You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul Stewart - abused by football coach

HolyHank

This is the third such article I've read in the past week, after two by Daniel Taylor in The Guardian. Gut-wrenching stuff.

Won't mention who I think the article is referring to when saying there are fears a respected manager may be implicated, but I wonder if there was a clue in the Steve Walters article.

Hope not.

He also says he used cocaine daily while playing for us. Can understand why, after reading his life story:

“Playing alongside Gascoigne, Waddle, Rush, Barnes; to be on the same pitch, that is what I set out to do as a young player. I still have some fond memories, I just know the abuse affected my life. I thought about suicide constantly, even at the pinnacle of my career. I thought I was upsetting my family, I thought it would be better if I was not around. The only way I could handle it was to get drunk or get high. I would go on a bender and lose days at a time.”

No, not at all. Just a silly nick. I was just thinking of the big scandal of the catholic church and paedo priests. Now it looks like something similar has been round in football.

But actually, it should not come as a surprise. Molesters are looking for environments where they have access to children, like in sports, schools, churches, and so on

• Upvote 1

Tough to read, and with everything that's come out in the last 5, 10 or more years, I guess it's no surprise that predatory paedophiles would operate in football - an environment that brings you close to kids from vulnerable backgrounds.

You wouldn't be surprised if floodgates opened, and in a way you hope they do if there are many offenders out there.

The comment about having watched spotlight struck me though, just trying to get my head around how you could watch such a film having lived through the abuse.

You wouldn't be surprised if floodgates opened, and in a way you hope they do if there are many offenders out there.

The comment about having watched spotlight struck me though, just trying to get my head around how you could watch such a film having lived through the abuse.

I read something a while ago, the average time span before a male who has been abused or raped actually tells someone is around 16 years. 

The same as with rape it does some pretty complex mental damage and people really struggle to even admit it's happened to people they know let alone go further with it.

Hence cases like Saville etc. where years later once one person comes out suddenly loads of people open up about it. Which then tends to lead to a load of the shit about "why didn't they say something sooner" which in itself doesn't help as it all adds to the shame and guilt they feel already.

Statistically most people are abused by someone they already know, if you have a child and they are abused the reality is it's either going to be done by you, a member of your family, a friend of the family or a teacher etc. not some stranger loitering in a park. 

The reality here though is just like when it was brought up with the church, politicians etc. it will ultimately be swept under the carpet, maybe a couple of scape goats will be held up for sacrifice and fuck all meaningful will be done. 

There is an old Dispatches documentary that i saw a few years back. It was originally recorded in the late 90s.

The documentary basically highlights that scout and exposes what and how it happened. Football is representative of society so sadly no big surprises.

Here is an old article.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/boy-soccer-players-being-put-at-risk-1284592.html

One thing i cannot get my head around (in such cases) is how parents don't believe their own child.

You'd be well surprised. In my school there was a dodgy teacher who was getting kids into his office to do all sorts. It was going on for years, when somebody was brave enough to speak out some of the parents were still saying"oh,but he's a great teacher and you can't believe what children say".

• Upvote 1

You'd be well surprised. In my school there was a dodgy teacher who was getting kids into his office to do all sorts. It was going on for years, when somebody was brave enough to speak out some of the parents were still saying"oh,but he's a great teacher and you can't believe what children say".

This will be especially true when there's some sort of religious angle too.

No wonder he wasn't that good for us. The drink and drug taking prior to joining us plus the psychological damage everything involved with the abuse has taken on him. Always wondered why he wasn't as good here as when he played for Tottenham. I thought he was a decent player at Spurs but he just didn't show anything here what he had been capable of previously.

I can remember being in the Centenary stand and we were playing some mid table club. Some fella was slagging him off the whole game then he came over to take a throw in. This fella had a go at him shouting "i hate you, you fat fucking Manc. You're fucking shite".

He didn't react but just put his head down trying not to make eye contact with him and took the throw. This fella seemed quite pleased with himself even after a few people had told him to shut up. I hope he's read that article today.

The 70s & 80s must have been great for fucking nonces, I was just reading about this cunt at Crewe, he had a house where loads of the boys would come round to stay with a pet monkey, pool tables & arcade machines.

Can you imagine that now? The paedo-meter would be off the scale.

This bloke (Barry Bennell) is currently out of jail with an assumed name, a guy who the US authorities have described as having 'an insatiable appetite for young boys'. Absolutely unbelievable.