You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

The plan would appear to be bring through talented youngsters to offset that, and only spend big where it's necessary. 

I'd feel a lot more comfortable about that if we had shit hot forwards coming through. Elliott might be one, but other than him we're probably going to need to buy when it comes to replacing the current front three. 

I'm sure they have a plan for that though as I'm sure I've read that they are always looking two summers ahead when planning transfers.

We know that youngsters making the grade are extremely rare. Trent is one, Curtis maybe the other. Its telling Elliot has hardly been given a shout nor Hoever in these last few games. They probably are not ready.

The youngsters should be supplemental, not actual reliance.

Come on now, they aren't taking money out of LFC to funnel into the Red Sox.

The wage bill is fucking massive, so the few months with no matchday income while still paying the players full whack is going to have an impact on every club other than City and (depending on what whether the owner still wants to throw cash at it) Chelsea.

I'm no accountant and even if I was I don't have access to the books, so I can't tell you where the money goes but I'd be fairly confident in saying it isn't being spent on the fucking Red Sox.

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We know that youngsters making the grade are extremely rare. Trent is one, Curtis maybe the other. Its telling Elliot has hardly been given a shout nor Hoever in these last few games. They probably are not ready.

The youngsters should be supplemental, not actual reliance.

Agreed, I'm just outlining what their philosophy seems to be. Maybe Brewster becomes the player we all hoped he'd be. Two years is a long time, an awful lot can happen.

I'm not going to worry too much about that when things are so good now. Besides, there's nothing we can do about it anyway. Just have to trust the people making the decisions, and so far they're doing alright.

25 minutes ago, Horus said:

Of course I do. Have no idea why these discussions can be so flippantly mischaracterised. Klopp is a genius, but that's not the point. Ferguson was a genius regardless of what we think of them, but he was still spending on his squad when Chelsea came and hoovered up the talent instead of him, and it took a few years to get to grips with it. We have Klopp for another 4 seasons, so what is he supposed to do? The only time they've given him serious money we moved to a different stratosphere, and now they're handcuffing, because not only will they get away with it, people will defend them for thinking it's acceptable that our manager has to perform miracles every year.  

It's not flippant but I love it how people throw these claims about flipancy and hyperbole around as a distraction.

Some people seem to suggest the owners are short changing the club and or Jurgen. Yet Jurgen says these are the best owners he could wish to work with.

So he's either lying or telling the truth. I dont think Jurgen's lying.

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

Come on now, they aren't taking money out of LFC to funnel into the Red Sox.

The wage bill is fucking massive, so the few months with no matchday income while still paying the players full whack is going to have an impact on every club other than City and (depending on what whether the owner still wants to throw cash at it) Chelsea.

I'm no accountant and even if I was I don't have access to the books, so I can't tell you where the money goes but I'd be fairly confident in saying it isn't being spent on the fucking Red Sox.

Its just a theory. The Red Sox have needed a refresh recently and with the way things are over in the States they may have used some of that capital. I work for an American Business and we all had to give up our salary increases to prop up the american arm of the business because they were in such a state.

maybe LFC's turn comes next summer and with the sale of Salah or Mane supplemented with some prize money. Dunno.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

It's not flippant but I love it how people throw these claims about flipancy and hyperbole around as a distraction.

Some people seem to suggest the owners are short changing the club and or Jurgen. Yet Jurgen says these are the best owners he could wish to work with.

So he's either lying or telling the truth. I dont think Jurgen's lying.

But they are businessmen. You do understand that don't you? They are here to make money, they are not necessarily here to win things, thats not their m.o.

The only real danger to their operation is us languishing mid table and staying out of the CL and coming a team that doesn't have the draw of the general public for broadcasting rights. We are currently the most watched team in Europe maybe even the World.

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its just a theory. The Red Sox have needed a refresh recently and with the way things are over in the States they may have used some of that capital. I work for an American Business and we all had to give up our salary increases to prop up the american arm of the business because they were in such a state.

maybe LFC's turn comes next summer and with the sale of Salah or Mane supplemented with some prize money. Dunno.

It's a crackpot theory. They couldn't do that even if they wanted to, there'd be fucking murder.

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

Mate they can do whatever they like, its their business.

They can't!

You can't seriously be suggesting that they get a new kit deal from Nike and go "right, let's send 50% of this to Boston so we can get a new 2nd baseman".

You know what's funny though? There are Red Sox fans who have made the same accusation about them taking Sox money and using it for LFC.

They're wrong too.

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

They can't!

You can't seriously be suggesting that they get a new kit deal from Nike and go "right, let's send 50% of this to Boston so we can get a new 2nd baseman".

You know what's funny though? There are Red Sox fans who have made the same accusation about them taking Sox money and using it for LFC.

They're wrong too.

Well its only a theory. Funny though how both sets of supporters generally grumble about them. I've never liked them, I make no bones about that, I think they struck lucky with Jurgen and when he goes I fear the worst.

Before Jurgen walked through the door both FSG and Edwards were doing terribly.

Just now, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Chelsea in for Havertz. He's the only player that I really wanted this summer.

How the fuck are they going to play all of them?

Forget it mate. One thing is for sure we will have a fight on our hands next season. Pray none of our mainstays get long term injuries they have all been at it for 2-3 solid seasons.

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Forget it mate. One thing is for sure we will have a fight on our hands next season. Pray none of our mainstays get long term injuries they have all been at it for 2-3 solid seasons.

It's fucking annoying. The same when they signed Pulisic. That was fucking madness given his US connection. His shirt sales would have payed for his transfer.

I wasn't that fussed about about Werner as he's a one dimensional player.

1 minute ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

It's fucking annoying. The same when they signed Pulisic. That was fucking madness given his US connection. His shirt sales would have payed for his transfer.

Pulisic was a missed opportunity. Its the self proclaimed 'no one is better than our front three' thats holding us back.

9 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I wasn't that fussed about about Werner as he's a one dimensional player.

Shirts sales wouldn't have paid for pulisic. At 50 quid a shirt, that would be a million shirts. In 2019 we managed to sell 1.1m as a club. And if we sold a million pulisic shirts, that would just be revenue off them and not count the fact we probably only make a tenner a shirt and not 50 quid. Minamino might pay for himself if he starts getting some games, but we're not paying for a 50m footballer on shirt sales or anything like it. 

• Upvote 1

Chelsea’s spending doesn’t seem especially ostentatious by their bloated standards, because they’ve raised well over £200m in sales since last summer. They’re making interesting signings, but nothing that has provoked a sudden bowel movement.

I think it would be a real mistake for us to fail to strengthen, but I suspect we will. For all the cynicism directed at FSG, last summer was an anomaly as far as transfer business goes so another barren summer with the departures confirmed so far would be a surprise. I doubt we’ll see the arrival of any guaranteed starters, but that’s fine.

8 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Shirts sales wouldn't have paid for pulisic. At 50 quid a shirt, that would be a million shirts. In 2019 we managed to sell 1.1m as a club. And if we sold a million pulisic shirts, that would just be revenue off them and not count the fact we probably only make a tenner a shirt and not 50 quid. Minamino might pay for himself if he starts getting some games, but we're not paying for a 50m footballer on shirt sales or anything like it. 

It was a flippant comment, but that said, he would have been a U.S marketing dream. Very unlikely Chelsea get the exposure as we would have done. Don't really care about that aspect anyway. It's about talent, as with Havertz.

11 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I literally don’t know where people get the energy to continuously post negative shit from.

It's not being negative. We all know there's a big drop off from our first XI. We've been lucky as fuck for the past 2 seasons with injuries. Look at what happened with Bobby last season. He just about made it for Madrid.