You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

39 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I didn't realise they'd stopped testing patients in hospital for covid. When did that happen?

Winter 2020. (I didn’t know they’d stopped but they insist on masks, I had to wear one in A&E). I’m still training a couple of doctors and nurses and they wear them.

13 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Winter 2020. (I didn’t know they’d stopped but they insist on masks, I had to wear one in A&E). I’m still training a couple of doctors and nurses and they wear them.

How odd. I was tested regularly when I was in hospital in February/March 2021.

14 minutes ago, Strontium said:

How odd. I was tested regularly when I was in hospital in February/March 2021.

They asked me if I’d tested but didn’t perform one, even though I’d said I hadn’t tested as I felt as though I was having a heart attack and testing for covid seemed a lower priority than calling an ambulance.

Fuck sake, the Guardian spreading more lies.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/26/covid-virus-likely-laboratory-leak-us-energy-department

www.theguardian.com

Covid-19 likely emerged from laboratory leak, US energy department says

The virus which drove the Covid-19 pandemic most likely emerged from a laboratory leak but not as part of a weapons program, according to an updated and classified 2021 US energy department study provided to the White House and senior American lawmakers, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

The department’s finding – a departure from previous studies on how the virus emerged – came in an update to a document from the office of National Intelligence director Avril Haines. It follows an FBI finding, issued with “moderate confidence”, that the virus spread after leaking out of a Chinese laboratory.

The conclusion from the energy department – which oversees a network of 17 US laboratories, including areas of advanced biology – is considered significant despite the fact that, as the report said, the agency made its updated judgment with “low confidence”.

Conflicting hypotheses on the origins of Covid-19 have centered either on an unidentified animal transmitting the virus to humans or its accidental leak from a Chinese research laboratory in Wuhan.

The spread of Covid-19, just one in a line of infectious coronoviruses to emerge, caught global health bodies unawares in early 2020. It has since caused close to 7 million deaths worldwide, according to the World Health Organization, and disrupted trade as well as travel.

Former US president Donald Trump politicized the issue, calling it the “China virus”, triggering a racialization of a pandemic that his Democratic successor Joe Biden has sought to avoid. But political polarization remains under the surface of efforts to establish its origins.

The energy department’s updated findings run counter to reports by four other US intelligence agencies that concluded the epidemic started as the result of natural transmission from an infected animal. Two agencies remain undecided.

US officials, the Journal said, also declined to expand on new intelligence or analysis that led the energy department to change its position. They also noted that the energy department and FBI arrived at the same conclusion for different reasons.

The CIA remains undecided between leak and natural transmission theories, according to the National Intelligence Council study. But while the initial 2021 report did not reach a conclusion, it did offer a consensus view that Covid-19 was not part of a Chinese biological weapons program.

The National Security adviser, Jake Sullivan, acknowledged Sunday that there are a “variety of views” within US intelligence agencies on the issue.

“Some elements of the intelligence community have reached conclusions on one side, some on the other, and a number have said they just don’t have enough information to be sure,” Sullivan told CNN.

But he said that the Biden administration has “directed repeatedly every element of our intelligence community to put effort and resources on getting to the bottom of this question”.

Sullivan added that Biden had specifically requested that the National Laboratories under the energy department be brought into the assessment. “He wants to put every tool at use to figure out what happened,” Sullivan said.

“Right now there is not a definitive answer to emerge from the intelligence community on this question,” he added, referring to eight of 18 agencies – along with the National Intelligence Council – that have looked in Covid-19s origins.

A previous report by the energy department’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in May 2020 concluded that a lab-leak theory was plausible.

The updated, five-page NIC assessment, the Journal reported, “was done in light of new intelligence, further study of academic literature and consultation with experts outside government” and comes as Republicans in Congress press for more information.

A spokesperson for the energy department wrote in a statement that the agency “continues to support the thorough, careful, and objective work of our intelligence professionals in investigating the origins of Covid-19, as the president directed”.

