You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Sorry, I’ll stop. 

(It’s my shite analogy about shouting the one thing you’ve heard about a subject when watching a quiz on telly. To an expert you’d sound ridiculous, but to people with no knowledge you sound almost like you know something. But you absolutely don’t. So shouting ‘T-cells’ or even better ‘why aren’t they mentioning t-cells’ is fucking mental) 

Haha, got it.

The whole thing has been a seriously sharp case of Occam's Razor. Cases, hospitalisations and deaths started dropping after the lockdown started because transmission was reduced, not because everyone had either had it or these magical T-cells sprung into action.

Cases, hospitalisations and deaths started rising after the lockdown ended because transmission increased, not because of the test suddenly detecting colds or increased testing or whatever bullshit reach Toby Young's blog just came up with.

Sometimes those correlation/ causation graphs are right and not just a funny coincidence. Usually it's when things are tightly coupled and fucking obvious, like people not spreading a disease and all the indicators for that disease reducing.

It's been brilliant for the grifters and conspiracy theorists though- there's 4-6 weeks between something being actioned and then seeing the results of it.

Inevitably, the next couple of scenarios will happen- cases, hospitalisations and deaths will continue to rise post the new lockdown and there'll be a pile on saying it doesn't work. When it finally does kick in (and to be honest with schools still open, that's going to take some time), we'll be back to the previous nonsense about it having infected everyone already, numbers were going down even before the lockdown, T-cells, numbers were faked, tests weren't accurate etc. The government will relax things for Christmas and we'll start all over again. @Sugar Ape outlined it perfectly before.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The mainland is doing pretty well, too.

(That's if you believe them, of course.)

Screenshot_2020-10-31-23-55-38-37.jpg

Screenshot_2020-10-31-23-56-49-27.jpg

Screenshot_2020-10-31-23-57-45-39.jpg

It's almost as though taking decisive action as soon as you can works out better. Surprising, you'd have thought dithering and worrying how telling people to wear fucking masks would be received by selfish cunts would play out better,

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Sorry, I’ll stop. 

(It’s my shite analogy about shouting the one thing you’ve heard about a subject when watching a quiz on telly. To an expert you’d sound ridiculous, but to people with no knowledge you sound almost like you know something. But you absolutely don’t. So shouting ‘T-cells’ or even better ‘why aren’t they mentioning t-cells’ is fucking mental) 

Paddy Ashdown is my bird’s stock answer to politics questions. It’s actually amazing how often it’s right. Seems like at least once a month on The Chase alone. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Paddy Ashdown is my bird’s stock answer to politics questions. It’s actually amazing how often it’s right. Seems like at least once a month on The Chase alone. 

"Which Lib Dem with big tits holds the world record for murdering squirrels" would stump her. Probably.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Grinch said:

What's the hospital restrictions like at the minute, regarding being with your partner for scans and birthing.  Can't see anything bout it. 

If operation moonspaf happens you’ll be able to be in there, if not you’re sat in a car park when she gives birth, so you’ll be sat in a car park..

Friends of mine had a kid a few weeks back and it’s pretty much mum alone, there are some specific visiting times, but pointless in the grand scheme of things. She checked herself out after 18hrs, after a c-section because she hated it so much. Not sure about all hospitals, but the one she was in it was six new mums to a ward in isolation to the rest of the hospital.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Grinch said:

What's the hospital restrictions like at the minute, regarding being with your partner for scans and birthing.  Can't see anything bout it. 

With any luck they’ll let you in just in time for the actual birth and ban you from any false starts or extended labour. That would be perfect for you. You’ll be the envy of dads up and down the country. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

With any luck they’ll let you in just in time for the actual birth and ban you from any false starts or extended labour. That would be perfect for you. You’ll be the envy of dads up and down the country. 

Cheers lads

Sit in the car eating mcds and pop in and out for the main show, whilst she does all the work. 

I'll be listening to that one until the kid leaves home. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Imagine the fume if we're first out of lockdown.

Cant see it myself.

Some fella on Marr from the wellcome trust. He clearly doesn't think this lockdown is enough and his suggestion was no regional lockdowns after this and we should maybe have a national tier 3 plus, which it seems to me is where we'll be on Thursday! Having said all that, he also believes we should have UK wide rules and clearly nobody cares about his views on that! Haha. 

11 hours ago, Mudface said:

It's almost as though taking decisive action as soon as you can works out better. Surprising, you'd have thought dithering and worrying how telling people to wear fucking masks would be received by selfish cunts would play out better,

Wonder what state the rest of the world would be in if China had been up front about things as soon as they knew there was a problem  ?

