You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If anyone wanted to try a mech mod (no wiring, so little to go wrong), these are dirt cheap with free worldwide delivery at the moment:

$19.44 KTS+ Electronic Cigarette Battery Compartment - gold-plated brass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Just bagged one myself. You would also need a charger and a couple of batteries for it, but I would recommend getting those in the UK from ebay.

Might have to point my mum and brother in the direction of these things. I had a go on one earlier and they're pretty nifty. I don't class myself as a smoker otherwise I'd be all over it. I smoke drugs but a joint or two on an evening is probably the equivalent of a fag , 2 fags at most, but I would like to see my family cut down, my mum especially.

Hungarian govt have now declared that only specially-licensed shops can sell cigarettes reducing the number of outlets from 42,000 to 5,000. This is to help the Hngarian people and nothing at all to do with govt officials getting bribe money for licences.

So I take this as a sign that I should implement my long-held plans to give up and, having a day off today, I make my way to an e-cig shop. After a long chat with the very nice shop assistant I end up selecting an eGo 1100 battery with Helix v3 Clearomizer and assorted spares, I am feeling very optimistic about giving up and pleased with myself. At which point, I look at the e-liquids with the intention of buying some nice and interesting flavours. Then the shop assistant informs that the right-wing, corrupt, cunting govt twats made nicotine eliquids illegal last week, thus forcing smokers to buy real cigarettes from the licensed shops that they are in no way taking bribes from. Twatting fucktards.

Fortunately, the very nice shopkeeper didn't point me in the direction of some left-over stock from before the ban and didn't introduce me to a very helpful man who was not able to let me get some in a transaction that was definitely not an illegal sale. Fuck knows what I can do in the future but hopefully I can order online and get it, or possibly sneak some back from my trips abroad.

Problem is, after all this shit I now feel like I need a fag and I haven't had time to set up this kit yet

Are you able to import nicotine legally from abroad PestiRed? Unless they have changed the law to ban you doing that in Hungary, you should be able to get it posted to you. If so, get some nicotine base and some PG and VG and some flavour concentrates and mix your own. I can point you in the right direction if you wish to do this, and tell you how to do it safely.

Just been able to check the law and you can buy online but not in shops (presumably there is some sort of twisted logic there)

So I just need to be organised and order massive amounts at a time. This is what kind of worried me though, that I would end up not having this and go and buy cigarettes.

Thanks for the offer, Zig

Just superb isn't it. I'd strongly recommend you go for a full mod kit, there's a big difference between an over the counter e-cigarette and a full mod device. Bit daunting at first but it's easy to pick up and a lot of fun with all the bits and pieces you can put together.

I've gone straight for a Vamo v2.5 for home and an Innoken iTaste MVP on the road. I've put my own coil, atomizer and tank on both. Probably the nicest thing I've ever smoked and clearly only a fraction as harmful as cigarettes however you want to dress it up.

Irrespective of parts of the medical fraternity who appear to have lost all sense and morphed into the Catholic church with an absolute stance of quit smoking or die alongside the hostility of the pharmaceutical industry I can only say how I feel over a week since I last smoke a ciggy and that is 100x healthier.

Ok, set it up and like using it. If it keeps me off the fags for a week or two, I may well look at doing something MOD. The other thing that might be a problem is the size. I travel a lot and am in & out of the office all day and the eGo seems a bit big. Are the 510's any good if you pack a few batteries for the day?

Nice work clangers. You just need a dripper now. My little Chorge is fucking amazing dual coiled at 13.5 watts, nearly blew my head clean off the first time I set it up. I'm not going back to tank systems now, and have ordered another little dripper. Most people would agree that in terms of quality of vape, it's dripper > top range tank atty > mid-range tank atty > carto tank > clearomiser > cartomiser. Only thing is you have to top the dripper up every ten or twenty tokes because it only has an eight or ten drop capacity, even with a juice well. The Igo-L comes highly recommended at around a tenner if you don't want to faff around waiting for one from China.

Pesti, if you get a telescope mod like the KTS+ I linked above, then it will fit easily in your fist with an 18350 battery and you should get through no more than three of those in a day, but if you extend it and put an 18650 in you should get a day's use out of it. They all charge pretty quickly too. I have four 18350 batteries which means I never run out completely using my Provari, and I have two 18650s ready for when the KTS+ arrives from China some time in the indeterminate future.

Cheers, if I'm reading that site correctly, I can fit any 510 clearomiser to the KTS+ and that's all I need?

Also, it looks smart, are there any clearomiser a out there that would match, rather than looking a bit plastic?

You most certainly can. Might take a month to arrive though, but at £12 who cares? I would recommend buying your batteries and charger from an EU based supplier, not from China however. Get a Nitecore or an Xtar charger, and I personally use Efest 18350 or Trustfire 18650 batteries. You want to buy the protected batteries with a mech mod.

