You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

14 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Diaz is a good player, who can be very good in a lot of games. In a functioning attack, he is a real handful because he creates space for others. I don't love him but I do like him. He isn't the problem.

Diaz does not create space for others, 90% of the time he gets the ball and runs with it until he loses it  or is forced to make a coward pass to get rid of it.

2 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

A balanced view, and agree with most of it.

It seems however we need to get rid of Salah first. He’s been going backwards for a couple of years now, and this season has been very poor. The team has looked significantly better when he’s been out, and the sample size is pretty decent now.

His numbers are still decent, but you could say the same about Zlatan and Ronaldo at United. But none of them made the team better, and I think we’ve Come to that stage with Salah as well. 

Probably not a good idea to let both go at the same time, and Salah clearly needs to go first of the two, based on how much they bring to the team and of course also age and wages.

The front three did look better without Salah, I agree.

I said the other week that when we needed him the most he disappeared. That's just beyond question. It's the business end of the season, this is when the top players stand up to be counted but he's gone the other way. He's not alone in that but he's the £85m striker we brought in to convert chances. Those players get the big bucks because the hardest part of football is that final bit.

He's just not good enough at that on a consistent basis.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Code said:

I have hardly said anything about Salah, some people, you included seems absolutely obsessed with him though.

In the post you qoute Im talking about Diaz and how his lack of football brain is taking the rythm and fluidity out of our attacking play.

Yet again you make it about Salah.

For the love of God, please make it stop.

I remember another winger we had who used to get the ball a lot and used to run with it a lot, his name was Jermaine Pennant, I detested him, he was absolutely useless, yet there were loads thinking he was great because he did run a lot with the ball.

Diaz is certainly better than Pennant, but he has some of the same flaws in his game, flaws that only have a negative contribution to the overall quality in our game. 

Play the fuckin ball, not when you have to, but when you can and should. 

CL final in Athens is a great example, a lot of people keep saying Pennant as our best player, I thought he was the worst and it would be better to play with 10 men, so all the time Pennant as on the ball actually could have been used to do something positive instead. 

Disingenuous.  You smear your opinions of Salah all over the forums - including in the match thread last night - like a dirty protest with the added bonus of decontextuialised screenshots of stats.  Always with the subtext that you see things that we interloping amateurs just can't see.

In that thread you were absolving Salah of all blame which you lay squarley at the feet of Diaz.  Diaz was our best player last night, and was trying to make things happen.  He received little to no support from his fellow front liners.  So here we are.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, kemskem said:

The front three did look better without Salah, I agree.

The club will struggle to sell him. He's on a massive new contract so I cant see anyone else matching it unless he goes to Saudi. He's too old for any of the big European clubs to pay £100m plus now. Maybe the club let him go for a much smaller amount just to reduce the wage bill. 

6 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Name 50 better LW’s in the league better than Diaz. 

I can name three Norwegian left backs who are better left backs than Salah.  See if that computes...

9 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Name 50 better LW’s in the league better than Diaz. 

I cant, but I can tell you that he’s got 4 assists in 47 games this season.

15 minutes ago, razor said:

Disingenuous.  You smear your opinions of Salah all over the forums - including in the match thread last night - like a dirty protest with the added bonus of decontextuialised screenshots of stats.  Always with the subtext that you see things that we interloping amateurs just can't see.

In that thread you were absolving Salah of all blame which you lay squarley at the feet of Diaz.  Diaz was our best player last night, and was trying to make things happen.  He received little to no support from his fellow front liners.  So here we are.

Obsession is not good for you. 

Diaz was not our best player last night, the end.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Everyone’s favourite whipping boy. 

Do you really believe that? I don't think we have another player who gets as much credit for any little positive thing he does. The crowd loves him. And (almost) no one on here is saying that he's the only problem, or that Mo has been any better than him in recent weeks. The difference is that Mo is one of our best ever players, with 6 largely brilliant seasons behind him. Darwin has now been here for almost two years, and apart from flashes he just doesn't look reliable enough for a title chasing side.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

It's hard work when you're pulling the ball back to Salah and Nuñez. 

