You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It must be said, the longer this goes on the harder it’s becoming not to be worried when you see the lengths that all of the other countries around us are going to and then comparing it to us doing fuck all. 

That graph above has done it for me. Even with the suggested reduction measures, it looks like our medical professionals are going to have to make difficult decisions about who to treat and who to just leave to slowly suffocate. 

13 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Haha yeah it took a while to realise as I'm tired.

The country wouldn't be shutdown constantly I don't think but we don't know how the aftermath of this works properly because it'll take time to see how countries like China and South Korea recover from it. Disruption on some level would be indefinite until there's a vaccine but that doesn't mean "shut the country". The alternative is to let a virus rip through the population and that's insane.

But how do we isolate if people are allowed in and to move about? It makes no sense. A vaccine could be years away.  

Guest Pistonbroke

It's the year 2070 and two Aliens are roaming planet Earth. One of them turns to the other and says 'I can't say what wiped the human race out, but they had the cleanest arses in the Universe.'

49 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

So shut the country for an indefinite time? That’s your solution?  

Isn't that pretty much where we are at, but instead of having it under control like many Asian countries it's running wild and we've no fucking idea what's happening because we won't even test anyone but the critically ill? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Just neg him then fuck him off. Trolling for the sake of it. 

Is it fuck trolling. If cutting spending by a couple of percent over a decade - not even cutting in some cases, just growing more slowly - has such dire consequences, what impact do you think a sudden and massive hit to the economy over a few months is going to have?

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Is it fuck trolling. If cutting spending by a couple of percent over a decade - not even cutting in some cases, just growing more slowly - has such dire consequences, what impact do you think a sudden and massive hit to the economy over a few months is going to have?

Are we not having one of those right now? And perhaps of we hadn't run the NHS into the ground for 10 years to an absolute breaking point  we wouldn't be looking at wacky ways to controls the virus in the hope we could squeeze it in between our annual flu outbreaks?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

What complete nonsense. 

In your opinion. We can see by the whole fucking mad U-turn over the last week what they were doing was fucking nonsense. So either our scientists are crap or they were producing an outcome desired by their bosses. You can make a bunch of numbers say anything you want, it's much easier to arrive at a destination if you know if before you start. 

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If it’s not trolling then you are fucking thick. All those cuts have made us worse. Austerity wasn’t forced upon us like a global fucking pandemic you ignorant prick. This is about saving as many lives as possible. Obviously your beloved self-serving cunts will try their best to profit over saving people.  Fucking whopper 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Isn't that pretty much where we are at, but instead of having it under control like many Asian countries it's running wild and we've no fucking idea what's happening because we won't even test anyone but the critically ill? 

It’s impossible to control. It’s out there with no vaccine. The minute people are able to travel again it’ll be back.  Good luck trying to keep people at home for a couple of years. 

A smarter man than me would be able to go in the Tory and Brexit thread and see posts about old people dying from the usual suspects.  

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If it’s not trolling then you are fucking thick. All those cuts have made us worse. Austerity wasn’t forced upon us like a global fucking pandemic you ignorant prick. This is about saving as many lives as possible. Obviously your beloved self-serving cunts will try their best to profit over saving people.  Fucking whopper 

It's immaterial whether something was "forced on us" or not, isn't it? If we believe the story about austerity causing deaths, surely an economic hit of much greater magnitude is going to cause more deaths? Perhaps even more than the virus itself?

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's immaterial whether something was "forced on us" or not, isn't it? If we believe the story about austerity causing deaths, surely an economic hit of much greater magnitude is going to cause more deaths? Perhaps even more than the virus itself?

Not if you don’t want it to.

Just now, Jose Jones said:

Not if you don’t want it to.

Okay, well I'd love to hear your solution to what seems to me to be a pretty big fucking problem. But I'd hope we can at least acknowledge that locking the country down for months carries an enormous economic cost, because hardly anyone here seems to be factoring that into their calculations, which is not a luxury the government has.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It’s not immaterial to your attempt at point scoring. Because that’s all it is. 

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Okay, well I'd love to hear your solution to what seems to me to be a pretty big fucking problem. But I'd hope we can at least acknowledge that locking the country down for months carries an enormous economic cost, because hardly anyone here seems to be factoring that into their calculations, which is not a luxury the government has.

Hang on do you think that’s the ideal outcome everyone wants? Because it fucking isn’t. Come in then degree in ecology. What’s your advice? 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Hang on do you think that’s the ideal outcome everyone wants? Because it fucking isn’t. Come in then degree in ecology. What’s your advice? 

I don't have any advice. I'm not an armchair expert. But surely you need to balance deaths from economic impact against deaths from the virus.