You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

40 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah, wonder what his parents thought of the siege of leningrad when the NKVD had to put teams together to hunt down cannibals. The bad meff.

"Poland went too far, pushing Hitler to start World War II by attacking them. Why was it Poland against whom the war started on 1 September 1939? Poland turned out to be uncompromising, and Hitler had nothing to do but start implementing his plans with Poland."

Hmm. So not quite the same as the quote. 

Interesting that whatever you think of Putin some are willing to go down a ridiculous route of mirth when it comes to his understanding of Soviet history. 

Let's not forget Western leaders and politicians such as Lizz Truss, Boris Johnson, Shapps and James Cleverly have come a little unstook over the history of the region. Andrew Marr said Putin was the most intelligent man he'd interviewed. Nevermind his opinion I think most will agree he's far from stupid. So to the people who mock Putin but in that soft shuffle interview with Calson he he still comes across as far more  incisive than Biden, Trump, Sunak. 

Lets not forget Zelenskyy comes over here to Britain and gets treated by our media and Parliament like he's just won the 1966 World Cup. He hardly gets a robust set of questions, does he, It's a fawn fest  

I think Putins quote may have been said as as a veiled warning about history repeating itself. 

The main take from that interview imo was the claim Boris Johnson (King of Ukraine) scuppered a peace deal on the orders of the Yanks. 

For me its hard one that on who to believe there.

48 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah, wonder what his parents thought of the siege of leningrad when the NKVD had to put teams together to hunt down cannibals. The bad meff.

"Poland went too far, pushing Hitler to start World War II by attacking them. Why was it Poland against whom the war started on 1 September 1939? Poland turned out to be uncompromising, and Hitler had nothing to do but start implementing his plans with Poland."

He has to say that cause the Russians took the other half of Poland and then murdered all their officers in the Katyn Forest.

Edit: But Carlson would deny that because Russia isn't expansionist at all.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The main take from that interview imo was the claim Boris Johnson (King of Ukraine) scuppered a peace deal on the orders of the Yanks.

For me its hard one that on who to believe there.

The main take was Putin was given a platform for an unchallenged speech by a Russian patsy.

And frankly it doesn't matter who you believe - the Ukrainians chose to fight and the majority of their population still support the decision.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, M_B said:

The main take was Putin was given a platform for an unchallenged speech by a Russian patsy.

And frankly it doesn't matter who you believe - the Ukrainians chose to fight and the majority of their population still support the decision.

I'm suprised at the interest. Putin did a 4 hour question and answer program the other week  it was bollocks, he spent half hour talking about Russias Nukes then flipped to 15 minutes talking about washing machine parts. It's what they do. Castro the same.

12 hours ago, SasaS said:

It looks like they will be withdrawing from Avdivka by the end of the week.

Hopefully, they're almost encircled now and can't even fire any shells as ammo is that short. I think the military is about 1m strong but they're dangerously low on ammo now. The failure of offshoring western industry eh!

2 hours ago, TheSire said:

Hopefully, they're almost encircled now and can't even fire any shells as ammo is that short. I think the military is about 1m strong but they're dangerously low on ammo now. The failure of offshoring western industry eh!

I'd say Russia is about a year ahead of the West in basics now so Ukraine needs to focus on staying in the game this year. Hopefully they can further accelerate their own production too, which was always the key to me. I can never understand why it all has to move at a snail's pace.

Russian landing ship Tsezar Kunikov hit in Black Sea, it has sunk – intelligence sources, photo, video

Drones of Defence Intelligence of Ukraine (DIU) have struck the Russian landing ship Tsezar Kunikov in the Black Sea on the morning of 14 February.

The vessel is 112.5 metres long, 15 metres wide and has a draft of 3.7 metres. The warship has the following weapons: 2x2 57-mm AK-725 artillery pieces, 4x8 launchers of man-portable air defence systems, and 2x30 122-mm A-215 Grad-M multiple rocket launchers.

There are 87 crew members.

Ukraine claims it has now disabled a third of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet.

Speaking of how long, RUSI analyst thinks Ukraine will need two years of sustained assistance before it can expect Russia to start having all sorts of problems. Apparently, they have 470,000 troops in Ukraine, which begs the question (for me) where are those 1.1 million Ukrainian soldiers Budanov said they had a month or so ago. Journalist Korshak wrote in his last piece on Zhaluzny's replacement they apparently have 300,000 troops sitting in the west Ukraine.  

https://www.rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russian-military-objectives-and-capacity-ukraine-through-2024

9 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Speaking of how long, RUSI analyst thinks Ukraine will need two years of sustained assistance before it can expect Russia to start having all sorts of problems. Apparently, they have 470,000 troops in Ukraine, which begs the question (for me) where are those 1.1 million Ukrainian soldiers Budanov said they had a month or so ago. Journalist Korshak wrote in his last piece on Zhaluzny's replacement they apparently have 300,000 troops sitting in the west Ukraine.  

https://www.rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russian-military-objectives-and-capacity-ukraine-through-2024

It will be a relatively event less stalemate until November imo.

Then the war will either be over very quickly or Ukraine will have greatly increased aid.

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It will be a relatively event less stalemate until November imo.

Then the war will either be over very quickly or Ukraine will have greatly increased aid.

I don't think what is happening now cam be called an eventless stalemate, Russia is in full blown offensive at the moment and it will continue for some time. 

51 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Speaking to someone who lives In Dnipro over the weekend who said unless there is a miracle Ukraine will be torn to pieces.

Bloody hell. I don't the allies will let that happen, surely.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I reckon a couple years of being bombarded by a superpower while watching the global community slowly but surely become indifferent could change a gal's mindset.

2 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Maybe something was lost in the translation. I’m no expert. 

I know things are bad at the moment, but I don't think they are quite torn-to-pieces bad yet.

18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I know things are bad at the moment, but I don't think they are quite torn-to-pieces bad yet.

She did say barring a miracle. It does sound from what her and her family are telling me that things are pretty horrendous. 

• Upvote 1