You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 0 Manchester United 0 (Dec 17 2023)

tlw content

matchreportheader.jpg

This is a game we should be winning easily. We’ve beaten comfortably beaten the likes of West Ham and Villa at Anfield this season, both of whom are better than this abomination of a Manchester United side. The difference is that we were playing some decent footy then but recently we’ve lost our way. Another difference is that Villa and West Ham (not to mention Bournemouth and Fulham) didn’t come here just hoping to avoid a bumming.

Everyone knew how United would approach the game and I’ve got no problem with that whatsoever. They’re shite, they’ve got half their best team missing and the last time they came here they lost 7-0. So they’re one and only thought for this game was “don’t get embarrassed”. We were never going to smash them, but we should be beating them by two, three, maybe four goals. They’ll never admit this but I’m sure that United would have taken a one or two goal defeat before kick off.

But the longer the game went the more comfortable it was for them and the more it was beginning to feel like they might even steal the points with a late breakaway. Thankfully that didn’t happen because Trent and then Alisson came to the rescue. Of course we could have won it too, we had plenty of chances despite how shit we were in the final third, but making hard work of it against shite like this doesn’t bode well.

I’m officially concerned about our form now. I was mildly perturbed by it after the last few games but with this game on the horizon I thought we’d rise to the occasion and we’d see a proper performance. I wasn’t forming any conclusions after Sheffield United or Palace, even Fulham to some extent (we didn’t play that badly but needed to score three absolute fucking worldies to beat them). It hadn’t been good but it’s a home game, against United, under the lights and with the new Anny Road end open at last. We’d surely rise to the occasion and put the patchy form behind us. 

Except we didn’t, this was shit. Statistically it might look like a decent performance just lacking a goal or two, but my eyes can’t be fooled so easily. I know what I saw, and this was garbage in the final third. Barring maybe two or three moves, everything we did was shit. So yeah it’s concerning because we’ve got players out of form and a system that I keep being told is working yet we rarely end games playing the same system that we started it with.

We were top of the table going into this weekend so it seems churlish to be complaining. And I’m not really. This isn’t complaining, it’s just observations really. None of us expected a title challenge this season and I think most of us were anticipating bumps in the road and some teething problems as we bed in an entirely new midfield. But when City fall off the way they have and we find ourselves top in the middle of December, that changes expectations somewhat.

View full article

• dave u pinned this topic

Width. It all comes down to width. We are much better when Joe Gomez is on the pitch.

Composure, it alll comes down to composure. You’re spot on about Harvey being on earlier. We just look more likely when he’s on, and we wouldn’t have been hitting ridiculously hopeful shots every 2 minutes. I’m still not sure about him as a starter, but 35 minutes of Harvey gives us a much better chance.

As per the match thread, I don’t see the Endo praise. He works hard etc, but his first touch is so poor it plays him into trouble making stretching tackles necessary. Like you said, Jurgen was pissed when praising him.

Massive game against Arsenal now. They will give it a go. Without Mac we are wide open. I’d play Curtis and Trent in CM, Gomez Rb and just have a go.

West Ham can have a free hit on weds as far as I’m concerned 

Trent is often being pushed into midfield because Szobozlai's form has really fallen off a cliff. 4 of the top 5 teams in the league are using slight variations of this inverted full back system and are winning many more games than the 16 other teams. That says something. The system is good but some of our personnel are currently not executing it very well for us due to varying factors. 

Our 3 box 3 system requires the number 8 on the right to make runs out wide when Salah is cutting in. That player should be providing the width and offering themselves for combination play with the wide forward. Henderson did it decently while he was at the club. Szobozlai was doing it perfectly for the first couple months. He isn't doing so any longer. Hence he keeps getting subbed or moved over to the left, and Klopp then pushes Trent into midfield with Gomez coming on as RB.

• Upvote 2

Endo was our best player in this game. That's the extent of the praise I've given him! I'm not saying he starts every game or we don't need to sign a six, I'm saying he played well against United and deserves credit for that.

As for Dom, I said in the report his last good game was Forest. The thing I remember from that game was him making those surging runs outside of Mo as we ran them ragged down that side. Not seen it since, not necessarily because he isn't making the runs but because the quality hasn't been there when he has.

• Upvote 1

I still can't figure out what our system is or is going to be. We haven't had a clear one since Mane, Bobby and Salah were firing on all cylinders.

We've got quality players but it feels like we're getting by on flashes of individual brilliance, which was "the liverpool way" for most of the last 30 years. 

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I still can't figure out what our system is or is going to be. We haven't had a clear one since Mane, Bobby and Salah were firing on all cylinders.

We've got quality players but it feels like we're getting by on flashes of individual brilliance, which was "the liverpool way" for most of the last 30 years. 

The system we use in most games  has been clear for the last 8 months or so. And it has helped us win more points than any other team in that period.

I guess a disappointing draw at home to Man Utd is a very efficient eraser of memories though.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Endo was our best player in this game. That's the extent of the praise I've given him! I'm not saying he starts every game or we don't need to sign a six, I'm saying he played well against United and deserves credit for that.

As for Dom, I said in the report his last good game was Forest. The thing I remember from that game was him making those surging runs outside of Mo as we ran them ragged down that side. Not seen it since, not necessarily because he isn't making the runs but because the quality hasn't been there when he has.

Correct. Endo does deserve credit when due.

I still think we definitely need to buy a top class, very mobile and physically robust number 6. Doing so would free Mac Allister to be used further forward. In some of these games against low block teams, we really need his vision and cleverness on the ball. This league title is there to be won and I believe signing that top class number 6 in January would make us favourites.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Correct. Endo does deserve credit when due.

I still think we definitely need to buy a top class, very mobile and physically robust number 6. Doing so would free Mac Allister to be used further forward. In some of these games against low block teams, we really need his vision and cleverness on the ball. This league title is there to be won and I believe signing that top class number 6 in January would make us favourites.

Yep, I hear you. Fairly sure we're both going to be disappointed in January though.

12 hours ago, piphomer said:

Got anyone in mind? Andre?

Unfortunately, it seems that deal is dead in the water. Saw some quotes from today mentioning that he'd prefer Barcelona or Madrid.

I won't mind having Palhinha from Fulham. I think he has the highest success rate in tackles. Mobile, aggressive, no nonsense DM but also can play a bit. No coincidence that Bayern were bent on signing him in the summer but the paperwork didn't go through. Only issue is his age. He is 28. And because we already have Endo who is 30, it's likely the club would be looking for a younger DM.

• dave u unpinned this topic