You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What are you opinions of Neil Ruddocks time at Liverpool?

Guest Super Sub

Guest Super Sub

No he fucking did not have 'endearing qualities.' Who the fuck are you, his nephew, a Manc or Bluenose? He was shit and unprofessional and crap at what he was bought to do. Roy being a paper tiger who let shit professionals push him around probably had more to do with it than anything else. Anyone who can remember that huge lump of lard, so called 'hard-man' being knocked around and made to look a dick by average forwards would not look back fondly on his endearing qualities. We didn't have 'pass the 50p' before he arrived, so I guess we were more professional before he ushered in the pre-modern area. Anyway, well fished.

Not related not his nephew and sorry to let you down but I am neither a bluenose or a manc!

Guest Super Sub

Just a knob, then.

A knob? For asking why a player who everyone has said was shit but no one at the time made any effort to get shut of. These same people went to huge lengths to get shut of Hicks and Gillette as well as that French kid who danced during the Hillsboro service. Sorry for being a knob then!

• Downvote 1

My question is not one that we accepted we were not challenging for titles but more the point is why did he last 5 years. In the modern era or before his time we would never have him and yes he wasn't a great professional, but we are looking at him now in 2014. Go back to when he was playing for us we all knew he was shite but had some endearing qualities.

Oh, yeah?  Like mouthing off like a big wideboy Cockney whelk?  Attempting 100 "nearly" balls that flew 40 yards and ran out of play but drew a desperate "ooo" from shallow morons?  Making a big show of being in with the Kop but in reality showing nothing but contempt for every one of us in his approach and preparation?  Sytheing down any player who could knock it past him with ease - in other words just anyone we played against?  Rushing off after a game to make sure he fulfilled his priority of getting back to Liverpool to get to Cream?  Hitting a few long range efforts that went near the goal?  Being more interested in the laddish pursuit of winning a bet by passing a pound coin around on the pitch whilst mugs like me scraped around to fork out my season ticket money every year?

I have to admit that when he played for Spurs, I though the was just the player we needed - tough and commanding.  That opinion must have been based on a few highlight programmes.

He was an absolute disgrace in every way and I utterly hate him.  Man Utd were winning everything with homegrown lads who would die for the shirt.  We had unprofessional wasters ringing it in each week and throwing a few gestures of commitment to the Kop, the majority of whom would close their eyes and hope it had meaning.  It didn't.

I'd love to know what these "endearing qualities" were, because I never saw them.  Neil Ruddock EPITOMISED a real low point for the club.

EDIT: I called poster a shallow moron.  No need for personal abuse.  Sorry.  But I can't believe you have an opinion like the one you have.  He was an ale-soaked waster who was all superficial posturing with no substance or ANY endearing qualities.

• Upvote 2

Guest Super Sub

Oh, yeah? Like mouthing off like a big wideboy Cockney whelk? Attempting 100 "nearly" balls that flew 40 yards and ran out of play but drew a desperate "ooo" from shallow morons? Making a big show of being in with the Kop but in reality showing nothing but contempt for every one of us in his approach and preparation? Sytheing down any player who could knock it past him with ease - in other words just anyone we played against? Rushing off after a game to make sure he fulfilled his priority of getting back to Liverpool to get to Cream? Hitting a few long range efforts that went near the goal? Being more interested in the laddish pursuit of winning a bet by passing a pound coin around on the pitch whilst mugs like me scraped around to fork out my season ticket money every year?

I have to admit that when he played for Spurs, I though the was just the player we needed - tough and commanding. That opinion must have been based on a few highlight programmes.

He was an absolute disgrace in every way and I utterly hate him. Man Utd were winning everything with homegrown lads who would die for the shirt. We had unprofessional wasters ringing it in each week and throwing a few gestures of commitment to the Kop, the majority of whom would close their eyes and hope it had meaning. It didn't.

I'd love to know what these "endearing qualities" were, because I never saw them. Neil Ruddock EPITOMISED a real low point for the club.

EDIT: I called poster a shallow moron. No need for personal abuse. Sorry. But I can't believe you have an opinion like the one you have. He was an ale-soaked waster who was all superficial posturing with no substance or ANY endearing qualities.