I'm all for a bit of government bashing in how they've handled things.  I'm just not sure China would be my weapon of choice to dish out said bashing. 

38 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Wonder what state the rest of the world would be in if China had been up front about things as soon as they knew there was a problem  ?

I'm all for a bit of government bashing in how they've handled things.  I'm just not sure China would be my weapon of choice to dish out said bashing. 

I think whatever China had done, we'd still have had our government being complacent and not responding to what was happening on the continent, especially Italy for the first wave and France for the second. We had plenty of warning on both occasions as to what was coming and they just didn't take decisive action.

29 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I think whatever China had done, we'd still have had our government being complacent and not responding to what was happening on the continent, especially Italy for the first wave and France for the second. We had plenty of warning on both occasions as to what was coming and they just didn't take decisive action.

And here's the thing we've now got a month and the lesson of 2 waves, but do you think they'll use that time to fix test, track and trace? Will they fuck. They'll just go, let's have a great Christmas and the vaccine isn't far away. Complacent is a very polite way to put it. I would say more incompetent manslaughtering cunts. 

13 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Oh I agree with you about our governments response but did China not have a responsibility to close their own borders when they knew there was a massive problem instead of turning a blind eye ?

Remember, it took a doctor to alert the world about the severity of what was happening because his government did nothing about it. By the time the news was out, it was too late. The Same Chinese government who still refuse to allow outside officials to do any sort of investigation work in an attempt to understand where and exactly how the virus started which in turn could help to eradicate it. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Oh I agree with you about our governments response but did China not have a responsibility to close their own borders when they knew there was a massive problem instead of turning a blind eye ?

Remember, it took a doctor to alert the world about the severity of what was happening because his government did nothing about it. By the time the news was out, it was too late. The Same Chinese government who still refuse to allow outside officials to do any sort of investigation work in an attempt to understand where and exactly how the virus started which in turn could help to eradicate it. 

Oh definitely, their initial actions were reprehensible- it kind of reminded me of the local party response in Chernobyl, denying there was any issue out of fear, blind loyalty and typical secrecy and making things much worse.

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

And here's the thing we've now got a month and the lesson of 2 waves, but do you think they'll use that time to fix test, track and trace? Will they fuck. They'll just go, let's have a great Christmas and the vaccine isn't far away. Complacent is a very polite way to put it. I would say more incompetent manslaughtering cunts. 

Not a chance. If they'd locked down in the middle of September when SAGE advised them to, and taken notice of the rapidly rising figures in France back then, we might have been able to push any second wave into early next year. As usual they fucked around with that bullshit tier system that their own scientists said wasn't enough, and decided to pick fights with Northern councils over money. Track and trace wasn't even working well with the relatively small amounts of infections then, it's got absolutely no chance now.

15 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Not a chance. If they'd locked down in the middle of September when SAGE advised them to, and taken notice of the rapidly rising figures in France back then, we might have been able to push any second wave into early next year. As usual they fucked around with that bullshit tier system that their own scientists said wasn't enough, and decided to pick fights with Northern councils over money. Track and trace wasn't even working well with the relatively small amounts of infections then, it's got absolutely no chance now.

We could do this though. There are loads of things we can change. Local authorities want a part of tracing, they have told us throughout this crisis that they can do it better than serco, well let's put that to the test. Let's get them working together with governance coming from local authorities over the next 4 weeks. And in the mean time we should be putting all of our efforts into rapid tests. They're cheap, fast and need no expertise. Every kid could do one before going to school each day, every one going to work could take one before going. You could take one before going to the pub. If it's positive, isolate, inform the tracers and get on with it. We'd be cutting 2 days at least probably more to finding people positive and most crucially we'd be testing asymptomatic people. We absolutely can crack this with adequate test and trace. Hopefully the opposition will drive this message home between now and Thursday to such an extent it will force these corrupt murdering cunts into doing this properly instead of the focusing being on paying their mates properly. 

• Upvote 1

From the Guardian live blog-

According to a Sage analysis, mass school closures could reduce R, the reproduction number, by between 0.2 and 0.5. That would be more effective than most other lockdown measures, such as getting people to work from home (which reduces R by between 0.2 and 0.4) and closing bars and restaurants (which reduces R by between 0.1 and 0.2). The only measure with a similar impact would be closing universities (which would also reduce R by between 0.2 and 0.5).