You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

Our neighbour told me earlier that his eldest son (Lives a few doors further down) has flu symptoms. He didn't get in the doctors, they handed him a sick note out of the window and told him to stay at home for two weeks. Just seen him outside when I got back from a walk with the dog cleaning his car. This whole self isolation is shit, because people are cunts and just happy to get time off and don't give a shit about others. 

Pretty smart dog, cleaning a car.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

people are cunts and just happy to get time off and don't give a shit about others. 

Delta airlines to reduce capacity to by 40%.

It will also be trying to cut down its workforce, offering voluntary, short-term unpaid leave.

Some people are not gonna be happy.

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Our neighbour told me earlier that his eldest son (Lives a few doors further down) has flu symptoms. He didn't get in the doctors, they handed him a sick note out of the window and told him to stay at home for two weeks. Just seen him outside when I got back from a walk with the dog cleaning his car. This whole self isolation is shit, because people are cunts and just happy to get time off and don't give a shit about others. 

He is making the dog clean his car? Cunt!

I know it's been mentioned but Michael Olsterholm on Joe Rogan podcast really gives a clear indication of what to expect with this virus and it's longevity. 

However, I'm finding it difficult to trust any of these experts at the moment as they could quite easily be vehicles for propaganda. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Delta airlines to reduce capacity to by 40%.

It will also be trying to cut down its workforce, offering voluntary, short-term unpaid leave.

Some people are not gonna be happy.

This is gonna happen to my missus no doubt, the unpaid holiday shit. We have enough in the backhand to last 3/4 months but then what? I don't want to rely on hand outs, but if needs must and all that. My retirement money won't cover a family of 4 by itself. I'm guessing an awful lot of people will be in the same boat which will put a massive strain on the social network. The missus basically works for the education authorities so maybe's they'll carry on getting paid as normal. I wonder how long it will take the powers that be to suggest that they work in Hospitals/Old folk homes etc until they can return to their normal jobs, not that she'd be against that. 

The effect that this is having on employees and employers might (hopefully) lead to governments, "industry" and "big business" re-examining whether more flexible working patterns and UBI are needed in a forever changing society. 

Would more "gig-economy" workers and the self employed be more willing to self isolate if a decent UBI scheme was in place? Maybe so. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, TheHowieLama said:

This may happen to more people than die in the short term

Yeah. The thing is, how many of those will have to rely on the social network? A lot of countries are pretty good at looking after their own, whilst others are pretty shit at doing so. It's going to be fucking chaos mate, if COVID doesn't get you the stress will. 

29 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I was thinking about the UK government approach, which may not be that bad if the country manages to protect all people over 70, majority of over 60 and most people with underlying conditions, and if the virus cannot be contained, that is, have its R0 lowered to the level where it starts disappearing.

If it just breaks out somewhere else in China, they will have to put another 16 million people in total lockdown, and then another, until eventually it has run through most of the population. On the other hand, if protective measures don't materialize, and other countries actually contain it, it would be an unmitigated disaster, with the UK in total isolation and 200,000 and 300,000 dead. Not sure I would take that gamble with still a number of unknowns. Other governments could at least say, we tried, it didn't work if they fail.

7 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

*puts tinfoil hat on*

I'm sure this will go down well.

From Guardian :

Guest Pistonbroke

Eldest son just got back from work and was telling me that apparently rumours going around that some institution in Canada think they have found an anti viral drug against this, nothing on the main news outlets so it could just be some cunt on the Internet spreading crap. Mind you, if you fuck with the Canadians Ice Hockey Season I bet they are working around the clock to find something. 

School closures lasting four weeks could cut 3% from the UK’s GDP, costing the economy billions of pounds, according to research being considered by the government as it weighs up the benefits and risks of shutting down classrooms.

Advisers at the Department for Education and No 10 are examining a range of options from complete closure of all schools and colleges in England, which would affect around 7 million children, to more nuanced policies.

Measures being looked at include those effected in Japan, where schools sent home individual classes and age groups when a certain percentage of children were infected, and Austria, where elementary schools have stayed open to effectively act as daycare for the children of essential workers. Belgium has followed a similar path. Other countries have closed all schools.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/mar/13/coronavirus-school-closures-uk-gdp-ministers-warned

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Eldest son just got back from work and was telling me that apparently rumours going around that some institution in Canada think they have found an anti viral drug against this... 

What’s the name of the company so I can invest my life savings in its stock?

Although I read a few pages back that a company, can’t remember where, have grown their own version of the virus, which is a key step to finding a cure. Might be the same thing.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

This is gonna happen to my missus no doubt, the unpaid holiday shit. We have enough in the backhand to last 3/4 months but then what? I don't want to rely on hand outs, but if needs must and all that. My retirement money won't cover a family of 4 by itself. I'm guessing an awful lot of people will be in the same boat which will put a massive strain on the social network. The missus basically works for the education authorities so maybe's they'll carry on getting paid as normal. I wonder how long it will take the powers that be to suggest that they work in Hospitals/Old folk homes etc until they can return to their normal jobs, not that she'd be against that. 

Sorry to hear that mate. So many people are shitting themselves and who with any sense has faith in our Tory overlords to do the right thing by anyone unless it helps their cause. I live in hope of Trump and Johnson keeling over with the wretched thing. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

What’s the name of the company so I can invest my life savings in its stock?

Although I read a few pages back that a company, can’t remember where, have grown their own version of the virus, which is a key step to finding a cure. Might be the same thing.

Sunnybrook Hospital/ one of the Universities and an Indian Scientist in Toronto. I believe they were the ones who isolated the virus and have been working on a cure. Like I said, could just be someone putting 2-2 together and coming up with 5. 

7 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Eldest son just got back from work and was telling me that apparently rumours going around that some institution in Canada think they have found an anti viral drug against this, nothing on the main news outlets so it could just be some cunt on the Internet spreading crap. Mind you, if you fuck with the Canadians Ice Hockey Season I bet they are working around the clock to find something. 

I hope that work is at the BND.

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Yes. Some researchers have isolated something or other but its still a ways away. It's the University of Saskatchewan, they have some experts there apparently.

It's pandemonium here; 3 cases were I live now (pop. 800,000) and there was a lineup of 200 people outside Costco an hour before opening.

Oh, and the Transit agency I work for just cut $700,000 from the bus cleaning budget and will  lay off maintenace cleaners. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Relax everyone. Simon's got this

20200313_185326.jpg

I love how I can take his jumbled up sentences and make sense of them. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Yes. Some researchers have isolated something or other but its still a ways away. It's the University of Saskatchewan, they have some experts there apparently.

It's pandemonium here; 3 cases were I live now (pop. 800,000) and there was a lineup of 200 people outside Costco an hour before opening.

Oh, and the Transit agency I work for just cut $700,000 from the bus cleaning budget and will  lay off maintenace cleaners. 

Just found this mate. https://weather.com/en-IN/india/science/news/2020-03-13-researchers-isolate-covid-19-virus-closer-finding-cure