My OP. Doesn't say the time Razor was here wasn't a real low point for the club. What my point is why weren't you and everyone else who can see these faults now not saying or shouting them back then.

I heard about Ruddock drinking in Formby and I also heard the stories of him going to Cream. Surely if he was going to Cream it was a publicity stunt by Cream. Modern players are also guilty of such sins.

Guest davelfc

He once broke BOTH of Andy Cole's legs with ONE tackle. I think.

Took my son to Anfield to watch us v the mancs in a reserve game, he did it then. Think he got a yellow card for that. Was worth the quid to get in alone. 

Wasn't there that story about him reading The Sun at Melwood? The one from Collymore's book where they were both doing physio for injuries and Ruddock fucked off the treadmill when the physio left the room and pulled out a bacon butty and a copy of that rag from his bag?

A big fat mess. Shocking to think he wore the red shirt.

He was lucky to play for us. West Ham was his level. At his best he was a limited defender who could get stuck in and add value. Header against the Mancs being the main thing I remember. We had a lot of young players at the time who were enormously talented. They needed a leader who was also a good professional with good habits. Had we signed someone like Desailly (he may have been a few years later than Ruddock, but that's the sort of player I mean) I think that Evans side would have toppled the Mancs.

Instead, the talented younger players never quite realized their potential at Liverpool, and signing the likes of Ruddock ensured that. 

I think he's become a symbol of the kind of players we've wasted the last two decades and untold fortunes signing. A middle of the road type, well into his twenties, who's given a few decent performances,and someone at the club bizarrely thought would rise to our level rather than the reality of turning back into a pumpkin.

I never really took a dislike to him as others did, but the whole football hardman image is just dumb. They're usually the kind of blokes who'd get the shit kicked out of them on a rugby field so they figured they'd stick with being alehouse footballers and pretend to be tough.

He looked a bit like Desperate Dan though, and I liked the Dandy, so at least he had that.

My OP. Doesn't say the time Razor was here wasn't a real low point for the club. What my point is why weren't you and everyone else who can see these faults now not saying or shouting them back then.

Hand on heart, I did.

I remember it was the first game of the season and I had moved to a new seat.  He came out to warm up as sub and the bloke behind me cheered.  I told him and everyone else what I thought of him.  This lad went mad.

As the season wore on, this lad kept shouting his support for Ruddock (he had to to save face after our barney).  About half way through the season even he gave up. 

A fraud and a cheat.  A little, little man.

I quite liked him, he was my favourite player back then (although I was only about 14) end of Souness/Evans era and I can remember him being quite popular on the Kop. Certainly don't remember anyone slagging him off to the extent he has been in this post when he was playing for us.

We was quite shit when he was playing for us certainly in Souness last season I remember him being one of our better players.

Two memories stick out...

First being the equalizer in the 3-3 where he nearly knocked himself out in the process.

Second was watching the big sulking bastard walking right in front of me on that long walk from the dressing rooms to the bench at the old Wembley in 1996 when was was dropped.  Bottom lip was quivering, looked like he was about to cry.

I also remember reading in the programme one time before the match that he said is favourite meal was pie and mash...fat cunt.

I heard about Ruddock drinking in Formby and I also heard the stories of him going to Cream. Surely if he was going to Cream it was a publicity stunt by Cream. Modern players are also guilty of such sins.

Probably the lack of internet back then, you total fucking twat. Just shut up and fuck off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My opinions of him are that he had ability but lacked professionalism. I think there was an air of this at the club at that time - but that's no excuse. Sometimes his presence could really be felt at the centre of defence (nowhere near Jocky/Lawro/Hyppia/Carra levels of course). Other times I felt he went missing a bit.

I think he had more to give - he could have conditioned himself better, for example.

One thing I always respect him for...is unfurling Cantona's collar. That takes some bottle.

He was symptomatic of a malaise at the club where just being in the shake up was enough. There was a less than professional attitude that Houllier began to sort out.

It was also the time of the mancs best teams of the era and we were a good distance behind them,although we managed to avoid too many hidings in scorelines yet we were outclassed on a few occasions.

At least we are closer to United now but City and Chelsea are way ahead of both of us.