You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

I’m not saying there isn’t a load of bollocks written about Navalny, he’s no innocent angel.  @Red Phoenix , posts always condemn western politicians, rightly at times, who can be thrown out every four years, but you can’t quite take the jump to search out the ‘truth’, a loaded term I know, about Putin, a proper Stalinist, fascist dictator, who invades neighbouring countries, and murders journalists and opposition politicians and dissidents with impunity. 
Putin and Trump, the Spiked/Marxism today dream team. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SasaS said:

RP, some of the point you might be missing here, the opposition figures and dissenters in autocratic regimes are always portrayed as foreign agents, traitors and murky figures, and Navalny, who published a lot about Putin's wealth and corruption, died in a prison camp. As soon as you are a danger to Russia's regime or Putin, you either have to leave, or you go to prison, or you die.

10 minutes ago, bossy said:

I’m not saying there isn’t a load of bollocks written about Navalny, he’s no innocent angel.  @Red Phoenix , posts always condemn western politicians, rightly at times, who can be thrown out every four years, but you can’t quite take the jump to search out the ‘truth’, a loaded term I know, about Putin, a proper Stalinist, fascist dictator, who invades neighbouring countries, and murders journalists and opposition politicians and dissidents with impunity. 
Putin and Trump, the Spiked/Marxism today dream team. 

The point was purely to mention the issue I had with it being ignored. Navalny is being made out to be a champion of democracy, freedom, etc, by some of the worst types of people and there's often no mention of his history. We know he was flawed but you'd not think it reading some of the crap out there at the moment.

When someone's gone it's probably as good a time as ever to cover who they were properly instead of leaving out important parts. Our govs and media are experts at leaving out important details though as we know because they churn out one sided stories every single day.

Mentioning that doesn't mean I'm ignoring any truth about Putin or siding with him or the Kremlin or whatever else related.

The collective mourning and crocodile tears over Navalnys would look more genuine and less hypocritical if they'd have shown a smidgen of concern over imprisonment in Britain of Julian Assange. 

Unlike Navalny, Assange isn't a few thousand miles away in another country but right here in Britain. 

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

"A clearer view of who he was" straight into an Assange homage.  - the irony.

Like a perfect storm in here.

Hardly a homage. Just pointing out the general hypocrisy. 

Talking of hypocrisy. Didn't one of these fellas order the murder of an American journalist?  This is yesterday.

Anyway i believe Yoko is far more genuine than those crying crocodile tears on my TV screen.

And immediate Navalny - Assange comparisons were part of the social media overdrive yesterday.

Like when Belarus forced that passenger plane down to arrest some opposition guy I didn't know anything about who I learned then through social media was a bad, bad, bad man.

Almost as if there is someone directing this.

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

And immediate Navalny - Assange comparisons were part of the social media overdrive yesterday.

Like when Belarus forced that passenger plane down to arrest some opposition guy I didn't know anything about who I learned then through social media was a bad, bad, bad man.

Almost as if there is someone directing this.

Is it... Pootin again. Bastard. 

I think Assange has been in the public eye for a while, he is still in a London jail. So it'd be more strange if his name wasn't mentioned really. However if you want to go down the conspiracy route crack on. 

As posted above.

Has Simpson been got at by a Russian bot farm?

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Is it... Pootin again. Bastard. 

I think Assange has been in the public eye for a while, he is still in a London jail. So it'd be more strange if his name wasn't mentioned really. However if you want to go down the conspiracy route crack on. 

As posted above.

Has Simpson been got at by a Russian bot farm?

It's not a conspiracy, it's media image management. When you see the exact same points made or echoed across nations on social media by people who you know are not really all that clued up and in a relatively short time, it tells you points are being pushed. You don't need bots for that.  

14 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It's not a conspiracy, it's media image management. When you see the exact same points made or echoed across nations on social media by people who you know are not really all that clued up and in a relatively short time, it tells you points are being pushed. You don't need bots for that.  

I think you're looking for things that are not there. The reaction to Navalnys death in prison is obviously going to put rocket fuel behind the situation regarding Assange in a British prison. 

