You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Drain Blockages

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Revenge negging on a blocked drain thread. Not even on the second page yet. 

Has Kurtz moved in? It might be a body. 

4 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

exhibit A) It will be fat. exhibit b) I’d put down a load of acid, exhibit c) get some decent stuff from the Internet not the weedy stuff they sell in Homebase. exhibit d) We’ve fit some in the shed that genuinely terrifies me every time I use the stuff. exhibit e) It buzzes and fizzes in the drain like something alive is down there. 

A) Target audience - motive

B) Disposal 

C) CCTV from every Homebase in the Home (Tory) Counties

D) Serial

E) Hope 

@thebill    

Sounds like a blockage in the sink wastepipe. Go outside and give the pipe that leads to the main drain a few taps (if it's old and metal you can use a hammer but be careful if it's one of the newer plastic ones) as that might agitate any blockage inside. Then put some caustic soda down the sink and pour in some boiling water. Leave for 10-15 minutes before opening the taps to rinse it away. If it works, the soda will loosen some of the blockage and the force of the water will loosen the rest.

4 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Sounds like a blockage in the sink wastepipe. Go outside and give the pipe that leads to the main drain a few taps (if it's old and metal you can use a hammer but be careful if it's one of the newer plastic ones) as that might agitate any blockage inside. Then put some caustic soda down the sink and pour in some boiling water. Leave for 10-15 minutes before opening the taps to rinse it away. If it works, the soda will loosen some of the blockage and the force of the water will loosen the rest.

I think I'm working my way through the blockage, assuming that's what it is. Yesterday I could only put a cup full of water in before it builds up to the sink, today I put in a full litre and it just built up to the sink. I'll definitely work it from the other end too, good tip.

7 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Ha ha. I’m hiding in plain sight. 

A69693AB-0EB4-4D21-981B-A03A42491A1E.gif

Well they all have hair and considering within about 6 minutes of your first points we knew what you looked like your wifes political allegiances and what you had for fucking dinner I doubt its that plain. 

Unless of course its a well crafted Silverlining hoax. 

5 hours ago, Trumo said:

Noooooo! Never add water to caustic soda! You always add the soda to the hot water and even then stand well back. If you add water to caustic soda that can almost cause an explosion.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Noooooo! Never add water to caustic soda! You always add the soda to the hot water and even then stand well back. If you add water to caustic soda that can almost cause an explosion.

Will sort the blockage problem though.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

And ?? Don’t leave us in suspense. Have you broken through ? 

Not yet, I've had to put it on hold today as quite sore from all the plunging and serpent handling. Reading about the caustic soda/water reaction that's probably as good thing.

This might be common knowledge for some but apparently covering up the overflow improves the effectiveness of a plunger. Just done 100 plunges with the overflow covered and seeing junk come out into the water is a joy to behold.

On 20/03/2021 at 17:28, Shooter in the Motor said:

Blocked drains are a right pain in the arse. I'm currently using a combination of drain blockage gel, warm/hot water, plunger and now I've introduced the James Bond of drain blockages.

“Are we talking about one body or two?”

”Fifteen or sixteen”

231D80BF-C75D-4F8C-A27A-EAFC0B14C228.jpeg

21 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

If you’re doing like you oughter, add the acid to the water. If you want it in your face add the water to the base.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Fuck me you like to keep an audience in suspense. Its like the fucking X factor final. Have you unblocked it yet ? 

Did loads of plunging yesterday and apparently some of the pipes are connected in the house so some of the junk was coming up into other sinks. At the moment it's still blocked so it looks like it's now blocked on the outside end. Next task is to try and break through the blockage on the outside. I don't like the sound of baking soda and water as it could result in the next Chernobyl.

I've looked at baking soda instead of caustic soda (I'm hoping they're different) along with white vinegar. I've seen this has a mild chemical reaction that can clear stubborn blockages.

16 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Did loads of plunging yesterday and apparently some of the pipes are connected in the house so some of the junk was coming up into other sinks. At the moment it's still blocked so it looks like it's now blocked on the outside end. Next task is to try and break through the blockage on the outside. I don't like the sound of baking soda and water as it could result in the next Chernobyl.

I've looked at baking soda instead of caustic soda (I'm hoping they're different) along with white vinegar. I've seen this has a mild chemical reaction that can clear stubborn blockages.

Well, the mild chemical reaction is to produce a salt plus some carbon dioxide, which I doubt would do anything. Caustic soda is sodium hydroxide or lye, which will dissolve all sorts of things, including your hands...

26 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Yeah I bet you fucking did. 

32 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I'm sure you've tried this: but have you dismantled the sink waste pipes & traps beneath the plug fitting? Might enable you to get closer to the main blockage and check there isn't a smaller blockage in the trap itself?

I had a blocked toilet after my flush broke, I tried all the suggestions - drain unblocker, bleach, washing-up liquid, baking soda plus vinegar. I even bought a special plunger for toilets with the intent of trying that. My mum fixed it by pouring a bucket of water down it from a height, so in the end it was simple gravity which did the trick.

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I had a blocked toilet after my flush broke, I tried all the suggestions - drain unblocker, bleach, washing-up liquid, baking soda plus vinegar. I even bought a special plunger for toilets with the intent of trying that. My mum fixed it by pouring a bucket of water down it from a height, so in the end it was simple gravity which did the trick.

Should have waited, would have been over by winter