You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World Club Championship

Mr Piechnik

Liverpool will play either Sydney FC or Costa Rica's Deportivo Saprissa in December's Fifa Club World Championship following Saturday's draw in Tokyo.

The European champions have been seeded along with defending champions Sao Paulo and join at the semi-final stage.

Oceania representatives Sydney would relish a meeting with the Anfield club.

"Australia is still a colony in a lot of ways so playing against the motherland will be like the Ashes," said Sydney boss Andy Harper.

"We are under no illusions. It will be difficult to get to the semi-finals. But Liverpool are a massive club and we would love a crack at them.

Sydney are coached by former Germany international Pierre Littbarski and earlier this year signed former Manchester United forward Dwight Yorke.

South American champions Sao Paulo do not know the identity of their first opponents, but the Brazilian outfit won the old World Club Cup - between the champions of South America and Europe - in 1992 and 1993.

Liverpool were beaten 3-0 by Flamengo in 1981 and 1-0 by Independiente in 1984.

The winners of the new tournament - set to take place in Japan from 11-18 December - will win £2.5m in prize money.

2.5 million for a couple of wins? that sounds like good buisness to me!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"like the Ashes"?!?!?

That implies Englishness - we aren't doing this for Queen and country matey, just for us!

How long before Kenwright or Moyes start moaning that they're not in this competition too?

How do you all feel about this competition? I would really love us to win it. Apart from the obvious opportunities to wind our rivals up about being the greatest team in the world, there's the real possibility (IMO) that this could become as prestigious as the European Cup in years to come. Being the first British club to win it would give our club yet another record to add to our fantastic history.

You are mixing it up with the Intercontinental Cup you big goofball.

Sorry, I thought the title of this thread said "World Club Championship". So have Liverpool won the championship of Europe on 4 occassions or 5, have we never been champions of England.

Only the name has changed. Whatever a goofball is, you've just become a member of the club. :tease:

Sorry, I thought the title of this thread said "World Club Championship". So have Liverpool won the championship of Europe on 4 occassions or 5, have we never been champions of England.

Only the name has changed. Whatever a goofball is, you've just become a member of the club. :tease:

The competition is completely different as in the Intercontinental there was only one game. It's like saying the Super Cup is the Champions League.

Hmmm, I think it was a bit more than a rebranding job, but then so was Champions League I suppose. I think the changes in the World Club jobby is enough to call it a separate deal, but it is a fine line I'll grant you.

Guest Gazmo25

To all intents and purposes, it is the same competition. In the build up to the CL final, we weren't singing 'just like a team, that's gonna win the champions league' It was European Cup. Getting back to the competition, I would like us to win it, purely and simply because it is pretty much the only thing missing from our CV. Am I right in thinking as well that the man of the match wins a car?

To all intents and purposes, it is the same competition. In the build up to the CL final, we weren't singing 'just like a team, that's gonna win the champions league' It was European Cup. Getting back to the competition, I would like us to win it, purely and simply because it is pretty much the only thing missing from our CV. Am I right in thinking as well that the man of the match wins a car?

Yeah, but the amount of times I heard "you have never won the Champions League though" it would be too much to resist gving a bit back. Resorting to their tactics? Too fucking right.

Yeah, but the amount of times I heard "you have never won the Champions League though" it would be too much to resist gving a bit back. Resorting to their tactics? Too fucking right.

I'll accept your apology as you're relatively new on here. The others however, have no excuse and can add this to the list of humiliating climbdowns when questioning my knowledge. ;)

I'll accept your apology as you're relatively new on here. The others however, have no excuse and can add this to the list of humiliating climbdowns when questioning my knowledge. ;)

But the fact that you pissed off and spent 15 minutes looking for evidence to back up your argument takes the shine off your "victory" though. That FIFA link says it was "based on the foundations of the Toyota Cup". Matrix Reloaded was based on the foundations of Matrix and we all know that Reloaded was Phil Babb.