You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 3 Aston Villa 0 - Match Reaction & Ryan Gravenberch discussion

tlw content

Good stuff again lads. I don't and didn't get the drama around our lack of urgency around defenders. Matip and Gomez are as good as any 3rd and 4th choice CB's anywhere in the world. Gomez was being criticised for looking rusty, of course he would be rusty playing every 6 weeks dnd had no midfield in front of him. If anyone thought some new guy would come in and look sharp as fuck every time he gets a minute or two then they're in for a rude awakening. 

Identifying Matip's replacement and giving Quansah some game time is key for thus season. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, aws said:

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to buy a croissant for me. 

Buying them is fine when you can just pick them up and pay, its when in a place like Pretter Manger and you have to say it that I become uncomfortable.

• Haha 1

Someone on the Podcast mentioned position-less basketball when talking about the multi-positional players we've signed and how it leans towards a more flexible team.

That isn't a million miles away from Fernando Diniz's Fluminese that we mentioned earlier in the summer.

Don't think we're going fully that way but there may be some principles that apply.

There was also some talk earlier this summer about the street football set up they've put together as part of training, 'Melwood Arena', which would also play into the small pitch/futsal/Gaiolas style thinking.

On 02/06/2023 at 08:41, TD_LFC said:

They've moved away from the generally accepted principles of controlling and protecting space in favour of 'relationships' grouping players in small spaces and a seemingly structureless system.

Presumably it has some of it's basis in Futsal but not sure.

Here's one video on it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

The first time I remember the pronunciation of foreign footballers' names becoming ' a thing ' was during the 1978 World Cup, when the Argentine winger suddenly went from Rene Houseman to Rene Houseeeman via David Coleman.

Not those Kuntz over in Germany then?

6 hours ago, No2 said:

Good stuff again lads. I don't and didn't get the drama around our lack of urgency around defenders. Matip and Gomez are as good as any 3rd and 4th choice CB's anywhere in the world. Gomez was being criticised for looking rusty, of course he would be rusty playing every 6 weeks dnd had no midfield in front of him. If anyone thought some new guy would come in and look sharp as fuck every time he gets a minute or two then they're in for a rude awakening. 

Identifying Matip's replacement and giving Quansah some game time is key for thus season. 

I’d agree on this. If we look at the 21 season in particular, we saw Phillips and Williams guide us through to CL at CB, once we restored Fab and Henderson to midfield. When we moved Fab and Hendo back into CB slots we faltered.

From that tin if results a strong, clear midfield seems more important than having CB cover. 

So I’m happy we’ve gone down the let’s beef up midfield over getting in a CB or RB. Plus Endo has played a lot at CB RB so could be our new Milner.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Great podcast. Chris is like the resigned wife to Dave's enthusiastic husband who has decided to embark on another of his wacky ideas. Could be a sitcom this.

All we'd need to do is start filming the podcasts and my sense of utter exasperation would be laid to bare for the world.

• Upvote 4

Quick word for @Paul on the lack of interest for Gvardiol. I’m sure we were interested. As with Bellingham though, a package would have been much too expensive for us and our wage structure. Whatever Real are supposedly giving him (and his family) is probably triple of what is the official number. Same with the oil clubs, whenever one of our targets gets linked and gets a sniff of what they are offering (via their agents in most cases), it’s over.

I guess Gvardiol is on double of what Salah is earning for us. If we want to play by the rules, the wages for the likes of him and Caicedo just aren’t feasible. Thankfully there are some loopholes, and while they are making a good fist of it, Chelsea can’t buy everyone!! Just to clarify, we could probably afford the transfer fees for Bellingham or Gvardiol in isolation, but that won’t help much once their agents get news of the difference in wages.

This won’t really change for the foreseeable future either, unless we suddenly start spending the potential Saudi money coming in for Salah. Not like we didn’t use oil/blood money from the hyper inflated Coutinho transfer. I’m not really comfortable with us having to rely on the Saudis to fund this years and probably future transfer windows, but it is what it is at the moment.

• Upvote 1

On the season opening pod, I can't remember who was on, but a couple said that they felt that the season had started too early and weren't mentally ready for the season to start just yet. I think that was reflected across the forum. 

Has the good start to the season changed people's minds and increased the enthusiasm for the year? 

• dave u unpinned this topic