You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the highlights on youtube, Ortiz was dropped twice and was losing on the cards quite soundly on the unofficial scorecard. I always felt the Ortiz was an underrated fighter under the radar but after seeing that I think his age might have caught up with him.

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Just watched the highlights on youtube, Ortiz was dropped twice and was losing on the cards quite soundly on the unofficial scorecard. I always felt the Ortiz was an underrated fighter under the radar but after seeing that I think his age might have caught up with him.

He was about 65 in his prime.

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

I'll never forgive him for ducking the Jack Dempsey fight.

• Upvote 1

The Loneliest Sport

'He was crazy! And he would make me think he was crazy. We would be driving along in the car and he would start talking to himself. 'I’m the baddest! I’m the greatest! I’m a baaad man!' I was thinking, 'Damn! Is this what boxing does to you?' But I learned that he kept doing that because that was how he motivated himself. When he was getting ready to fight George Foreman, he would be talking to himself constantly: 'I’m gonna kill him! I’m gonna murder him! I’m going to do this. I’m going to do that.' Ali was a good guy.

I never once saw him get scared. Even when he fought me, when he was 38, he wasn’t scared. He was talking to me all through the fight, telling me what he was going to do, trying to make me mad. But I knew him too well to fall for any of that stuff.

He was the guy that gave me a job. He was the guy that taught me how to fight. He helped me understand how to do things to an opponent to make them mad. I learned all of that from being with him all those years. Can you imagine what it was like for me, aged 20-21, to be working with The Greatest?

All of a sudden, you ask him if he will come to your local school and meet the kids, and he does just to make you feel good. He did that for me, he came to my town, and he lifted me way off the ground because of that. He made me feel 10ft tall. The guy was great. He made everyone feel better about themselves. He made you believe you could do anything you ever wanted to do. And he was my friend.

He had charisma. He was beautiful and charming. Listen, even after I beat him in our fight in 1980, I went into his dressing room afterwards and he was lying on the bed having a rub-down because he was so sore. And I said, 'Ali, you know I love you. You’ve always been my man.' And he said, 'If you loved me, why did you beat me up?' But he never held a grudge, even to the day he died. Even when he was sick, whenever I would see him he would fool around and say, 'I want Holmes! Get me Holmes!'

- Larry Holmes

FB_IMG_1641205451879.jpg

• Upvote 5