in the feels every time.  I still want to strangle Ziggy the little cunt.  

This is my 10th time, the missus 1st. Like yours she’s hooked and loving it. She’s furloughed at the moment and wants to watch another episode at 2/3 in the morning, I’m having to get up and do 12 hour shifts! 

Season 2 has always been my favourite but season 4 has really run it close this time. 

• Upvote 2