You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

These Hipster Beards

Section_31

I think Soundgarden have a couple of brilliant albums (Badmotorfinger & Superunknown), but I have never thought Chris Cornell was even remotely cool.

He looks like he's got fake tan on, has a goatee beard, sings out of tune a lot & his solo stuff is total gash.

I think Soundgarden have a couple of brilliant albums (Badmotorfinger & Superunknown), but I have never thought Chris Cornell was even remotely cool.

He looks like he's got fake tan on, has a goatee beard, sings out of tune a lot & his solo stuff is total gash.

Reverse that fucking horse, cowboy!

Euphoria Morning is a fantastic album, a little dated now, but still stands up.

Edumacate yo self.

I wasn't sure who you meant and so I Googled him. Cool is clearly subjective but effortless? That facial hair he has must require daily tweaking to maintain.

Seriously? Beards don't take that much effort to maintain.

I can't help the rest of them, but the singing out of tune thing is a bit spurious.

I can't help the rest of them, but the singing out of tune thing is a bit spurious.

I remember watching a whole Audioslave gig on VH1 or something a few years back & he was unbelievably out of tune on all the heavier bits, I was quite shocked actually because I thought he was a really good singer up until that point.

I thought it might've just been his monitors but I've seen similar instances since.

I remember watching a whole Audioslave gig on VH1 or something a few years back & he was unbelievably out of tune on all the heavier bits, I was quite shocked actually because I thought he was a really good singer up until that point.

I thought it might've just been his monitors but I've seen similar instances since.

Strange, when I've seen him he's been sounding pretty good. Its not beyond the realms of belief that you've seen some bad shows.

Granted thats acoustic, but the guy can sing, no doubts.

• Upvote 1

There never really was a "grunge period", just a bunch of bands who sounded broadly similar and shared the same kind of outlook/punk rock ethos. Someone used the word "grunge" once to describe it and after that any band from Seattle or connected with the bands/sound from that area was called "grunge".  Beat Happening sound nothing like The Supersuckers who in turn sound nothing like Alice in Chains, but back then - and even now - all three bands would have been referred to by journalists as "grunge" purely because of the Seattle connection (Supersuckers were actually from California but moved to Seattle).

It must be hard to sing those old songs though, his vocal register back in the day was fucking ridiculous. In my opinion his best vocal work was done on the Temple of the Dog record. The ending to Say Hello to Heaven is something else. 

• Upvote 1

He looks like he's got fake tan on, has a goatee beard, sings out of tune a lot & his solo stuff is total gash.

Right, fuck this. I've let your music slagging off go on for far too long.

YOU'RE FUCKING WRONG MOOK.

FUCKING WRONG!

Not as wrong as Stig, mind.

• Upvote 2

There never really was a "grunge period", just a bunch of bands who sounded broadly similar and shared the same kind of outlook/punk rock ethos. Someone used the word "grunge" once to describe it and after that any band from Seattle or connected with the bands/sound from that area was called "grunge".  Beat Happening sound nothing like The Supersuckers who in turn sound nothing like Alice in Chains, but back then - and even now - all three bands would have been referred to by journalists as "grunge" purely because of the Seattle connection (Supersuckers were actually from California but moved to Seattle).

Yeah, grunge was more of a movement than a style of music.

Disagree that there wasn't a grunge period though. It had its hayday between the release of Nevermind and was tailing off by the time Cobain topped himself. Say late 91 to mid-late 94.