You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

These Hipster Beards

Section_31

In the mid 90s I was working in Portsmouth.  At lunchtime, mooching around the shops, you'd often see a middle-aged woman, very well dressed, often in a fur coat, with a full and extremely hirsute beard, tottering about.  It was actually quite disturbing at first.  

Before you asked her for a date? Is this her?

beards.jpg

In the mid 90s I was working in Portsmouth.  At lunchtime, mooching around the shops, you'd often see a middle-aged woman, very well dressed, often in a fur coat, with a full and extremely hirsute beard, tottering about.  It was actually quite disturbing at first.

I had a similar reaction to a woman I knew through work who dressed in a kd laing style. I hadnt seen her for a while and then spotted her in town with very neatly trimmed facial hair. I'm rarely bothered by people's dress but my brain couldnt seem to compute her moustache

I've seen those weird haircuts on some of the lizards in the gym recently. It's an insult to any man that has real long hair and can tie it up like a Samurai warrior or Conte from Gomorra. I tie my hair back when I'm running, hope they feel like right cunts when they see my magnificent mane giving it in the full Conte.

• Upvote 2

Regardless of how daft a look may or may not be, I find the idea of wanting to look like lots of other people in the first place baffling. You come out of Camp and Furness after a long shift behind the bar, afix the clothes peg to your head, comb your beard and then meet up with your Airfix kit mates with their clothes peg heads, pointy beards and shit tats. Then you all go to Leaf and enjoy a winter fruits Swedish cider for 8 grand, pulled by a chap with a clothes peg in his head and a shit beard. Nice tats you think to yourself, Green Day lyrics unless you're very much mistaken. Ah, but where are my female friends?

• Upvote 3

Regardless of how daft a look may or may not be, I find the idea of wanting to look like lots of other people in the first place baffling. You come out of Camp and Furness after a long shift behind the bar, afix the clothes peg to your head, comb your beard and then meet up with your Airfix kit mates with their clothes peg heads, pointy beards and shit tats. Then you all go to Leaf and enjoy a winter fruits Swedish cider for 8 grand, pulled by a chap with a clothes peg in his head and a shit beard. Nice tats you think to yourself, Green Day lyrics unless you're very much mistaken. Ah, but where are my female friends?

'Twas ever thus.  Except for the alcopop cider.  

I agree with Major Tom that you should let other people wear what they want but anyone who wears a shirt buttoned to the top, outside of work should be thrown out of a moving skyscraper into a tank of killer sharks.

Shitehawks.

The whole thing is a disgrace, the top button of the shirt fastened, the ear-ring, the Guy Fawkes-esque 'tache, the "top knot".  

But most of all the ridiculous expression on his face.

About on a par with ridiculous pose of the clown in the picture on the mantlepiece