You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you keep Rodgers at the end of the season?

Boss

Should Rodgers stay in those circumstances?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rodgers stay in those circumstances?

• Yes- It's clear to see he's on the right path and just needs more time.
    • Yes- It was the transfer commitee that fucked us.
    • Yes- As long as that fake scouser and FSG's yesmen fuck off instead
    • No- He jibbed his wife off so he doesn't practise what he preaches
    • No- He's had enough time and his signings haven't been good enough
    • No- I'm fed up of seeing 5 at the back and Adam Lallana Cruyff turns.
    • Other - Ie stop being a negative cunt....

I think we've bought two good players since Rodgers and the committee, does that answer it for you?

On the other hand, I think Rodgers has done quite well as a coach.

Four for me.  Sturridge, Coutinho, Sakho, Can.  Between them costing £47m to £50m.  Good to see the rest of that £200million+ go to waste though.

The premise of your question is just all wrong. Being accountable for the performance on the pitch and being responsible for purchasing of the players are two very different things. You're setting up a reality where if you don't buy the players you can't be accountable for performances, which you very much can.

I can imagine a scenario really easily. This one. You have to have a real poverty of imagination not to be able to picture that a man of Rodgers standing might want to stay at a club like Liverpool and work under the constraints of a committee system as it's as good as it gets for him right now. And both of us would jump into his shoes given the chance.

He has the authority and ability to determine the performances on the pitch. He might just not have total authority over the players he's working with. Like many, many, many, many, many other coaches around Europe.

He is messing up badly on the pitch now, and has done for most of the season.  

I actually believe Rodgers has similar authority with regard to player acquisitions as everyone else in the league.  My point was hypothetical.  

But if some people on here are to be believed, and Rodgers had little or no say in the acquisitions, then I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would walk away from a 'no win' position, where my influence on the destiny of the team was going to be severely constrained by players I don't like or cannot fit into the style of play that I prefer.  If it was the case, and I don't believe it is for a moment, then Rodgers might conclude that the reputational damage to him is not worth the comforts afforded to him by a big contract at Liverpool.  

Rafa did precisely this - I may not agree with the way he did it, but he wasn't about to hang around when he felt his ability to influence things on the pitch was outweighed by the constraints placed upon him, and I can completely understand that.  

I think we've bought two good players since Rodgers and the committee, does that answer it for you?

On the other hand, I think Rodgers has done quite well as a coach.

Well I can see how he would have overachieved given that summary. 

Four for me.  Sturridge, Coutinho, Sakho, Can.  Between them costing £47m to £50m.  Good to see the rest of that £200million+ go to waste though.

I have those four and Lallana and Allen. We paid a little too much for those guys but their wages are low compared to a "true" 25m or 15m player.

I just think that we have probably about the same hit/miss rate as we always have.

Four good players yet we have become a much stronger squad since Rodgers took over and have progressed in the league despite our rivals spending more or as much as us.

Going by that the standards you and others seem to be setting for a good signing is they have to be world class or have potential to be, players who are very good or have done a good job for the team are being deemed failures.

I have those four and Lallana and Allen. We paid a little too much for those guys but their wages are low compared to a "true" 25m or 15m player.

I just think that we have probably about the same hit/miss rate as we always have.

Spending £40m on Allen and Lallana in no way contributes to "hit".

Four good players yet we have become a much stronger squad since Rodgers took over and have progressed in the league despite our rivals spending more or as much as us.

Going by that the standards you and others seem to be setting for a good signing is they have to be world class or have potential to be, players who are very good or have done a good job for the team are being deemed failures.

Any cunt would have improved the squad with £200m+.  You talk as if that is some kind of achievement.  The same squad the manager doesn't even trust to use most of the time.

None of the players I mentioned were World Class when we signed them.

I really can't be bothered to engage with you as you're to fucking thick.

• Upvote 2

No way is Lallana on lower than £70k a week and that's not a low wage especially for a player of his ilk.

Spending £40m on Allen and Lallana in no way contributes to "hit".

Allen has shown hes a top player while here and I cant understand those who cant see his qualities, the last two games he was poor but again I think he wasnt helped by noone around him being able to control or keep the ball half as good as he can.

That player ratings after the game made a great point, "his willingness to show for the ball while under pressure perhaps leaving him holding the bag for others' errors".

The other players are happy to give it to him when surrounded but in games like manu and arsenal where they have set out to do a job on him maybe he needs to stop showing for the ball and let others take responsibility instead of him getting them out of the lurch and making himself look bad.

I dont get the criticism of Lallana, his season has been stop start because of injuries but when hes had a run hes shown his quality and at times been the best performer on the pitch, hes a very good player but most seem more concerned about the fee.

• Downvote 1

Allen has shown hes a top player while here and I cant understand those who cant see his qualities, the last two games he was poor but again I think he wasnt helped by noone around him being able to control or keep the ball half as good as he can.

That player ratings after the game made a great point, "his willingness to show for the ball while under pressure perhaps leaving him holding the bag for others' errors".

The other players are happy to give it to him when surrounded but in games like manu and arsenal where they have set out to do a job on him maybe he needs to stop showing for the ball and let others take responsibility instead of him getting them out of the lurch and making himself look bad.

I dont get the criticism of Lallana, his season has been stop start because of injuries but when hes had a run hes shown his quality and at times been the best performer on the pitch, hes a very good player but most seem more concerned about the fee.

Yeah, I don't agree with any of that. Hence thinking spending £40m on Allen and Lallana is pretty terrible business.

• Upvote 3

Sakho looks like he might have the makings of a defender, and Can looks like he has potential in midfield. I thought of those two when I was posting, but neither has nailed down a place in the side yet really so I can only call them ok not good.

Please elaborate on Joe Allen showing himself to be a top player here. 

The fact he can put up with it, with any hypothetical constraints, doesn't make him accountable for things he doesn't control. Being content to crack on doesn't make him responsible for things he has no authority over. 

No it doesn't.

But it also doesn't give him the right to complain about it without being pulled up.

He signed a new and improved contract fully aware of how we operate.

If he wants to cry about it now he knows where the door is.

• Upvote 2

Since Rodgers arrived Liverpool have 199 points Spurs have 195 no trophy's but we still have a very strong chance for the FA Cup. I thought there would be a bigger gap points-wise.

All the teams ie Chelsea, United, Arsenal and City have won silverware and at least got to the last 16 of the C/l at least twice.

I don't really follow what goes on with spurs but I know they have roughly a 25% less spend on wages and I doubt they have as many £15million plus players.

If you asked most Liverpool fans and Brendan Rodgers they would say Tottenham have spent poorly and have had 3 different managers in that time also. 

Not sure what any of this means but seeing as people keeping mentioning City and Arsenal might be worth mentioning the team we are joint on points with at present.