You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

When are people going to grasp the concept that the player has to want to come here before the club can sign them?

And if the players only want to come here because we'll pay stupidly high wages, more than another club is willing to pay then Im not sure I want this type of player here. Arent they the ones we say they arent going to battle for you on a wet, cold windy night at southamption, swansea, west brom et al?

All those man city and chelsea players must hate their medal collections.

I am so glad we spent mega fees on markovic and lovren to bottle it against West ham, Hull, villa et al

• Upvote 1

It worries me that I actively dread our transfer activity.

Look what I found:

These transfer thread always go the same way, they're kind of quaint in a sense. They usually start with a player being mooted, reaction is often negative if they're British and the money involved is stupid (a la Crouch and more recently Carroll), then as pages drift by and it looks like we're going to get the player whether we like it or not, we almost start talking ourselves around to the idea.

A 'no way' becomes 'he's not that bad' until eventually he's a signing of potential huge significance and maybe, just maybe, all this time we just weren't aware of just how boss he really was. At this point we usually slag of Rashid or Red Nick for not wanting said player and decide that this is becuase they're somehow shallow and that their understanding of the game only extends to Pannini stickers.

What tends to happen then is that said player - who we always knew was overpriced and limited - turns out to be overpriced and limited. It's usually exposed in a big match and we're left feeling blue. We've come full circle, it's time for a cull, no more half measures, we all hate football, and all the while we lament the fact the mancs have just spent £6m on a 17-year-old Guatemalan shitbag who's tearing up more wings than that monster from the William Shatner episode of The Twilight Zone.

We quite simply need to start aiming higher. We need either top class players for top dollar, or exciting prospects. Lads who can 'do a job' can not have a place in our football vocabulary anymore or, quite simply, we don't deserve to even be called top four.

• Upvote 2

Stupidly high wages? What 200? How much did we pay illori, alberto and Aspas a week? If we had coughed i see no reason why we couldnt have signed costa or fabregas. We spend plenty just very very badly

Only an utterly deluded headcase would genuinely see no reason why a player would choose chelsea and mourinho over liverpool and rodgers.

Kev D and Sex31 just nailed this thread to the transfer committee's (rip) bollocks. 

We've wasted the kind of resources that would easily take you to the moon. But we keep on with this same policy of kakhandedness. Buying 4 shit cars because you're too scared to go for it because you might crash the Lambo. You don't set a standard by buying mediocre. You buy the best and give them all the tools they need for the job, and stand back and watch them shine or go out in a blaze of Heskey. This is like F1. You can't have a shit engine. It just doesn't work you fucks. 

What FSG should do is hold a focus group and Poll amongst some knowledgeable supporters as to who we should potentially buy. Then take that 'data' to the next lot of transfer twats and tell them who to sign. Couldn't possibly be worse than what we are currently doing. 

• Upvote 1

It's like every summer, we go off into the forest full of joy and expectation, we find the biggest and broadest tree out of the whole lot, expend all our energy and resources to chop it down and make the biggest club we can out of it, then we shape it up really good and smooth it right out, and then spend the next 9 months thwacking ourselves in the bollocks with it as hard as we possibly can over and over and over, with occasional respite coming once every 5 years or so. Welcome to the world of supporting LFC. 

Rumours we're in for the supposedly 26-year old Doumbia for £15 million.  

I don't think that would be the worst idea in the world, but if we're going to give CSKA that kind of money, it should be for Akinfeev.  One of the best goalkeepers in the world and I can't understand how he's stayed in Russia his whole career.  Just 28, too, coming into his GK prime.

And what about challenging Dortmund for the Croatian Kramaric?  Never seen him play but with 21 goals in his first 14 league games this season and 6 in 10 in the Europa League he can't be too bad and he's available for £3 million due to a contract issue.  Scored 5 yesterday.  Again, never seen him play apart from youtube but I hope we've at least scouted him, as that kind of bargain could be just what we need to back up Sturridge up front.

• Upvote 2

They are all valid and well reasoned points NMI, but for those very reasons, I more lean to us going for Bony, and starting negotiations at 23.5mil.

Well he fits the brief.

And when I say brief, i mean he's been on sky sports as opposed to BT because everyone knows our scouts weren't allowed to buy the BT sports TV package.

Pfft European football. It's just all tippy Tappy bullshit :o

Rumours we're in for the supposedly 26-year old Doumbia for £15 million.  

I don't think that would be the worst idea in the world, but if we're going to give CSKA that kind of money, it should be for Akinfeev.

Do they have a defensive midfielder? I say we sign him, whoever the fuck he may be...

Rumours we're in for the supposedly 26-year old Doumbia for £15 million.

I don't think that would be the worst idea in the world, but if we're going to give CSKA that kind of money, it should be for Akinfeev. One of the best goalkeepers in the world and I can't understand how he's stayed in Russia his whole career. Just 28, too, coming into his GK prime.

And what about challenging Dortmund for the Croatian Kramaric? Never seen him play but with 21 goals in his first 14 league games this season and 6 in 10 in the Europa League he can't be too bad and he's available for £3 million due to a contract issue. Scored 5 yesterday. Again, never seen him play apart from youtube but I hope we've at least scouted him, as that kind of bargain could be just what we need to back up Sturridge up front.

I have been singing the praises of Kramaric for oooh weeks now. Never heard of him before he scored a hattrick against Feyenoord while looking fairly boss. He is now on about 29 goals so far this season alone.

I saw his release clause at an even lower 2 million euro. It is no risk at all at that price.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that would be the worst idea in the world, but if we're going to give CSKA that kind of money, it should be for Akinfeev.  One of the best goalkeepers in the world and I can't understand how he's stayed in Russia his whole career.  Just 28, too, coming into his GK prime.

I saw enough of him during the World Cup to know he's worse than Mignolet.  No thanks.

We should have got Begovic first time round

It was a weird one as he looked nailed on at the time and stoke even brought in butland. We then got mig who while looking decent at Sunderland hardly pulled up any trees in my book.

I for know anything about this kramaric but if he is on 21 goals already then it's seriously worth asking about.