You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Middle East Thread

Red Phoenix

I think everyone here is opposed to bombing Syria for no good reason.

However some of us are open to the idea of a measured military response against Isis as part of a legal international effort.

But the vote last night wasn't for any "measured military response" - it was, pretty much, for lobbing British bombs on top of US, French, Russian and Australian bombs and hoping that this would somehow magic ISIS away.

You'd have to be one of life's eternal optimists to think that bombing a terrorist group/ideological enemy will work this time.

It took 10 years to look back and see the disaster that was caused by bombing Iraq.  I wonder how long this regret will take to hit home.

Do you step back and do nothing?  No.

Do you bomb people into submission?  No.

"But there is simply NOTHING in-between...."

Maybe because as you say for 10 years you were not actually bombing the ideological enemy, but you were busy destroying Iraq with a scope to resettle corporate agreements for the region's oil reserves, paving the way for the domination of your ideological enemy.

You are not targeting Syria or Iraq this time. Your allies (Turkey and Saudi Arabia) and their puppet Islamic State have destroyed Iraq and Syria.

But go on, moan. But be at least accurate, in stead of shouting "Don't bomb Syria", shout/retweet "Don't bomb Islamic State".

You'd have to be one of life's eternal optimists to think that bombing a terrorist group/ideological enemy will work this time.

It took 10 years to look back and see the disaster that was caused by bombing Iraq.  I wonder how long this regret will take to hit home.

Do you step back and do nothing?  No.

Do you bomb people into submission?  No.

"But there is simply NOTHING in-between...."

I assume the logic follows this pattern: 

Bellend #1: "Those Paris shootings were pretty bad, eh?"

Bellend #2: "Yeah, capital too - imagine if that was London?" 

Bellend #1: "Christ. We need to sort this out." 

Bellend #1 to Cunt Media: "We need to go to war with ISIS." 

Population: "What? Do you even remember what happened last time?" 

Bellend #1: "Mate, they're banging on about the last time we dropped the bomb(s)." 

Bellend #2: "Yeah, we fucked up there. On the bright side though, we're still alive so it's not all bad, right?" 

Bellend #1: "True, true. It took us 10 years to realise we messed up and by that time, they'll be another group of cunts we can bomb." 

Bellend #2: "Plus we get a free trip to Paris!" 

Bellend #1: "First. Fucking. Class." 

Population: "This is fucking idiotic - I can't believe these cunts are in charge." 

Cunt % of population: "These fucking muslim cunts fucking killing innocent people. I hope we bomb the shit out of them." 

Population: "Errr....." 

Bellend #1: "I can't believe they're eating this shit. Fucking hell, I could say we're going to bomb [Middle East Region] and they'd still be game for it the thick shitcunts." 

Bellend #2: "And the icing on the cake is most will be for our decision; the rest will moan, write some wordy blog posts about what we haven't learnt but eventually, they'll be dragged along with it all. Every cunt in the country is our bitch and we only need the idiots who don't read anything other than our media outlet to vote to keep this heaven ticking." 

Bellend #1: "A-fucking-men." 

Population: "I'm going to fucking tweet about this shit." 

Syria civilians: "Well, that's good news - at least if I don't get killed this fucking hell, the UK/US/France/Russia will make sure I do."

[Rinse and repeat]

• Upvote 2

I think everyone here is opposed to bombing Syria for no good reason.

However some of us are open to the idea of a measured military response against Isis as part of a legal international effort.

And that is what you go to before you tell your NATO ally to stop funding ISIS and protecting its supply lines?

To maybe use diplomacy and political pressure before you go putting more innocent lives into the mixer and also doing exactly what a flagging IS want you too in order to breathe life into their recruitments and legitimacy.

Or is that also just "the real world" that is fixed and as such not up for debate.

Just to point out: there are nations that don't sell arms to Saudi Arabia that still run motor vehicles. Huge seams of unicorn farts being found apparently.

I don't really understand the logic.

http://www.truth-out.org/progressivepicks/item/33180-wikileaks-reveals-how-the-us-aggressively-pursued-regime-change-in-syria-igniting-a-bloodbath

We actively encouraged the Islamist rebels to destabilize Assad, and now we're gonna come in and bomb the fuck out of the Islamist rebels? How does that make sense? You'd almost feel sorry for them if they weren't such cunts.

It's certainly the perfect solution for folk who don't live in the real world.

Probably also best not to mention their visceral opposition to the party that has done more for renewable energy in this country than any other.

Meh, the vikings used more renewables off the top of my head and done much more for this country.. pollution levels are off the scale due to your party doing nothing about car emissions, which didnt trouble the vikings.

Guest Pistonbroke

I have images of Cameron in his bedroom with Airfix planes planning the attacks whilst sticking his cock in a dead pigs mouth and gyrating his hips to "I'm the man." 

The crap which is going to come out of his pompous mouth over the next few months is going to be unbearable. Hopefully before IS are wiped out they'll assassinate the cunt and hopefully take IDS, Osbourne and Boris with him. 

So Cameron's big plan relies on two things (not the bombing because 8 aircraft will have fuck all impact on ISIS):

1. Assad coming to the table and agreeing to step down quickly (unlikely now he's backed by Russia);

2. An army consisting of several Rebel groups (who may or may not be moderate), who are fractured (and may or may not work together with each other and the Syrian army), and are of a substantial number (there may or may not be 70,000 of them).

Meanwhile Turkey, the Saudis, Jordan and Qatar will continue to play both sides with barely a mention.

Hmmmmmm.

Again, I don't think I said that. My main issue is that I do not believe there is any strategy behind this, a genuine desire (with plans to prove it) to start and complete a process which significantly minimises the influence and power of Islamic State. And of equal importance a lack of desire to help Syria (and Iraq) in the aftermath. 

My view as well

• Upvote 1