If he pulls the ball back at all its usually to a defender or into a crowded area where nothing will come off it. 

19 minutes ago, Code said:

Obsession is not good for you. 

Diaz was not our best player last night, the end.

You must have watched a different game. Effort alone put Diaz head and shoulders above everyone else. He was making runs, creating space, taking players on- he was just surrounded by subdued ineptitude.

Losing Mane and signing Nunez looked a decent move at the time. About 10 games in it was clear we'd dropped a clanger   

13 minutes ago, Dave D said:

You must have watched a different game. Effort alone put Diaz head and shoulders above everyone else. He was making runs, creating space, taking players on- he was just surrounded by subdued ineptitude.

Losing Mane and signing Nunez looked a decent move at the time. About 10 games in it was clear we'd dropped a clanger   

Don’t be fooled by Diaz’ bluster. His end product is consistently below the required standard in a team chasing the league.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

Do you really believe that? I don't think we have another player who gets as much credit for any little positive thing he does. The crowd loves him. And (almost) no one on here is saying that he's the only problem, or that Mo has been any better than him in recent weeks. The difference is that Mo is one of our best ever players, with 6 largely brilliant seasons behind him. Darwin has now been here for almost two years, and apart from flashes he just doesn't look reliable enough for a title chasing side.

Whether I believe it or not is irrelevant mate 

1 hour ago, Tenfolder said:

This is where I get labelled a superfan or whatever, but yup.

Nunez absolutely deserves the piles of criticism he gets in terms of not being able to finish or hit a barn door from 2ft away and not looking like he's got it in him to be a top forward, but the way some seem to be blaming him as if he's the sole reason for recent losses is just way off, maybe if we stopped shipping easy goals/going behind first practically every game we wouldnt need to pressure our forwards to need to score at least two fucking goals every game, the losses/silly draws are a whole team issue, Nunez just as a whole trove of other overpaid pricks has his responsibility for them.

I agree that he is not the only one. But he’s also indicative of where we are now at as a team now. I think he’s Europa league level, alongside the likes of gravenberch, sobozlai, Gakpo and numerous others who can’t be relied upon. And you take away one of the world’s best managers and it’s a worrying prospect. I’ve been saying since the Man Utd cup game, these last few weeks have had the stench of a 1990’s Liverpool side. And that is no way all on Nunez, but he’s part of the problem not the solution in my opinion. 

48 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

I've been very pro Nunez but my opinion changed as we've got to the business end and we've needed big moments from big players to be the difference, he's not a big player and is incapable of big moments. 

He's a good player, he's not the Andy Carroll style donkey he's been portrayed as, he's a formidable attacker - just not a number 9 in a million years, and definitely not a number 9 at a big club chasing honours. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Nunez is 25 in a months time. He is what he is as a player. He might have a great season now and then but he won't suddenly turn into a reliable goal scorer. 

I think thats a great summation. 

To me, thats not a player Id get rid of because this squad has a lot of holes and I wouldnt just get rid of someone entering his prime age, at a loss, that has the ability to make things happen.

Equally though, theres no chance we will ever be able to rely on him as a main guy. The most disappointing thing is that, anybody with eyes could see he wasnt good technically, but the finishing is the part that has just been shocking. While that part might fluctuate at some point, no one will ever forget how bad it was when it counted this season. 

Darwin can't handle being the main man, in Jota's absence he has truly been found out. The pressure of being the central striker for a team challenging for the title has completely buckled him. A support act is the best we can expect from him...assuming he's still here next season.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think thats a great summation. 

To me, thats not a player Id get rid of because this squad has a lot of holes and I wouldnt just get rid of someone entering his prime age, at a loss, that has the ability to make things happen.

Equally though, theres no chance we will ever be able to rely on him as a main guy. The most disappointing thing is that, anybody with eyes could see he wasnt good technically, but the finishing is the part that has just been shocking. While that part might fluctuate at some point, no one will ever forget how bad it was when it counted this season. 

End of next season he'll have 2 years left on his deal and the subject of a new contract and a pay rise will be on the agenda while his value continues to decrease.

If the new manager doesn't think he can get anything out of him then he has to go.