You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Tottenham Hotspur 2 (May 5 2024)

matchreportheader.jpg

Well that was better, I suppose. It didn’t feel that way at full time, but on reflection this was mostly good up until both teams made substitutions and the game turned on its head. Thankfully we had a four goal cushion, and thankfully Paul Tierney and VAR chose to ignore a reasonable penalty appeal for Spurs that could have got them back to 4-3. Had that happened, I think we’d have blown it.

There were serious flashbacks to last season when we blew a 3-0 lead to Spurs and then Jota popped up seconds later to win it. This was so close to the same thing happening, and it would mostly have been on Klopp for the substitutions he made, which really unsettled us. However, we’re 4-0 up, he should have been able to send on the entire u18 side and still hold onto the result. 

I think I’ll just focus mostly on the good though, as we’ve not had too much of that over the past 5 or 6 weeks. We played pretty well for an hour. Very well even. The best we’ve played for a couple of months, easily. Of course it helps when you put a few chances away. We’ve probably ‘played’ better than this but when you don’t convert any chances it’s easy to overlook that.

I also think the opponent is a factor. Spurs are so easy to play against it’s a miracle they are in the top five. At half time I really thought there was a good chance we’d get six or seven, and had Klopp not made those changes I’m sure we would have. So fucking easy to play against with that high line and no pressure on the ball. 

The funny thing was for the first few minutes we couldn’t even get a kick of the ball. As much as I’m being critical of Spurs, one thing I will give them credit for is some of their one touch passing and movement. We couldn’t get near them at times, but it didn’t really get them anywhere because it wasn’t in dangerous areas.

And then when we did finally get the ball, we looked like we were in the mood and they were struggling to cope with us. The first thing to say is that Mo finally shrugged off that wretched form he’s been in since coming back from the injury. This was the Salah we saw all season prior to that injury. Not brilliant, occasionally infuriating, but always a danger and constant threat to either score or create a goal. 

View full article

• Like 1

• dave u pinned this topic
1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Having trained with Suarez, i struggle to understand how Nunez makes so many bad choices on finishing whether he's inform or not. Did he not watch the master in training?

When did you train with Luis, DP ?

• Upvote 4

Would love to know how Gomez's foot, facing away from the player and moving with no real power would be dangerous at all. Johnson could have gone full Darwin-awards Skipp and still been absolutely fine.

8 hours ago, Anubis said:

Richarlison was offside when Johnson collided with the post. It was never going to be a penalty.

Yeah but he looked offside on Son's goal too, didn't stop them giving that!

2 hours ago, Barnesey said:

Confused as to why gakpo doesn’t get a pen but havertz does. 

The Gakpo one is more or less the same as a couple that Everton didn't get recently. Virtually the same thing. It's also the same as one Everton conceded against United. 

Whether they are given or not depends on the teams involved and the referee. 

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Having trained with Suarez, i struggle to understand how Nunez makes so many bad choices on finishing whether he's inform or not. Did he not watch the master in training?

True, but he could just watch Jota every day too. It's genuinely baffling to me. 

• Upvote 2

I’d like to believe things will click for Nunez at some point, but he’s 25 and it probably won’t. 

He’s a good example of why analytics should only be used with good old fashioned eyesight. No point in having a personal xG of about 5 in every game when you make Timo Werner (another fella who  struggles with the concept of offside) look like Ian Rush.

We should sell him now when he still commands a high transfer fee and let Slot bring in the winger people think he’ll want to play with. 

• Upvote 2

This is Klopp 2.0 (more like 3.0 or 4.0) and it shows at times, there should be no criticism of the manager for making 3 changes at 4-0, in fact that should give us the energy to stuff them even more. 

But our game management is levels below Klopp 1.0 (or more likely 2.0) and that's another factor for the new manager 

I think on that Mo missed chance he shouts "keepers" as the ball was about to be cleared, it tricked Van der Ven to leave it but Mo couldn't sort his feet out in time. I don't think he expected it to work. They both seemed to laugh about it afterwards.

All season I've thought wait until we click and someone will get destroyed. To be fair, we've walloped a few in the cups and we've put 4 past a few in the League but not quite a serious mauling. 

Watch us next season, someone will cop 6 or 7 for sure, law of averages will prevail. 

• dave u unpinned this topic