You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

Great tune. And of course about Agent Orange. Quite a political band in most of their early stuff. Went downhill after New Adventures in HiFi IMO

That was their first album that I genuinely didn't like at the time. I've revisited it since and its not so bad. I thought Up was a bit weak with the exception of Lotus and Daysleeper. Heard the odd track that I liked after that (Reno and Imitation of Life spring to mind) but haven't listened to whole albums since Up.

Great tune. And of course about Agent Orange. Quite a political band in most of their early stuff. Went downhill after New Adventures in HiFi IMO

Really? never knew that. Makes sense with lyrics like "we are agents of the free". That's given me a new perspective on the song. On the subject of bands from Athens Georgia, the Flat Duo Jets come to mind.

Fantastic two piece band 15 years before the White Stripes.

Was watching The Stones "rock and roll circus" the other day and saw this cracking perfomance by The Who which the Stones thought was so good they didn't release the film for many a year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0JHM0Q8JKQ

And then this one which even though I can't stand Elton John is one of my favourite videos from the film Tommy...brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DthtDjhqVOU

Just seen an advert "British supergroup - McBusted" fuck me if they can't be done on the trades description act for that, the music world really is fucked.

Fuck you Cowell, Walsh, and SAW you cunts have killed a fucking art form, and all the wankers who buy or watch their shite have been complicit.

Supergroup used to mean stuff like this.

Now it means

Kind of like the way people refer to Britney Spears and Rihanna as rock stars. Rock stars should look like re animated corpses from all the drugs they've taken and play real music with their hands, not computer 10001011011 morse code. Puppets, throw them in the fire.

The 13th Floor Elevators are reforming for a one off gig in Austin, Texas this summer at the Levitation festival. It is 45 years since they played together. It already has the likes of Spiritualized, Jesus & Mary Chain and Thee Oh Sees playing.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2015-02-12/13th-floor-elevators-to-reunite-at-levitation-festival/

• Upvote 2

The 13th Floor Elevators are reforming for a one off gig in Austin, Texas this summer at the Levitation festival. It is 45 years since they played together. It already has the likes of Spiritualized, Jesus & Mary Chain and Thee Oh Sees playing. http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2015-02-12/13th-floor-elevators-to-reunite-at-levitation-festival/

Class.

Off to see The War On Drugs at the Academy tonight. Got Lost In The Dream blaring through my headphones and getting a semi at the thought of seeing them later.

It's been a long time coming round, after they jibbed the November date to appear on Jools Holland. I really saw my arse at that one!

In no sense am I fan of his and I've never listened to his show, but I think it's a bit shit that the BBC are losing Zane Lowe to the forthcoming Apple Radio. He's a serious music head and there aren't enough of them around with his stature.

How good is it when you find an old CD you hardly listened to when you bought it & it turns out it's brilliant?

I dug out the Trio of Doom (John Mclaughlin, Tony Williams & Jaco Pastorius) CD, which has them playing live in '79 & a couple of studio tracks they recorded & it's fucking magic.

• Upvote 1