You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Crucial vote today. Surprisingly little coverage in the build-up.

No chance he pushed it to the floor without knowing he has the votes.

If he did he is even lamer (in every sense) than everyone already thinks he is. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No chance he pushed it to the floor without knowing he has the votes.

If he did he is even lamer (in every sense) than everyone already thinks he is. 

I certainly hope so. The moment I posted BBC News put it on its the front page. 

At least it's a huge boost of morale even if the ships/planes are not already loaded.

18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

At least it's a huge boost of morale even if the ships/planes are not already loaded.

It's a diplomatic win for Zelensky no matter what happens.

My question is what is the vote order?

If I'm a Democrat, and Johnson is expecting my support, the Ukraine bill has to go first.

What is the point of splitting the bill if not in hopes of getting aid to Israel and Taiwan passed without having to pass the bill sending aid to Ukraine.

5 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

My question is what is the vote order?

If I'm a Democrat, and Johnson is expecting my support, the Ukraine bill has to go first.

What is the point of splitting the bill if not in hopes of getting aid to Israel and Taiwan passed without having to pass the bill sending aid to Ukraine.

There are 4 votes (Asia and border as well) - as to the order, I think he brings them up, not schedule.

Not sure on that but if he does Israel would be first and UKR last.

If it were all just a game, as it often is in Congress, then I'd be hoping the Repubs do screw the Dems, just for the long term political damage it would do to them.

And I think they're fully capable of shooting themselves in the foot; they've done it repeatedly since the last election.

But in this case aid to Ukraine is essential.

One thing that has me somewhat hopeful is that they've incorporated a couple of the things that Trump was calling for into the bill (forgivable loan vs. gift, etc).

So perhaps he has given his tacit approval to it, and they won't try to pull any shenanigans hijinx.

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

"Not already loaded?

Here you go chump. 

12 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

You didn't reply to my question in any way whatsoever.

I'm not arguing about the Russian economy or about the Ukrainian counteroffensive, or any of that. 

You may or may not argue with whatever you please but that was the basis of the conversation when I posted the links. You chose to burst in with a load of hyperbole and rash comments which were not based on any form of truth. 

12 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I'll say it again: from Putin's perspective, there are only two reasons he would stop killing innocent people: 1)he can't any more, because his army is defeated, or 2)he got what he wanted (in other words, a negotiated peace deal that allows him to refit his army to go again and to keep a large chunk of Ukrainian territory).

Which of those two do you prefer? There is no third option, if you want peace.

That's your assumption, I think it's a bit more nuanced than that.

Option 2 does not necessarily mean he gets what he wants but we'll see. Option 1 would be wonderful but unless this new round of American aid is used wisely I think it's doubtful tbh. I believe this aid package is roped in with more aid and weapons for Israel to carry on bombing kids in another occupation so it dampens my enthusiasm. 

Anyway I'll leave this thread for the armchair generals. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You may or may not argue with whatever you please but that was the basis of the conversation when I posted the links. You chose to burst in with a load of hyperbole and rash comments which were not based on any form of truth. 

That's your assumption, I think it's a bit more nuanced than that.

Option 2 does not necessarily mean he gets what he wants but we'll see. Option 1 would be wonderful but unless this new round of American aid is used wisely I think it's doubtful tbh. I believe this aid package is roped in with more aid and weapons for Israel to carry on bombing kids in another occupation so it dampens my enthusiasm. 

Anyway I'll leave this thread for the armchair generals. 

Should we quit posting on a football forum because we're not professional footballers ourselves? You don't have to participate in something to hold an interest or opinion mate.

Come on chap!

The problem with negotiating with Russia is its never in good faith. There's always a long game and they can't be trusted. They've a history of going back on promises, there's always the issue of unreasonable demands being made and the flat refusal to compromise.

Russia doesn't have a reasonable reason to be waging this war, its not like other conflicts where both sides have reasonable justifications (well, as reasonable as can be in fairness) and there's something can be agreed to satisfy both parties.

Russia wants to destroy Ukraine, the fact there's systematic torture and brutal killings instead by accident, it comes from the top down. The whole population is brainwashed and want blood.

This isn't a political disagreement. Putin is a nutter and desperate to cling to power. Dictators progressively get more violent and cruel as they have to always up the stakes. Sadly a ceasefire won't be the end of this. Do we actually think Russia just stop and its happily ever after?

42 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Ukraine bill passes 311-112.

I think you missed a country out there. 

26 billion also goes to a country at the Hague for genocide. A country already  constantly in receipt of massive US aid. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-house-vote-long-awaited-95-billion-ukraine-israel-aid-package-2024-04-20/

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think you missed a country out there. 

26 billion also goes to a country at the Hague for genocide. A country already  constantly in receipt of massive US aid. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-house-vote-long-awaited-95-billion-ukraine-israel-aid-package-2024-04-20/

I think I've made my feelings about Israel's current actions in the Gaza strip eminently clear in that thread.

Just as you have made eminently clear in this thread your feelings regarding Putin's murder of tens of thousands of innocent Ukrainians.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

I think I've made my feelings about Israel's current actions in the Gaza strip eminently clear in that thread.

Just as you have made eminently clear in this thread your feelings regarding Putin's murder of tens of thousands of innocent Ukrainians.

Hit a nerve have I?  Sure you have, it must've slipped your mind. 

45 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Lecky bills though.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You've said this shit before. You do realise a lot of poor people died because they couldn't afford to heat their homes don't you?

So you don't care about those in Gaza being bombed then?

Just now, TheSire said:

So you don't care about those in Gaza being bombed then?

What's that got to do with you continually taking the piss out people less fortunate than you who struggle to pay energy bills? 

16 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You've said this shit before. You do realise a lot of poor people died because they couldn't afford to heat their homes don't you?

You act like its an inevitability. We have a government filled with evil cunts refusing to do the right thing and gaslighting everyone for complaining about the cost of living. But the war in ukraine is at fault and they should be left to be slaughtered by animals.

• Upvote 2