You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

We'll have to agree to disagree Grinch.

Quite impressed with your hatred for him to be fair, it makes John B's opinions on Klopp look like a love-in.

I am starting to hate him and Lovren. Losing track of how many years I've watched them be utter shit week in week out will do that I guess.

He flapped at the first and the weak wrists which parried the ball into the danger zone was nowhere near good enough,let alone giving the penalty away either. He had a shocker and has been regularly since we signed him. I cant write Karius off yet as Ive seen him play well in Germany. Ward deserves consideration too.

He flapped at the first and the weak wrists which parried the ball into the danger zone was nowhere near good enough,let alone giving the penalty away either. He had a shocker and has been regularly since we signed him. I cant write Karius off yet as Ive seen him play well in Germany. Ward deserves consideration too.

It's strange that Karius is wrote off after a handful of games, admittedly dodgy in numerous ones but nowhere near that bloody horror show we witnessed tonight. Something that's been a regular thing for three-four years?
  • Upvote 1

Cech is well past his prime, I seem to remember us putting 4 past him recently. Courtois stepped aside for a headed goal and fumbled another couple last season but was carried by the rest of the team. Lloris fumbled a shot by pedro straight at him after spurs had just equalised and they lost 2-1 against chelsea at wembley this season. Butland at stoke conceeded a shot into the ground for the first goal against chelsea after 85 seconds today

People conveniently ignore or didnt see these mistakes by other 'better' keepers. mignolet is not fautless but every mistake he makes is massively blown up while those of his contemporaries are ignored.

• Upvote 1

I agree in that I don't think he is as good as those 3 , but I think he suffers as we see every second of his performances but only tend to see highlights of the others.

For instance I have only seen one of Chelsea's games this season ( Burnley ) & Courtois was at clear fault for 2 of the goals & the first goal particularly would have seen Mignolet lynched on here. Everybody rates Lloris as brilliant but he hardly has a shot to save but manages to find howlers in most games.

All keepers can have bad games, but it's a rarity when you see them make 1 mistake per game compared to our 2 who make 1 every half.

I agree with you on Lloris though. I've only ever seen him really rated by our fans, yet when I see him play I always feel there's a chance with him. He is heavily protected to be fair by that defence and midfield, but even he doesnt seem to create as much fear for them compared to multiple migs

• Upvote 1

Cech is well past his prime, I seem to remember us putting 4 past him recently. Courtois stepped aside for a headed goal and fumbled another couple last season but was carried by the rest of the team. Lloris fumbled a shot by pedro straight at him after spurs had just equalised and they lost 2-1 against chelsea at wembley this season. Butland at stoke conceeded a shot into the ground for the first goal against chelsea after 85 seconds today

People conveniently ignore or didnt see these mistakes by other 'better' keepers. mignolet is not fautless but every mistake he makes to massively blown up while those of his contemporaries are ignored.

Yeah, but people conveniently ignore that these are isolated incidents compared to every game occurrences for us

Sorry Grinch, in what way was it a ' horror show ' .

He was undoubtedly at fault for the penalty ( but redeemed himself with the save ) and also let Vardy block a clearance by being too sluggish , but I think he was blatantly fouled for the first goal ( and made a good save from the original free kick ), did well with the first save for the second goal and made some really good claims on crosses when the pressure came on second half. 

I was reading tonight's comments on this thread and wondering if I had been watching the same game, so was pleased to see Paul's comments on the ' A few thoughts ' thread.

Might be a bit harsh here but I thought he should have caught that ball he parried onto vardy's head for their 2nd goal tonight. I'd rather we conceded a penalty than a corner or a free kick from the flanks with him playing.

Anyway, id get shut of him (and karius) in a heart beat and try and develop ward into a big tough bullying keeper who catches the ball or if he isn't up to it, buy one

The first thing you learn as a goal keeper is to never push the ball out in front of the goal, always out to the sides. The second goal is something a 12 year old should be watching to see what happens when you don't do the basics.

• Upvote 1

The first thing you learn as a goal keeper is to never push the ball out in front of the goal, always out to the sides. The second goal is something a 12 year old should be watching to see what happens when you don't do the basics.

That's great if you have the time to make a choice DJLJ but if it is blasted at you from 10 yards away you can only react as best as you can. He was hardly standing there waiting for it pondering where to push it to was he ?

• Upvote 2

Yeah, but people conveniently ignore that these are isolated incidents compared to every game occurrences for us

But that's just it, they are not isolated! Most people see every mistake mignolet makes but dont with others because they dont watch spurs, chelsea or arsenal as much. Lloris makes far more mistakes both for spurs and france yet he's rated a better keeper.

I havent commented specifically on de gea because I generally make a point of not watching manchester united.

But that's just it, they are not isolated! Most people see every mistake mignolet makes but dont with others because they dont watch spurs, chelsea or arsenal as much. Lloris makes far more mistakes both for spurs and france yet he's rated a better keeper.

I havent commented specifically on de gea because I generally make a point of not watching manchester united.

I was arguing with a Chelsea fan about Cech a few years ago, telling him that Cech was vastly overrated as you never seen him doing anything thanks to terry and carvalho. His reply stuck with me when he replied that the reason you don't see him, is because does everything right first time so there's nothing to pick over.

