You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Season is now under way, what can we expect this season?

Code

Whoever the manager was I would think it would be a failure to not reach a domestic cup semi final in a season with no European football.

We reached two cup finals in Kenny's last season, I'll happily fail like that most seasons.

Nah, it's a deliberate selective use of words  in relation to managers you don't like.  

For example, let's assume for a moment that you had it in for Dalglish.  You would sum up his time here like this:-

1st Season

Europa League - fail

FA Cup vs Man U - fail

League - fail

2nd Season

FA Cup - fail

League cup - win (vs worst team ever to reach final)

League - fail

So in 6 competitions there were five failures and only one shite success against the worst team ever to reach a final of any cup in football history.[/code]

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Its failure to get knocked out by any team.

But obviously when people think not winning is winning who am I to argue.

I'm agreeing with code for the first time (fuck me).

There's no argument about it, a loss is a failure, even if we dominated the game with 99% possession, had 250 shots on target, but still lost 1-0. Reasons why we lost would be a target for improvement though. There's no way to argue to say that "we lost the tie but we succeeded in _______. "

That's just feeble optimism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sorry but I do not expect top 4. We have played nobody of note thus far.

Man Utd were awful at Anfield and are in transition. Every other team we have played in the league have been weak (Villa, Stoke, Sunderland, Palace, Southampton, and Swansea).

We lost at home to Soton and were lucky to scrape a draw at Swansea after a 2-0 lead.

Our start flatters us.

We have no strength in depth. And we have yet to play the big boys. The latter games will show how far behind in terms of quality we are.

League: 6th

Fa Cup: 4th round

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Man Utd were awful at Anfield and are in transition. Every other team we have played in the league have been weak (Villa, Stoke, Sunderland, Palace, Southampton, and Swansea).

We lost at home to Soton and were lucky to scrape a draw at Swansea after a 2-0 lead.

Our start flatters us.

We have no strength in depth. And we have yet to play the big boys. The latter games will show how far behind in terms of quality we are.

Were never two goals up on Swansea (Shelvey gave them the lead) but agree with the rest of that post.

In theory, we shouldnt be challenging for the title this season, based on our performances so far. However, if I'm not mistaken, after just few games, no team is unbeaten.

I'm reminded of how we somehow tripped and crawled our way to 2nd, under Benitez, because nobody else was taking the bull by the horns either, and, truth is, just a couple more points and we'd have been champions.

This season, its entirely not beyond the realms of the possible, that we might falter into the champions league, or even stumble to the title. Its going to be that wide open.

• Upvote 2

Our start flatters us.

Nobody of note? Im sorry but who do you expect us to be playing, Barcelona?

Villa away is a tough match. Stoke at home on the first day is a challenging match. Sunderland having just gotten a new manager is an easy banana skin (ask Man Utd). Man Utd is still a bloody tough match and it always will be. Southampton will be a top half of the table team, maybe even in outside contention for the EL - no cakewalk. Swansea away is a bloody hard game too. This is what the league is all about - playing "nobody of note" on a weekly basis. Its not games against the top four that matter but the games against every team below that. Swatting these teams aside without our best team or playing at our true capacity can only be good news.

(We were never 2-0 up at Swansea.)

We aren't even playing at full capacity, nor have we had a fully fit team all season, and yet we are where we are. With Coutinho, Agger and Johnson back our side looks bloody good - I agree we lack depth but I have a feeling we'll address that in January. I also think you severely underestimate just how good Luis Suarez is and what difference he'll make this season.

I reckon we're good value for top 4. Hopefully my optimism isn't foolish!

• Upvote 2

The notion that we have not played anyone good so therefore we'll get found out against the bigger teams is bollocks. It's poor results against the lower teams that has cost us in previous seasons. Under Rodgers since the turn of the year we are seemingly beating all the average and poor teams consistently, which has made me optimistic that we can realistically challenge for the top 4.

I'd hope for 3rd or above. I'd consider that an outstanding achievement.

I expect us to challenge for the top 4. If we aren't in with a shout come March i'll be disappointed.

5th would be pretty good because that means we will have finished above either Spurs, Arsenal or Man U. NONE of these teams we should expect to finish above.

6th would be acceptable because we would have finished higher than last season and finished above everyone that we should absolutely expect to finish above.

Our start flatters us.

I don't expect 4th either but we have not had it as easy as you made out and our problem for years has been not beating the small teams,We know the players will give there all for the big games but it has been encouraging how we have been showing good commitment in the smaller games.

We always kick on second half of season and if we get to Jan in a good position I think we can have a very good season.

This league is there for the taking. There is absolutely no reason why we can't be in the title race if we get the balance of our midfield right and just believe in ourselves.

I give us a 12% chance of mounting a serious and sustained title challenge this season.  Everything will have to slot into place; brilliance from Coutinho, solidity from Mignolet, a settled CB partnership, no antics from Suarez, no injury to Sturridge's hamstrings and positive contributions all round from the rest of the players.  It's a tall order but doable.  We've done if for 7 games, and if you take the back end of last season into account we've done if for longer, but I reckon everything has to fall into place.  Not being in Europe will help us. 

If we're in the top 4 at Xmas it gives Rodgers a great case to go to FSG for more cash for some January spending.  

I give us a 12% chance of mounting a serious and sustained title challenge this season.  Everything will have to slot into place; brilliance from Coutinho, solidity from Mignolet, a settled CB partnership, no antics from Suarez, no injury to Sturridge's hamstrings and positive contributions all round from the rest of the players.  It's a tall order but doable.  We've done if for 7 games, and if you take the back end of last season into account we've done if for longer, but I reckon everything has to fall into place.  Not being in Europe will help us. 

If we're in the top 4 at Xmas it gives Rodgers a great case to go to FSG for more cash for some January spending.  

I am pretty sure that we will be in the top 4 at Christmas. We still have Coutinho, Johnson and Allen to come back, and there is surely better to come from the likes of Aspas. Like I say, we've just got to believe in ourselves and keep improving all over the pitch. There is nothing to fear in this league. The current Man Utd side won it last season and look at them now. Belief, organisation and a good goalscorer (we have two) can take you a long way.

Belief, organisation and a good goalscorer (we have two) can take you a long way.

That's right, and I'd add to that a goalkeeper who can make critical stops when up against it. The part that worries me is organisation - we haven't looked very together in any second half so far. What gives me most hope is that we haven't played all too well yet haven't been so lucky either. We can only get better, and I think we will.

The competition is a fair bit stronger these days I reckon.

Nottingham Forest finished 3rd in 1995 after getting promoted the year before, for example.

Its definitely more than a fair bit stronger these days, but with the correct mental attitude and luck, our starting XI can beat every team that comes at us.

Its definitely more than a fair bit stronger these days, but with the correct mental attitude and luck, our starting XI can beat every team that comes at us.

Yeah, but players get injured, go off form, and teams can get unlucky.  We have very little depth, although we have coped ok without Suarez, Coutinho and Johnson so far, we definitely lost one game when they were out (Soton).

If we keep all our main players fit and firing, we don't get too much bad luck on decisions, with our strikers we've got a chance of causing a surprise and coming near the top of the league.  As TK said above, it's a slim chance though.  

• 6 months later...