You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

There is nothing that doesn't convince me that Tierney and Coote are bent. There is no other explanation.  

I watched us on MOTD, the Premier league's flagship highlights show and NOTHING was mentioned about the massively controversial ruling out of our 2 goals. If it's not getting reported at that level nothing will be done about it. If our manager or players talk about it they get fined and banned. It's some of the most blatant corruption you could wish to see. And nothing will get done because everyone's getting paid by Abu Dhabi.

Screenshot_20231228_110356_X.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

There is nothing that doesn't convince me that Tierney and Coote are bent. There is no other explanation.  

I watched us on MOTD, the Premier league's flagship highlights show and NOTHING was mentioned about the massively controversial ruling out of our 2 goals. If it's not getting reported at that level nothing will be done about it. If our manager or players talk about it they get fined and banned. It's some of the most blatant corruption you could wish to see. And nothing will get done because everyone's getting paid by Abu Dhabi.

Screenshot_20231228_110356_X.jpg

I said a while back, I think the motd team are fed up of complaining about refs. You hear it in every conversation. Last week with the arsenal one, they were just "how is that not a pen". I watched MOTD pissed after Burnley and I thought the mentioned the push on Salah. They didn't make a meal out of it because either they're pissed off talking about it all the time or they can't. Linekar and Wright especially have been vocal on the quality of refereeing and some of the mental rules for years. 

Dyche on VAR and ref decisions after the Spurs v Liverpool game.

I’m a fan of it in the decision-making side of things because I think it’s important in terms of where the game is at now in terms of the business side of the spectacle,” 

Oh how the turntables....

'That's completely natural. He's not putting his arm up to save it, he's literally jumping in to try to block the ball. How that is given as a penalty is bizarre in my world but I must be from a different planet. 

'Tonight the linesman gives that and he's 18 yards away so I don't know who is giving what any more.

'Who knows? All the managers are debating it. Someone needs to stand up at some point and realise that can't be a penalty because he's just throwing himself in front of it to try to block the ball, that's it.'

Yeah, you, Arteta, Postecoglu and all the other managers subsequently 'wronged' be refereeing decisions are right, someone should stand up and make a stand, just a shame that when someone did you all defended refs and VAR because it wasn't you being impacted.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, No2 said:

I don't think it's as black and white as that, Mo is pushed forward because he isn't expecting it, in a normal jostle he's not being moved as easily. 

No. Same thing. Mo pushes a defender who isn't expecting it and a goal is scored. Foul or not?  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I said a while back, I think the motd team are fed up of complaining about refs. You hear it in every conversation. Last week with the arsenal one, they were just "how is that not a pen". I watched MOTD pissed after Burnley and I thought the mentioned the push on Salah. They didn't make a meal out of it because either they're pissed off talking about it all the time or they can't. Linekar and Wright especially have been vocal on the quality of refereeing and some of the mental rules for years. 

They'll rediscover their energy for discussing refs if we suddenly get a big dodgy call go our way.....Will be a full blown inquest and loads of indignation then.

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

Any chance you can ref some of our games. 

I'd love to, it's actually harder than you would imagine to favor a one team over the other. I've a few clubs I despise and would actively look to have them beat but instinct kicks in on the tight calls.

5 hours ago, No2 said:

I'd love to, it's actually harder than you would imagine to favor a one team over the other. I've a few clubs I despise and would actively look to have them beat but instinct kicks in on the tight calls.

Mate, I’d be a fucking ace ref. Firm but fair. Although Bruno Fernandez would be sent off in the second minute, simply for looking like a mardy cunt.  

6 hours ago, an tha said:

They'll rediscover their energy for discussing refs if we suddenly get a big dodgy call go our way.....Will be a full blown inquest and loads of indignation then.

I don't think so. I genuinely think linekar and Wright are exhausted with it all. I'm pretty sure Wright even thought the handball v arsenal was a pen (can't remember if it was motd or elsewhere). I'm sure many pundits are not like them, but I genuinely think with those two, they see it like average fans, they just no longer understand how they can say anything without saying the same thing every week. Which doesn't make good TV. Out off all the bad decisions happening in football, I put lineker and Wright at the absolute bottom of people to blame. 

• Upvote 2

Watching the games last night, I was thinking that part of VAR’s issue is that every time it’s used the TV says “VAR controversy”.

It’s not controversial when the right decision is made. They couldn’t prove the WHU opener was out, so didn’t intervene. There was a clear pull on Welbeck in the Brighton game and was right to intervene. 

It just feels the inconsistency of it is ridiculous, however, you get that on field (ie refs deeming different challenges fouls / card worthy) so I see why it would happen, although I suppose the argument to that is that it shouldn’t be that way. 

Diaz incident aside, I think the Jones tackle is the most infuriating incident this season. Obviously looks bad slowed down, we all know it isn’t a dangerous tackle and accidental. The challenge on Mac Allister at Sheff Utd was equally accidental but has resulted in Mac Allister having stitches and missing 6 games injured. If the directive is now challenges like Jones’ one now shouldn’t be deemed a red card, then fine and it’s a change for the better. I doubt it though and wouldn’t be surprised if another challenge like the above 2 results in another red card this season - especially when you see the Udogie challenge v Chelsea or Romero challenge v Newcastle or Kovačić tackle v Arsenal not fully punished. 

If it was decided the Ake goal v Fulham shouldn’t have stood and as a result, the Elliott goal v Burnley was disallowed on similar grounds, then, as unfortunate as it is we were punished, if it leads to change then good. 

Same as the Gakpo goal at Burnley. I don’t think Nunez touched the Burnley player, it was all a bit untidy. If examples of this stops the forensic refereeing of games, then again, as unfortunate as it is we were punished, if it leads to change then good. 

