You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Yet you know that had nothing to do with yesterdays game because we were talking about Aston Villa and how you don't think he'll play because the game won't be as open.

He won't play against villa, because it's never been in the plan for him to play against villa. Klopp said as much yesterday. We need to create a platform for him to play, yet we're still defending like 10 year olds making that impossible. When we start controlling games, he'll get his chance. He's the lad to replace Salah's goals when he fucks off. 

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

He's been here a year and 2 months, at some point the settle needs to happen rather than the excuse he needs time, other players are afforded far less leeway.

Hopefully yesterday was the turning point.

Happy to disagree here, but I still don't think he's had enough of a run in the team at CF to judge him yet.

It's easy to say in hindsight but I was saying in the pub before KO, the kid has magic in his boots and we need to find a way to unlock it.

I'm not seeing any greater level of play or hopd up play from the forwards who are starting ahead of him at the moment.

His general play isn't what some, especially TurD are making out to be - he did a great pull back for Jota that he completely missed and he's had plenty of assists in other games. 

Gakpo had a great chance late in in the first half but his touch and awareness of where he was, was really bad. If that had been Darwin, TurD would still be going on about it now.

Just now, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Happy to disagree here, but I still don't think he's had enough of a run in the team at CF to judge him yet.

I agree that he hasn't had a consistent run in the team, but where we may differ is I suspect you see that as a cause of his inconsistency whereas I see that as result of it.

As Klopp said last season defending and pressing starts from the front and it is as much the responsibility of the strikers as it is the defenders, everyone presses, everyone defends, everyone is involved in the build up.

That's not Nunez's game (or hasn't been up to this point) yet we're meant to believe we're edging towards a utopic vision of a Klopp Liverpool teams that has 10 men doing the work and a striker stripped of any responsibility.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Klopp said as much yesterday. We need to create a platform for him to play, yet we're still defending like 10 year olds making that impossible.

His comments were 

"It's early in the season we need to find stability, we need to find formation, we need to get results and then (after the international break) we play anyway our three days and everyone will play, there's no doubt about that. Even if Darwin had started the first three games he would not play more games afterwards because of the intensity, he can't, so we need to find a way of play again and that's what are, what we try to create this is a completely new team in with new key players that's how it is and so that needs time and so yes for him definitely he'll, strikers scores two goals and you can see he needs us I don't know what to get a smile out of his face, rightly so but, umm, but for the team it was super important that we got something like that you need these kind of things to grow together and you cannot create it you have to force it pretty much and the boys did that today, oh my god how much I enjoyed that..."

That's not a we're building a Nunez formation and we just need to plug him in when it's done, that's his usual we'll keep as settled a side as we can before the international break when the number of games is manageable and will have to make more use of the entire squad when the number of games increases the same as he's done every year.

Diaz and Nunez were a bizarre departure from our previous transfer strategy. To me they have the same issues.

Both with immense abilities, but really raw tactically and coming to England with big cultural adaptation needed.

I absolutely get why people think they are immense and tantalizing. Darwin can score those incredible finishes like he did yesterday and be an absolute menace. Diaz can beat players at will and do awesome things, but it seems just really difficult to fit them into our tactics. Doesn't help the tactics are as muddled as ever, either.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Diaz and Nunez were a bizarre departure from our previous transfer strategy. To me they have the same issues.

Both with immense raw abilities, but really raw tactically and coming to England with big cultural adaptation needed.

I absolutely get why people think they are immense. Darwin can score those incredible finishes like he did yesterday and look like an absolute menace. Diaz can beat players at will and do awesome things, but it seems just really difficult to fit them into our tactics. Doesn't help the tactics are as muddled as ever, either.

Small sample size, but Diaz looks to have added goals to his game this season. Both so far were very well poached, which bodes well. They weren't his usual cutting in from the sideline and curling it into far corner efforts. 

37 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

It's easy to say in hindsight but I was saying in the pub before KO, the kid has magic in his boots and we need to find a way to unlock it.

IMG_7947.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Small sample size, but Diaz looks to have added goals to his game this season. Both so far were very well poached, which bodes well. They weren't his usual cutting in from the sideline and curling it into far corner efforts. 

It's not really about the goals for me. I just think he kind of plays on an island on his wing, and has tunnel vision.

Kind of hard to say how good he is off ball and at pressing. He is in the 11 when fit, so I assume Klopp is fine with it. There's just something missing with him for me where he is an exceptionally talented player but I don't think he makes us better for whatever reason.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Both with immense abilities, but really raw tactically and coming to England with big cultural adaptation needed.