When was the last time you thought 'whats he doing' whenever the ball goes near Migs..

I was arguing with a Chelsea fan about Cech a few years ago, telling him that Cech was vastly overrated as you never seen him doing anything thanks to terry and carvalho. His reply stuck with me when he replied that the reason you don't see him, is because does everything right first time so there's nothing to pick over.

When was the last time you thought 'whats he doing' whenever the ball goes near Migs..

Like I said, cech's prime is in the past, mignolet makes mistakes. So too does Lloris, Courtois, Butland and most other keepers. Myself, Id have splurged the cash on Donnarumma at Milan but he's shite too according to the informed on here.

That's great if you have the time to make a choice DJLJ but if it is blasted at you from 10 yards away you can only react as best as you can. He was hardly standing there waiting for it pondering where to push it to was he ?

I don't think he is very good at the basics sir roger and I believe this is one of the reasons why he isn't good enough. He makes too many basic mistakes.

Lets look at Kasper Smeichel in this game, he let 3 goals in. Just for comparison. Do I think it was a mistake that he let the Coutinho goal in? No I don't, sometimes you have to hold your hand and say it was a good goal. Do I think he was at fault for the Salah goal, I think he was partly to blame, someone shouldn't be allowed to score from there, but I think he got surprised that Salah actually was able to get the header on target. Do I think he could have done anything for the goal from Henderson? Not really. 

Now lets go back to the Mignolet in this game. Do I think he didn't do the basics for the second goal? Yes I think he should have done better and not pushed it into the front of the goal. For the penalty, do I think he didn't do the basics, yes I do. A goal keeper should be using his hands in this situation, but he decides to try a tackle or whatever it was he was trying. The Vardy chance after 5 mins, same thing, he doesn't push it back out wide but it drops in the 6 yard box, for the first goal, it is the same thing we see time and time again from him and he doesn't learn. He made a great save from Vardy's header and his first thought is he is Superman and tries to punch it and gets fouled doing it but still ends up in no mans land. 

And lets not even start on the one where he once again decides to take ages on the ball before trying to launch it up midfield and it gets taken off him and could easily again have been a goal.

No I don't think he is a good keeper and I believe the reason for it is because he does most of the fundamental things wrong, like I mentioned in my post, he shouldn't have pushed it in front of goal.

• Upvote 1

I don't think he is very good at the basics sir roger and I believe this is one of the reasons why he isn't good enough. He makes too many basic mistakes.

Lets look at Kasper Smeichel in this game, he let 3 goals in. Just for comparison. Do I think it was a mistake that he let the Coutinho goal in? No I don't, sometimes you have to hold your hand and say it was a good goal. Do I think he was at fault for the Salah goal, I think he was partly to blame, someone shouldn't be allowed to score from there, but I think he got surprised that Salah actually was able to get the header on target. Do I think he could have done anything for the goal from Henderson? Not really. 

Now lets go back to the Mignolet in this game. Do I think he didn't do the basics for the second goal? Yes I think he should have done better and not pushed it into the front of the goal. For the penalty, do I think he didn't do the basics, yes I do. A goal keeper should be using his hands in this situation, but he decides to try a tackle or whatever it was he was trying. The Vardy chance after 5 mins, same thing, he doesn't push it back out wide but it drops in the 6 yard box, for the first goal, it is the same thing we see time and time again from him and he doesn't learn. He made a great save from Vardy's header and his first thought is he is Superman and tries to punch it and gets fouled doing it but still ends up in no mans land. 

And lets not even start on the one where he once again decides to take ages on the ball before trying to launch it up midfield and it gets taken off him and could easily again have been a goal.

No I don't think he is a good keeper and I believe the reason for it is because he does most of the fundamental things wrong, like I mentioned in my post, he shouldn't have pushed it in front of goal.

Sorry mate but have you see some of scmichel's gaffs? He dives like a pancake at times, fucking flat. His arl fella was a great keeper, much as I hate to say it but his offspring based on the game tonight? Nah, not having it.

Fouled for the first, was unlucky with the rebound on the second going to an unmarked forward, and won the ball for the penalty, which he saved anyway (and it shouldn't even have got that far because Salah was fouled in the build-up).

Verdict: agenda time again

Three goalkeeping errors that a Sunday league keeper wouldn't be happy with but carry on making excuses for him.

• Upvote 2

Fouled for the first, was unlucky with the rebound on the second going to an unmarked forward, and won the ball for the penalty, which he saved anyway (and it shouldn't even have got that far because Salah was fouled in the build-up).

Verdict: agenda time again

How is Salah being fouled relevant to Mignolet's complete missing of a cross,or having spongey wrists from a shot for the second? You do have a point regarding the refereeing again though,absolute dogshit for the umpteenth time this season. Mike Riley is to the head of referees what Harold Shipman was to the pensioners 'Right to life' campaign.

• Upvote 1

I'm just asking you to point out where the player is making an error in being dragged back by an opponent. If it's that obvious it shouldn't be hard to spot.

I’m pretty sure Grinch is a big fan of Karius, hence you often see him being real overly critical of Mignolet.