You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Would you take Mascherano back?

tlw content

It was nothing like that at all

Mascherano was close to playing until two French fellows dug a tunnell thats exist was in the players bath at Cities stadium. The plan was for the whole team to escape until Pepe realised he was too big to get through the whole and said he was going back to play the second half. Mascherano was the only one to survive the massacre that followed.

Typical clueless Sky generation.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's almost too perfect.

* Harmonises *

The fans sing the 'return of the masch' part, and Masch himself sings the bits in in between.

Perfect.

• Upvote 1

The fans sing the 'return of the masch' part, and Masch himself sings the bits in in between.

Perfect.

Ace.

Seem to recall Loaded relentlessly took the piss out of Morrison all through the 90's.

There was always a ubiquitous account of him for example handing his jacket in at a nightclub cloakroom and it getting pinched, leading to him campaigning unsuccessfully for "Return of the Mac."

He also did a personal appearance in my hometown nightclub and fights broke out with his entourage due to the amount of shit he was taking off people.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Ace.

Seem to recall Loaded relentlessly took the piss out of Morrison all through the 90's.

There was always a ubiquitous account of him for example handing his jacket in at a nightclub cloakroom and it getting pinched, leading to him campaigning unsuccessfully for "Return of the Mac."

He also did a personal appearance in my hometown nightclub and fights broke out with his entourage due to the amount of shit he was taking off people.

Loaded the lads mag? Fucking hell, I remember getting that back in the 90s along with FHM. It was utter dross really.

Loaded the lads mag? Fucking hell, I remember getting that back in the 90s along with FHM. It was utter dross really.

It was indeed. "Made for wankers, by wankers, about wanking", as someone in the trade once described it to me.

I don't have an issue with his "refusal to play". He did not refuse and he was not nearly as a cunt as Torres. He actually dedicated his performance and victory in the CL final (Barca vs shite) to the Liverpool fans. I like him.

Nonetheless, if you try and see it objectively with a head as cool as a freezer, he did not offer much on the creative side. He was just a defender on a free role. In his first one and a half seasons he was defending really well and helped us to get to a CL final, but then he was not really offering much on the pitch. Kind of pointless. He was not commanding the midfield as he should. When Alonso departed, him alongside Lucas was the worst midfield I have seen for us, much worse than Charlie Adam-Meirelis.

I would take Alonso back, but Mascherano, I don't know. Having said that, we DO NEED a player in the midfield who can defend and run. So, It's up to the manager and I don't underestimate Rodgers' ability to improve (already good) players. So he might be able to help Mascherano to reinvent himself.

I don't have an issue with his "refusal to play". He did not refuse and he was not nearly as a cunt as Torres. He actually dedicated his performance and victory in the CL final (Barca vs shite) to the Liverpool fans. I like him.

Nonetheless, if you try and see it objectively with a head as cool as a freezer, he did not offer much on the creative side. He was just a defender on a free role. In his first one and a half seasons he was defending really well and helped us to get to a CL final, but then he was not really offering much on the pitch. Kind of pointless. He was not commanding the midfield as he should. When Alonso departed, him alongside Lucas was the worst midfield I have seen for us, much worse than Charlie Adam-Meirelis.

I would take Alonso back, but Mascherano, I don't know. Having said that, we DO NEED a player in the midfield who can defend and run. So, It's up to the manager and I don't underestimate Rodgers' ability to improve (already good) players. So he might be able to help Mascherano to reinvent himself.

Barcelona played Everton?

Not saying anything to counter that, mate. Just that quality can be had for that money. You said that 10m doesn't buy quality anymore. I just think it does. Even splashing out doesn't seem to cut the risk of getting a dud by much. Just need to do the due diligence properly. That's the best way of cutting risk.

There are bargains to be had, for sure, but selling clubs see the likes of Lescott and Fellaini going for over 25 million and are wondering why they should sell better players for less money.

In general, 10 million gets you potential these days. I don't think big clubs can sign the better players from not so big clubs for such a small fee these days. When you're buying from other big clubs like Barcelona, then the story changes a little.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It was indeed. "Made for wankers, by wankers, about wanking", as someone in the trade once described it to me.

I did do a lot of wanking in the 90s, it must be said.

I did do a lot of wanking in the 90s, it must be said.

I'm certainly grateful for Dave providing me with a Braille skin for the site. Even if the callouses on my fingers can make me a bit cumbersome*.

* Intentional shit pun.

I wouldn't take him back. I've nothing against the player, but I'd like to move on to something new. Brendan is building something special here, and there's a sense that a move for Mascherano would be going back.

If we're raiding the Barcelona fringe midfielder market, then Song would be preferred. And if we're moving higher up the Barcelona midfielder food chain, Fabregas would be preferred over Song. 

Nonetheless, if you try and see it objectively with a head as cool as a freezer, he did not offer much on the creative side. He was just a defender on a free role. In his first one and a half seasons he was defending really well and helped us to get to a CL final, but then he was not really offering much on the pitch. Kind of pointless. He was not commanding the midfield as he should. When Alonso departed, him alongside Lucas was the worst midfield I have seen for us, much worse than Charlie Adam-Meirelis.

I would take Alonso back, but Mascherano, I don't know. Having said that, we DO NEED a player in the midfield who can defend and run. So, It's up to the manager and I don't underestimate Rodgers' ability to improve (already good) players. So he might be able to help Mascherano to reinvent himself.

I think he's now too old to play the Rodgers way.

Lucas is proving that.

No need for him to come back.

We need someone with the qualities that he has/had, but they need to be 6/7 years younger.

Rodgers wants high tempo pressing.

You can see what that style has done to an, albeit small, squad this season.

Even without CL football, they were fucked by the end.

A bigger squad would help with that, but i would pass on this one.

I suppose if Rodgers was looking at a bench player to stabilise things when 2/3 up, then maybe it could work, but he wouldn't be a starter for me now.

Not with Brendans style.

I wouldn't take him back. I've nothing against the player, but I'd like to move on to something new. Brendan is building something special here, and there's a sense that a move for Mascherano would be going back.

If we're raiding the Barcelona fringe midfielder market, then Song would be preferred. And if we're moving higher up the Barcelona midfielder food chain, Fabregas would be preferred over Song.

Agreed. Things have moved on.

Start of the season i would have said bring him back for sure.

But we are now clearly on anew path, and grey hair aside, its been great.

For me he played his best football for us next to Alonso. When Alonso left his play deteriorated. He was relied upon to provide more creativity, when next to Alonso, he could concentrate more on the defensive work he was so good at. He's also not as mobile as he used to be. He'd basically be Lucas with more bite. That's assuming he's used in midfield. We need better.

Give me Alonso though anyday. He could play until he's 40. Doesn't need pace, just intelligent positioning, and immaculate technical and passing skills. Genuinely would love for him to return to the club.