I think some miss the point. No one is saying Navalny is a great guy etc, just that it's grim how people are treated in Russia if they step out of line in any way. Assange probably isn't being tortured daily by our prison guards. I don't think he should be locked up for releasing documents btw.

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think you're looking for things that are not there. The reaction to Navalnys death in prison is obviously going to put rocket fuel behind the situation regarding Assange in a British prison. 

Obviously, Especially for people who never mentioned Assange in years, if at all, not to mention never making the Navalny - Assange comparison before. 

Sanctions.

Russia is entering its third year of war in the Ukraine with an unprecedented amount of cash in government coffers, bolstered by a record $37 billion of crude oil sales to India last year, according to new analysis, which concludes that some of the crude was refined by India and then exported to the United States as oil products worth more than $1 billion.

This flow of payments, ultimately to Moscow’s benefit, comes from India increasing its purchases of Russian crude by over 13 times its pre-war amounts, according to the analysis by the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA), exclusively shared with CNN. It amounts to US strategic partner New Delhi stepping in to replace crude purchases by Western buyers, reduced by sanctions over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the analysis said.

While Russian crude sales to India are not subject to sanctions and are entirely legitimate, an examination of shipping routes by experts suggests this huge volume of shipments might involve the so-called "shadow fleet" of crude tankers, specially created by Moscow to try to disguise who it is trading with and how, and maximize the Kremlin’s profits.

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Sanctions.

Russia is entering its third year of war in the Ukraine with an unprecedented amount of cash in government coffers, bolstered by a record $37 billion of crude oil sales to India last year, according to new analysis, which concludes that some of the crude was refined by India and then exported to the United States as oil products worth more than $1 billion.

This flow of payments, ultimately to Moscow’s benefit, comes from India increasing its purchases of Russian crude by over 13 times its pre-war amounts, according to the analysis by the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA), exclusively shared with CNN. It amounts to US strategic partner New Delhi stepping in to replace crude purchases by Western buyers, reduced by sanctions over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the analysis said.

While Russian crude sales to India are not subject to sanctions and are entirely legitimate, an examination of shipping routes by experts suggests this huge volume of shipments might involve the so-called "shadow fleet" of crude tankers, specially created by Moscow to try to disguise who it is trading with and how, and maximize the Kremlin’s profits.

I don't think the amount in government coffers is "unprecedented" since their trade and budget surpluses are down on prewar period, the oil they are selling to India and China they would be able to sell at a higher price if they sold directly to their traditional Western markets. It just means the sanctions will not hurt them too much.

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't think the amount in government coffers is "unprecedented" since their trade and budget surpluses are down on prewar period, the oil they are selling to India and China they would be able to sell at a higher price if they sold directly to their traditional Western markets. It just means the sanctions will not hurt them too much.

Then you need to write an article with some footnotes attached.

Russia’s federal revenues ballooned to a record $320 billion in 2023 and are set to rise further still.

28 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Then you need to write an article with some footnotes attached.

Russia’s federal revenues ballooned to a record $320 billion in 2023 and are set to rise further still.

I don't know what that means.

On 17/02/2024 at 16:44, Section_31 said:

Carlson has been to the blag McDonalds in Moss-cow and discovered that they do indeed have burgers in stock. This changes everything.

Navalny burgers?

• Upvote 1

Bring Out Your Dead GIF - Bring Out Your Dead Monty ...

Russian authorities set more conditions to release Navalny’s body to family

The Russian Investigative Committee has set more conditions to release Alexey Navalny’s body to his mother, according to Ivan Zhdanov, the director of Navalny's Anti-Corruption Foundation.

Aside from conducting a secret funeral "among the family," the committee said they require the following three conditions:

1. The body should be transported to Moscow on a special plane, and before arriving in the capital, Navalny’s mother should not announce the funeral in order for the crowd not to meet the body at the airport.
  2. The family must be accompanied by an employee of the investigative committee at all times before the funeral.
  3. Navalny’s mother should decide on the date of the funeral after arriving in Moscow. The body should be kept in the Moscow or Vladimir region before the funeral. According to Zhdanov, the investigative committee “is afraid that the morgue will be stormed.”

Why would the morgue be stormed??