You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2020

Captain Turdseye

4 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Eubsnk before the Watson fight was a absolute beast. Still say he has the best chin I've seen in British boxing. Would have loved to see him vs Froch at their respective peaks. Both had unbelievable chins. Eubank just looked like someone had carved him out of marble. 

Yeah he wasn't the same after Watson. Held himself back in a lot of fights. He was definitely my favourite of that great era. His last great performance was against Henry Wharton, who had given Benn a hell of a scrap previous. 

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Gutted I missed out on that era. Benn/Eubank is arguably the best sporting rivalry ever. You could have them playing crown green bowls and it would be utterly captivating.

I remember the build up to their first fight mate, including that famous interview posted earlier where Eubank had his back turned to Benn. I never really liked Benn so I was in the Eubank camp from the start. Great times to be a boxing fan. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KMD7 said:

Yeah he wasn't the same after Watson. Held himself back in a lot of fights. He was definitely my favourite of that great era. His last great performance was against Henry Wharton, who had given Benn a hell of a scrap previous. 

Glad to see you back on the mend.

May I suggest some wild 90s heavyweight action as you rest:

(11:55)

16 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Glad to see you back on the mend.

May I suggest some wild 90s heavyweight action as you rest:

(11:55)

Nice one Kev, and thanks. Doing well. 

Edit. I love that Cooper Moorer fight. One of my favourites from that decade. 

Moorer was a strange one. Lovely boxer but could get nailed.

1 minute ago, KMD7 said:

@Kevin D who do you think would have one between Bowe and Lewis if they had fought mate? I've had this conversation with @Toxteth O'Grady a few times and he goes for Lewis, and he's probably right.

I've always thought a prime Bowe (short as it was) might have beaten him. Pity it never happened. Thoughts?

Lewis, definitely.

I think head to head Lewis is a nightmare for any heavyweight. I have him as a top 5 heavyweight ATG, assuming he is motivated and in shape.

His size, his reach, his jab, his uppercut and his Manny Stewart tricks of the trade(holding a guy by his neck, putting his weight on him, and tying punchers up all night long, while keeping your chin tucked). 6'5, 240lbs and throws 30 jabs a round.

Really hard guy to beat.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kevin D said:

Lewis, definitely.

I think head to head Lewis is a nightmare for any heavyweight. I have him as a top 5 heavyweight ATG, assuming he is motivated and in shape.

His size, his reach, his jab, his uppercut and his Manny Stewart tricks of the trade(holding a guy by his neck, putting his weight on him, and tying punchers up all night long, while keeping your chin tucked). 6'5, 240lbs and throws 30 jabs a round.

Really hard guy to beat.

Yeah hard to argue with that mate. Definitely with Manny in his corner he was exceptional. 

1 hour ago, KMD7 said:

Collins telling Eubank he had been hypnotised might be the best piece of psychological warfare I've ever seen.

Eubank was legitimately scared when he heard that in a way you rarely see at the top level.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KMD7 said:

@Kevin D who do you think would have one between Bowe and Lewis if they had fought mate? I've had this conversation with @Toxteth O'Grady a few times and he goes for Lewis, and he's probably right.

I've always thought a prime Bowe (short as it was) might have beaten him. Pity it never happened. Thoughts?

Yeah, we had a good gab about this one. I'd take Lewis 8/2 for a few reasons, but the main one is because Lewis really, really wanted the fight and a confident, properly prepared Lewis who was up for the fight was one of the best Heavyweights of all time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I'd say that a peak, motivated, well trained Lennox Lewis is in top 5 Heavyweights of all time.

I concur.

Louis and Ali are interchangeable as 1a and 1b, Holmes is 3, Foreman is 4 and I have Lewis as 5.

I think Lewis has a very credible claim of being the best British boxer ever.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KMD7 said:

A couple you may not have seen:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KMD7 said:

And a few documentaries, while you're in the house can't hurt:

Jack Johnson - 

(They're making this into a 6 episode HBO mini-series with Mashershali Ali as Johnson)

Sonny Liston - https://ololo.to/video/Lp5jdbmdJiXfX+JvlQG8YbLIZU4YpoW1l6lHGSKkjbjx22BflN5dPPvBFZfNYIXb6cnGG7nyL9lb7b/2cDsTpuETI0hDDktrRRSe3nom9Pc=

And a new(2019) Ali HBO one that's pretty good. https://ww1.new-primewire.com/series/whats-my-name-muhammad-ali-season-1/MiaG2Lpb/6c42iQTn-watch-online.html

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kevin D said:

And a few documentaries, while you're in the house can't hurt:

Jack Johnson - 

(They're making this into a 6 episode HBO mini-series with Mashershali Ali as Johnson)

Sonny Liston - https://ololo.to/video/Lp5jdbmdJiXfX+JvlQG8YbLIZU4YpoW1l6lHGSKkjbjx22BflN5dPPvBFZfNYIXb6cnGG7nyL9lb7b/2cDsTpuETI0hDDktrRRSe3nom9Pc=

And a new(2019) Ali HBO one that's pretty good. https://ww1.new-primewire.com/series/whats-my-name-muhammad-ali-season-1/MiaG2Lpb/6c42iQTn-watch-online.html

If you want something to listen to look up history on fire podcast and he covers Jack Johnson, nearly 6hrs of podcasting. 

Also @KMD7 if you are in the UK or Ireland I have a couple of boxing books if yous like me to send them to you. No cost just PM me were to send them if your interested 

• Upvote 1

I think the 90s doesn't get the credit it deserves on how food it was in boxing history, especially middleweight down to featherweight. Some brilliant fights around and the early stages of some great careers too

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

If you want something to listen to look up history on fire podcast and he covers Jack Johnson, nearly 6hrs of podcasting. 

Also @KMD7 if you are in the UK or Ireland I have a couple of boxing books if yous like me to send them to you. No cost just PM me were to send them if your interested 

+1.

The 3 parter on Johnson is really good. 

History on fire is generally excellent, as well. 4 parter on Joan of Arc, 4 on the Spanish conquest of Mexico, 2 on Spartacus and he is now in the middle of the Chinese civil war. Really engaging, thorough and entertaining.

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I think the 90s doesn't get the credit it deserves on how food it was in boxing history, especially middleweight down to featherweight. Some brilliant fights around and the early stages of some great careers too

This is one of the best fights I've ever seen

17 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Completely agree Lee. Such a great era in the Heavyweight division and the Uk fight scene as well