You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TK's Ratings - Newcastle United (away)

Pureblood

TK-Mast-Head.png

Okay campers, rise and shine.  And don't forget your booties 'cause it's cold out there today.  The Reds took a trip to the North East on Saturday, where we like to frolic in Jesmond Dene and celebrate with a cheese & onion toastie at the snooker club.  Ah, memories.

You know, it's hard to be too down on the players after this one.  They carried out their manager's perplexing instructions more or less to the best of their ability.  

Mignolet - 6.  Did well to keep the score down with some excellent saves.  Might have been punished in the first half when he was typically caught in no mans land (not to be confused with the 80s Charlie Sheen car theft romp of the same name).  With Lallana curiously left on the bench for the whole game the onus was on Mignolet to fulfill the Cruyff turn quota, which he did with aplomb.

Johnson - 5.  Played as an auxiliary third centre back when we had possession (which meant continually playing the ball square around the half way line), Johnson had an average game.  Did okay with his "is it a bird?" moment in the first half.  Got caught the wrong side a couple of times when Aarons was introduced, but then adapted.  I can't really blame him for having the shot which lead to the goal.  We had barely threatened their goal for the whole game, so he must have thought it was worth a dig, and he clearly had his manager's blessing to pile forward at this point.  Although it turned out to be a bad decision we still should have coped.  

Skrtel - 6. Ameobi and company caused him few problems.  His positional play was spot on.  He even had a chance to score a goal, a rare commodity in this team, but fluffed it wide.

Lovren - 5.  Some of his passing leaves a lot to be desired and the whole Alan Hansen defence into midfield thing isn't working for him.  But he's there to defend, and did it reasonably well.  He was probably glad to see the back of kick-and-rush merchant Obertan.

Moreno - 4.  One nice early cross was as good as it got.  Apart from that he was anonymous until his blunder gave the home side the decisive goal.  Is he more effective attacking from deep?  The formation employed by Rodgers seemed to negate his strengths.

Sterling - 5.  The same as Moreno without the crucial error.  Isolated on the right flank he posed no threat at all.  A couple of daisy-cutter crosses were his total output for the day.  It's not really his fault as he shouldn't be played in that position, except for in an emergency.

Gerrard - 6.  Started slowly, with a couple of early passes cut out easily, but got them out of his system and stroked it around (the ball) majestically at times.  Our most creative player on the day.

Henderson - 4.  Very quiet by his standards and dispossessed too easily.  Booked for some off the ball nonsense.  

Allen - 5.  I don't know if he's carrying a knock but like Henderson he had barely any influence on proceedings.  Didn't seem to know where his team-mates were.  Another player bamboozled by his own manager's approach.

Coutinho - 4.  He is prone to stinking the place out in away games.  Found it difficult to find space in a congested midfield and consequently saw little of the ball. 

Balotelli - 5.  Another static showing from him,  particularly in the first half.  Had a few nice touches after the break but sadly they were nowhere near the goal.  

Subs:-

Borini - 5.  Had a crack out goal and was promptly punished for his sins by being moved out wide.  

Lambert - 5.  

Manager:-

Rodgers - 3.  Too clever for his own good.  Whatever defensive solidity we gained had an equal and opposite reaction at the other end, as we managed no shots on target in the opening half.  Things didn't improve in the second half.  When Brendan decided to throw the dice for the win it backfired.  Virtually nothing went well for him in this match.

2014 © TK421 - All rights reserved. 

• Upvote 5

• 4 years later...

Anyway, there was a snag with the ratings last night.  I had to go out and missed the first half hour of the game.  When I got back I had a hard time getting a reliable stream, so only watched from about the 50th minute onward.  I did take some notes, but would need to watch the entire match again to do the ratings justice and I'm not sure I want to.  So I'm thinking of canceling them for last night and just doing the second leg instead.

• Downvote 4

3 hours ago, TK421 said:

Anyway, there was a snag with the ratings last night.  I had to go out and missed the first half hour of the game.  When I got back I had a hard time getting a reliable stream, so only watched from about the 50th minute onward.  I did take some notes, but would need to watch the entire match again to do the ratings justice and I'm not sure I want to.  So I'm thinking of canceling them for last night and just doing the second leg instead.

Negged.

8 hours ago, TK421 said:

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed 

• Like 1