You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Over rated writers

Gnasher

Roald Dahl. 

Been reading them all to my daughter - and they are just shite. The only ones that are even barely readable, like Matilda, were completely rewritten by an editor appointed by his publishers so they could actually understand it.

Oh, and also, he was a complete twat in real life as well.

Pains me to say it, but David Walliams books are actually far better written, which is not a sentence I ever thought I would write.

• Downvote 3

Roald Dahl. 

Been reading them all to my daughter - and they are just shite. The only ones that are even barely readable, like Matilda, were completely rewritten by an editor appointed by his publishers so they could actually understand it.

Pains me to say it, but David Walliams books are actually far better written, which is not a sentence I ever thought I would write.

Mate, I know it's all about opinions, but that is as stone cold a neg as I think I've seen.

Mate, I know it's all about opinions, but that is as stone cold a neg as I think I've seen.

I completely understand. David Walliams is a wobbly faced, Frankie Howard wannabe, and I have no time for him at all. 

But is 'The Boy in a Dress' better than 'James and the Giant Peach' ? - absolutely.

• Upvote 1

I completely understand. David Walliams is a wobbly faced, Frankie Howard wannabe, and I have no time for him at all.

But is 'The Boy in a Dress' better than 'James and the Giant Peach' ? - absolutely.

Have you read her The Twits and The BFG?

I'm sure if I read them for the first time now I'd think differently, but as a kid they were magic.

The idea of a married couple who hate each other so much they want to fuck each other over constantly is brilliant when you're 4, explains so much of adult life so quickly!

I'm just biased mate as I loved them, and got our neice into reading through his books, and because, as you say, Walliams is something of a smarmy bell.

The Catcher in the Rye is one for me. Everyone reads that when they're in their teens / early twenties. It's got this moniker like it's a life changing coming of age tale but fuck all happens in the entirety of the book. I got told at the time that it was really controversial and subversive because it inspired a lot of serial killers in America, don't know why like because it's about a rich lad that does nothing.

• Upvote 2

Bullshit. Walliams is just standing on the shoulders of Dahl. He even has his books illustrated by Quentin Blake. Walliams' books are good, but Dahl's are fucking classics.

If you disagree I will have to ask you to step outside.

Bullshit. Walliams is just standing on the shoulders of Dahl. He even has his books illustrated by Quentin Blake. Walliams' books are good, but Dahl's are fucking classics.

If you disagree I will have to ask you to step outside.

A real man's reaction.

I feel ashamed.

Whoever wrote the bible, unbelievable nonsense.

His first book, The Old Testament had some rocking great scenes but he started believing his own hype and disappeared up his own arse after that. The movie was a total sell out too.

Also, Doctor Seuss? Classmate of Doctor Nick Riviera I reckon.

Flann O'Brien? I hope he was paying royalties to Myles NaGopaleen is all I'm saying.

90% of poets. It doesn't rhyme so it's not a poem, it's drug addled linguistic masturbation. Read some Doctor Seuss and learn how it's done.

Richard Bachman, I hope he's paying royalties to Stephen King is all I'm saying.

Shakespeare. I find his stuff to be a bit dated to tell the truth.

TLW Content. Christ, he goes on and on.

Jules Verne. 20,000? Underwater?! Watered down beyond recognition more like. Completely ignored the lessons of ITV Digital.

J.K. Rowling. A wizard did it. Lazy.

• Upvote 2

Roald Dahl.

What a load of bollocks. The Witches is one of my all-time favourite books.