I have zero confidence this will happen though. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Watching the games last night, I was thinking that part of VAR’s issue is that every time it’s used the TV says “VAR controversy”.

It’s not controversial when the right decision is made. They couldn’t prove the WHU opener was out, so didn’t intervene. There was a clear pull on Welbeck in the Brighton game and was right to intervene. 

It just feels the inconsistency of it is ridiculous, however, you get that on field (ie refs deeming different challenges fouls / card worthy) so I see why it would happen, although I suppose the argument to that is that it shouldn’t be that way. 

Diaz incident aside, I think the Jones tackle is the most infuriating incident this season. Obviously looks bad slowed down, we all know it isn’t a dangerous tackle and accidental. The challenge on Mac Allister at Sheff Utd was equally accidental but has resulted in Mac Allister having stitches and missing 6 games injured. If the directive is now challenges like Jones’ one now shouldn’t be deemed a red card, then fine and it’s a change for the better. I doubt it though and wouldn’t be surprised if another challenge like the above 2 results in another red card this season - especially when you see the Udogie challenge v Chelsea or Romero challenge v Newcastle or Kovačić tackle v Arsenal not fully punished. 

If it was decided the Ake goal v Fulham shouldn’t have stood and as a result, the Elliott goal v Burnley was disallowed on similar grounds, then, as unfortunate as it is we were punished, if it leads to change then good. 

Same as the Gakpo goal at Burnley. I don’t think Nunez touched the Burnley player, it was all a bit untidy. If examples of this stops the forensic refereeing of games, then again, as unfortunate as it is we were punished, if it leads to change then good. 

I have zero confidence this will happen though. 

VAR is always controversial because a huge number of Football supporters want it scrapped completely.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

VAR is always controversial because a huge number of Football supporters want it scrapped completely.

It’s clearly not going to happen so I don’t understand why you bother making that point every time. 

The officials need to be better. Better officials means better on field decisions. Better on field decisions means less use of VAR. If the officials are better, they’ll get more VAR calls right as well. 

Also, some of the rules need tightening. The Elliott disallowed goal was likely technically correct. Officials likely think they have done their job properly there, the vast majority of supporters won’t feel that’s in the spirit of the game. Handball needs looking at as well, as does tolerance or changes in technology for offside’s to stop these long ass checks - even the most simple looking decisions (ie Garnacho v Villa) are taking forever. 

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It’s clearly not going to happen so I don’t understand why you bother making that point every time. 

The officials need to be better. Better officials means better on field decisions. Better on field decisions means less use of VAR. If the officials are better, they’ll get more VAR calls right as well. 

Also, some of the rules need tightening. The Elliott disallowed goal was likely technically correct. Officials likely think they have done their job properly there, the vast majority of supporters won’t feel that’s in the spirit of the game. Handball needs looking at as well, as does tolerance or changes in technology for offside’s to stop these long ass checks - even the most simple looking decisions (ie Garnacho v Villa) are taking forever. 

I make the point because I feel very strongly about it & will continue to do so.

Nothing would ever get done in this World if everyone sat on their arses saying 'It'll never happen.". That's half the reason Football and this country in general is fucked.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Mook said:

I make the point because I feel very strongly about it & will continue to do so.

Nothing would ever get done in this World if everyone sat on their arses saying 'It'll never happen.". That's half the reason Football and this country in general is fucked.

Posting on a forum isn’t going to do anything. I might as well post “I want a 3-some with Taylor Swift and Katy Perry” in every thread because it’ll have the same effect.

Alternatively a way forward could be working on my recommendation (which I’m sure baby steps are being taken towards) - greatly improve the level of officiating, have less reliance on VAR and make better decisions when VAR is required. 

The whole process starts and ends with the bozos officiating matches.

The problem is there are no steps towards improvement being taken - they refuse to learn, they are too arrogant to make real change and the shitshow rolls on and keeps getting worse.

I thought the Diaz thing might be watershed moment - it wasn't. 

The tool could be fine, sadly it is in the hands of at best incompetent, arrogant clowns and at worse corrrupt, incompetent, arrogant clowns.

24 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Posting on a forum isn’t going to do anything. I might as well post “I want a 3-some with Taylor Swift and Katy Perry” in every thread because it’ll have the same effect.

Alternatively a way forward could be working on my recommendation (which I’m sure baby steps are being taken towards) - greatly improve the level of officiating, have less reliance on VAR and make better decisions when VAR is required. 

The whole process starts and ends with the bozos officiating matches.

I'm not just posting about it on forums though, I voted with my feet and stopped doing something in 2019 which I started doing in 1986.

I've also signed a few petitions & supported any anti-VAR thing I see online.

Posting anything on a Football forum is pretty pointless when you think about it, but here we are on the VAR thread & I'm posting what I think about it, that it should be fucking scrapped completely. I believe the number of people in my corner is growing too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, an tha said:

The problem is there are no steps towards improvement being taken - they refuse to learn, they are too arrogant to make real change and the shitshow rolls on and keeps getting worse.

I thought the Diaz thing might be watershed moment - it wasn't. 

The tool could be fine, sadly it is in the hands of at best incompetent, arrogant clowns and at worse corrrupt, incompetent, arrogant clowns.

It has been better since the Diaz moment, however the bar was so low at that point (ie not just that game, all officiating up to that point) was so poor, it’s not much of an achievement. 

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm not just posting about it on forums though, I voted with my feet and stopped doing something in 2019 which I started doing in 1986.

I've also signed a few petitions & supported any anti-VAR thing I see online.

Posting anything on a Football forum is pretty pointless when you think about it, but here we are on the VAR thread & I'm posting what I think about it, that it should be fucking scrapped completely.

Feel I could say a bit to this, I’m going to leave it at “Lets agree to disagree”.