You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vietnam & Cambodia

gazelle

How long you going for?

I'm not jealous by the way. Nah ah. Not me.

*jealous face*

2 months initially, just playing it by ear really..

Have been doing to the TEFL course and have a couple of friends teaching out there..

exciting times as i really dont have a plan..

Fucking ace places, was in Vietnam earlier in the year and Cambodia 18 months ago. Really loved the non-touristy bit of Vietnam near the Chinese border, well I loved it all really. If you are still there I may see you in Vietnam in October...

2 months initially' date=' just playing it by ear really..

Have been doing to the TEFL course and have a couple of friends teaching out there..

exciting times as i really dont have a plan..[/quote']

Ace. Any questions fire away.

I knew Remmie would be onto this thread too.

2 amazing countries, you'll love them. I didn't spend enough tie in Cambodia but did a lot of Vietnam, probably my favourite country that I've visited. Hanoi has to be one of my top cities that I've ever visited.

Cambodia is utterly amazing. Utterly. Beyond utterly. I loved every minute of the 3 weeks i spent there, except the killing fields, its a beautiful country with a brutal, cruel past. Embrace everything you do there. The food is the best in all of SE Asia in my opinion. Honestly - you might have got this already, but it is just a totally incredible country. I could not recommend going there any more. Anyone who quizzes me about my travels - i always tell them that Cambodia is the place you didn't expect to be so ace - it just completely blows you away. Mosquito's, as the whole of Asia will testify, are a fucking cunt. Get your jabs and spray before you sleep, and keep the mukky twats at bay.

Make sure you stay in Phnom Penn for a few days. Mega city.

Vietnam is less ace but still fucking immense.

Very, very jealous. Very.

Cambodia is utterly amazing. Utterly. Beyond utterly. I loved every minute of the 3 weeks i spent there' date=' except the killing fields, its a beautiful country with a brutal, cruel past. Embrace everything you do there. The food is the best in all of SE Asia in my opinion. Honestly - you might have got this already, but it is just a totally incredible country. I could not recommend going there any more. Anyone who quizzes me about my travels - i always tell them that Cambodia is the place you didn't expect to be so ace - it just completely blows you away. Mosquito's, as the whole of Asia will testify, are a fucking cunt. Get your jabs and spray before you sleep, and keep the mukky twats at bay.

Make sure you stay in Phnom Penn for a few days. Mega city.

Vietnam is less ace but still fucking immense.

Very, very jealous. Very.[/quote']

Can't add much more to this. Cambodia was my favourite place too, didn't spend enough time there but it does mean I can go back in the future and see more of the place.

Can't add much more to this. Cambodia was my favourite place too, didn't spend enough time there but it does mean I can go back in the future and see more of the place.

My concern here about these sorts of things mate, are they are that amazing the first time - the return tends to be a bit of a disappointment. Its not always the case but when i was in Cambodia in early 2008 it was still not overly visited, the tourists were there but it wasn't mental. As such the prices were reasonable and the hawkers were tolerable. From what i've heard since - Siem Riep is now like a mini Vegas with massive hotels all over the place. The temples of Ankhar Wat, are to me, the greatest piece of living history i have ever visited - i was completely immersed by them for the 4 or so days i was there. I mean taken a back to a whole new level. I couldn't comprehend these incredible temples being built in 9th century, and as such i just wandered round in a daze in complete amazement for hours. Anyway - off on a tangent a little - i've heard its commercial gigantism there these days which i find a massive shame. It would be nice if the money generated by this found its way to the Cambodian people - but i doubt it, it never does. I too would love to go back, but i think i would be disappointed if i did. Which is a concern i share with Vietnam too, although i don't think tourism has increased there at the same rate as Cambodia.

When I was in Cambodia Phnom Penh was crazy, but not much of that was to do with tourists, just an incredibly busy Asian town. Angkor Wat was absolutely rife with hawkers, at one point we had something like 4 kids and 3 adults surrounding us pestering us to buy shit and not taking no as an answer. However, we also went to the Utopian Island of Koh Rong which is everything you'd want. Just a hint of tourists to give you people to meet, restaurants, bars and accommodation yet quiet enough for peaceful beach lounging and pollution free. I did love Cambodia but my favourite country in SE Asia was probably Laos. To be honest they were all fucking great though.

Red Banjo, a very good post in full.

Luckily I didn't get hassled at all at Angkor Wat. I absolutely loved it there. I was fascinated, astounded and in awe of the whole place, still to this day thinking about it makes me shake my head at what they achieved there. I reckon I could go back 1000 times and not get bored there. Incredible.

• 8 years later...

Well worthy of a bump. 

Can't wait to get back to Vietnam in December. And Cambodia - particularly, but not only, the temples should be on everyone's bucket list. 

And the drum I've been banging on forever, is still to urge anyone who's not yet seen it, to watch Ken Burns' ten-part documentary of the Vietnam War. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, rb14 said:

Well worthy of a bump. 

Can't wait to get back to Vietnam in December. And Cambodia - particularly, but not only, the temples should be on everyone's bucket list. 

And the drum I've been banging on forever, is still to urge anyone who's not yet seen it, to watch Ken Burns' ten-part documentary of the Vietnam War. 

Unless you've got a job lined up to qualify you as an expert, you won't be coming to Vietnam this year. They are not issuing tourist visas and are busy kicking out all the ones on tourist visas from Danang and the north at the moment. The Covid situation is dire, especially in Saigon and expats are having huge problems getting out, the only way to get an international flight from Hanoi for those in Danang is by private car which entails pcr testing, shitloads of paperwork and costs 450 quid. The visa situation has got worse since this was made last year.

• Upvote 3