Chinese officials have disputed that Covid-19 could have leaked from its labs, among them the Wuhan Institute of Virology, the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, (CDC) and the Wuhan Institute of Biological Products.

According to the initial US 2021 intelligence report, Covid-19 first circulated in Wuhan, China, no later than November 2019, when three researchers from the Wuhan Institute of Virology – reportedly involved in coronavirus research – were sick enough to seek hospital care.

18 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Wall Street Journal has reported the same.

It's the same source - a report from the US Energy Dept rated 'low confidence'.

“Right now there is not a definitive answer to emerge from the intelligence community on this question,” he added, referring to eight of 18 agencies – along with the National Intelligence Council – that have looked in Covid-19s origins.

So nobody has any actual evidence that it came from the lab, but it came from the lab.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, M_B said:

So nobody has any actual evidence that it came from the lab, but it came from the lab.

Low confidence it came from a lab, previously other US dept. published medium confidence info it came from wild animals. Still seems they are no where closer to finding out what exactly caused it or where it came from. 

46 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Low confidence it came from a lab, previously other US dept. published medium confidence info it came from wild animals. Still seems they are no where closer to finding out what exactly caused it or where it came from. 

Does seem strange Wutan was the initial source and home to a massive biological research facility. Could be coincidence I suppose.

Mate of mine worked for months in China in the City. He then got moved to the countryside and was delighted as he is big into wildlife. When he got there he wanted to do some trips to see the local wildlife. Turns out there was none as the people had eaten everything.

Got the following post off FB - the guy is clearly anti vax - but I followed the link, which is genuine and they are pretty interesting figures for PNG. Can anyone explain this? Has WHO actually recored wrong stats?

*Question: Why isn't anyone in the mainstream media talking about the covid situation in PNG?

Since February 2020 less than 5% of the population there have been vaccinated for it, and the result?
Only 45,000 cases (out of a population of nearly 10 million), less than 700 deaths and the pandemic is all but over!!!
This in a country with poor public health infrastructure.

There's the 'control group' right there and the implications are staggering to say the least...*

https://covid19.who.int/region/wpro/country/pg

829D415E-4F52-407C-ABA0-223DE23D79F2.png

Christopher Wray, the FBI director, has weighed in on the debate over the origins of the Covid-19 virus, using an appearance on Fox News to endorse the theory that the virus potentially originated from a leak in a Chinese laboratory.

“The FBI has for quite some time now assessed that the origins of the pandemic are most likely a potential lab incident in Wuhan,” Wray told Fox News’ Brett Baier, adding that the assessment was based on research the agency’s analysts, including scientists, had conducted and that “our work related to this continues”.

On 27/02/2023 at 13:28, M_B said:

Any opinion on the FBI having "moderate confidence"? An upgrade from the 'low confidence' level set by the US Energy Dept. Or is there only a certain level of confidence that you accept? 

"A 2021 report released from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence stated that one “element” of the intelligence community had “moderate confidence” that a lab leak was the cause of the coronavirus spreading to the public."

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/3878243-fbi-director-says-origin-of-covid-19-pandemic-most-likely-a-lab-incident-in-wuhan/

22 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Any opinion on the FBI having "moderate confidence"? An upgrade from the 'low confidence' level set by the US Energy Dept. Or is there only a certain level of confidence that you accept? 

"A 2021 report released from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence stated that one “element” of the intelligence community had “moderate confidence” that a lab leak was the cause of the coronavirus spreading to the public."

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/3878243-fbi-director-says-origin-of-covid-19-pandemic-most-likely-a-lab-incident-in-wuhan/

I accept evidence. I'm funny like that. At the moment it's all circumstantial. Is that ok with you or are you going to neg me again for having an opinion different to yours?

Your own article states:

But U.S. intelligence agencies were divided on what the pandemic’s origin was.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday that people who read the DOE’s report said the CIA and one other agency are unsure about the source of the pandemic, while the report said the National Intelligence Council and four agencies believe it came by a natural occurrence from an infected animal.

So would you bet your house on it being a lab leak?