I absolutely get why people think they are immense and tantalizing. Darwin can score those incredible finishes like he did yesterday and be an absolute menace. Diaz can beat players at will and do awesome things, but it seems just really difficult to fit them into our tactics. Doesn't help the tactics are as muddled as ever, either.

I think it helps that we have such a variety of different attacking options at our disposal. If you look at other teams we've arguably got the best five attacking players overall. Yesterday was a prime example. Sometimes the industry of Gakpo and Jota doesn't work so you need someone who can just bang a goal out of nothing.

Not many players can score those sort of goals that Nunez scores yesterday.

Is this the same Diaz who joined us, immediately made the left side his own and deservedly took the spot off Sadio mane, almost was a key part of pushing us to the quadruple and then was just unlucky with a serious injury last season? That Diaz were questioning?

I think they're both fucking brilliant and as I've been saying, I wouldn't swap our forward options for anyones

• Upvote 6

44 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think it helps that we have such a variety of different attacking options at our disposal. If you look at other teams we've arguably got the best five attacking players overall. Yesterday was a prime example. Sometimes the industry of Gakpo and Jota doesn't work so you need someone who can just bang a goal out of nothing.

Not many players can score those sort of goals that Nunez scores yesterday.

I think it's a double-edged sword. Was saying this last year, but while it's nice having 5 good attackers that cover all the bases, I don't think any of them really form a complimentary trio.

The advantage is that any of them can come on as a sub and impact games, but I don't see any of the combinations forming a balanced, coherent attack like we had with Mané-Firmino-Salah.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, etho said:

Is this the same Diaz who joined us, immediately made the left side his own and deservedly took the spot off Sadio mane, almost was a key part of pushing us to the quadruple and then was just unlucky with a serious injury last season? That Diaz were questioning?

I think they're both fucking brilliant and as I've been saying, I wouldn't swap our forward options for anyones

Not sure I’ve seen that Diaz, but I have seen the Diaz who doesn’t do much then explodes and scores the odd goal.  No way was he going to replace a fit and focused Mane, who gave so much more in his overall game. 

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think it's a double-edged sword. Was saying this last year, but while it's nice having 5 good attackers that cover all the bases, I don't think any of them really form a complimentary trio.

The advantage is that any of them can come on as a sub and impact games, but I don't see any of the combinations forming a balanced, coherent attack like we had with Mané-Firmino-Salah.

I get that.

Mane, Firming and Salah was close to perfection, we'd struggle to replicate that whoever we brought in.

Jota is a wasp. He zips about the place causing mayhem. Defenders hate playing against him because he's just an awkward little fucker. Even when he isn't playing well he keeps defenders occupied. I'd start him every game if I was Klopp.

Yesterday may well be something for Darwin to build upon but I can't see Klopp starting him next game. He more or less confirmed this in the after match interview.

It seems that often opinions of our players are decided by that of rival fans and even worse is that they are then taken as gospel truth.

The general consensus from neutral fans has been that Darwin is an Andy Carroll style flop that can't finish. The stats are clear that he has been a 1 goal in 3 game scorer. Not a shoddy return for young player in their first season settling in and it is encouraging that he could of had more considering the positions he was in at times.

The other opinion I found was that he was seen as a red card waiting to happen and that he had some attitude issue. This narrative was allowed to gain momentum after his red card and ban following Crystal Palace last year where Joachim Andersen went down like an ironing board. A similar situation occurring at this seasons opener v Chelsea with Enzo Fernandez and Jota, except Jota didn't go down and somehow got booked for it. Again the stats are clear, this time since that suspension Darwin received just a single yellow in throughout the rest of last season. 

Liverpool fans simply should not be fooled into believing this nonsense peddled by fans of other clubs desperate for our high-value signing to fail. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

Not sure I’ve seen that Diaz, but I have seen the Diaz who doesn’t do much then explodes and scores the odd goal.  No way was he going to replace a fit and focused Mane, who gave so much more in his overall game. 

He already did replace him that season. He literally took manes place and mane moved to number 9. Think people forget mane had lost a yard by then and Diaz signing arguably propelled us to what we almost achieved.

Also by that very harsh description you could describe alot of top forwards. I will say the cohesion and link play isn't quite there yet among our forwards bur that will come, just needs time. 

25 minutes ago, Planet Origi said:

The link up play and understanding between Salah and Darwin whenever they have been on together has been outstanding 

It has, but there's a reason, likely off ball work, as to why they don't play together all the time. And then, who should play on the left with those two isn't clear either.

Don't get the negativity, our forwards are fucking class. Absolute arsenal of brilliant players with different styles who, Salah excepted are only going to get better. 

You wouldn't want to play against any of them.

• Upvote 3