In terms of something not plastic looking, you could get a cartomiser tank, which holds a punched cartomiser and a load of extra juice. This would save you the hassle of rebuilding coils and they look pretty nice. You can buy pre-punched cartomisers quite cheaply, and they will last longer in a tank than on their own before you need to chuck them out.

Other option is DBOX Puritank, which takes Evod heads. The heads are fairly cheap to replace, but can also be rebuilt for pennies if you don't mind learning to roll the coils. Get a couple of standard resistance and a couple of low resistance heads at first so you can work out what you like.

Nice work clangers. You just need a dripper now. My little Chorge is fucking amazing dual coiled at 13.5 watts, nearly blew my head clean off the first time I set it up. I'm not going back to tank systems now, and have ordered another little dripper. Most people would agree that in terms of quality of vape, it's dripper > top range tank atty > mid-range tank atty > carto tank > clearomiser > cartomiser. Only thing is you have to top the dripper up every ten or twenty tokes because it only has an eight or ten drop capacity, even with a juice well. The Igo-L comes highly recommended at around a tenner if you don't want to faff around waiting for one from China.

Pesti, if you get a telescope mod like the KTS+ I linked above, then it will fit easily in your fist with an 18350 battery and you should get through no more than three of those in a day, but if you extend it and put an 18650 in you should get a day's use out of it. They all charge pretty quickly too. I have four 18350 batteries which means I never run out completely using my Provari, and I have two 18650s ready for when the KTS+ arrives from China some time in the indeterminate future.

Thanks for the advice, funnily enough dripping is the next thing on the list, I've been looking at buying a chorge. Is it worth the effort? I assume you get a much richer cleaner taste? I have to say I'm still impressed with tanks although I'm still finding much of the terminology a bit confusing, tanks appear to often be called clearomizers and vice versa.

The whole vaping thing is great, it's got a real ritual about it that really helps getting over smoking ciggies. I've been smoking 30 a day for years, bought a vaping mod and haven't had a cigarette or any withdrawal since picking up a mod.

I use to smoke 20 rollups a day and after 3 months on the ecigs I only vape about 1.6 ml of 18ml strength a day.

Fuck tobacco. Its amazing how when you smoke tobacco your constantly craving it. But since I started the ecigs I dont crave the ecig.

I use to smoke 20 rollups a day and after 3 months on the ecigs I only vape about 1.6 ml of 18ml strength a day.

Fuck tobacco. Its amazing how when you smoke tobacco your constantly craving it. But since I started the ecigs I dont crave the ecig.

Yep same here, I'm definitely now vaping quite a bit less than I was smoking.

Have a read here for an unscientific outline of the effects of smoking against vaping. I think the fact that the nicotine is slow released compared to cigarettes is quite important.

Nicotine absorption vaping vs. smoking

Thanks for the advice, funnily enough dripping is the next thing on the list, I've been looking at buying a chorge. Is it worth the effort? I assume you get a much richer cleaner taste?

I don't know as I'd call it effort really, if you're already building coils. The chorge is press fit, so you just pop the top off, drip in ten drops, pop it back on and go.

Lasts about the same time as a fag, and because it can handle high power without any trouble wicking, you can take a short puff instead of a seven or eight second drag. The flavour is immense, and the vape is warmer without a big chimney to go up.

I love it, and because it's small I can carry my Provari and two spare 18350s upright in the condom pocket of my jeans and a couple of small bottles of juice in the other pocket with my phone. Keys and change in the other side, wallet and travelcard in my arse pockets, and the only other thing I need is my sunglasses.

18650 mode:

IMG_20130710_192654.jpg

18350 mode:

IMG_20130710_193551.jpg

Not bad for £12 delivered! Threads are ok, button locks, delivers power, check.

That's hitting at 13.5 watts on dual-coiled kanthal ribbon at the moment and it's a monster. Going to stick a sub-ohm coil in it later and see what it can really do.

Nice. Figured that I might as well give this stuff a proper go so I've Just ordered one myself along with one of their v9 dripping RDA's. I'll be back here in about 3 weeks to pick your brains on how to figure out the resistance on a dual coil without using a multimeter!

Why not just buy a multimeter? Only a fiver on ebay and it might stop you buggering a battery up and burning your fingers.

That would probably be the sensible option. Will see if I can try to explain it in English in the local shop to save on delivery fees but high chance I will come home with something that measures water pressure instead.

I take it that it's not as simple as just getting a certain thickness wire and making sure you use 5 cm or whatever?

The problem would be if you get a short and the battery vents.

Having said this, I have just done something a bit insane myself. I dual coiled my chorge dripper with two coils of four wraps of 0.3 kanthal on doubled 2mm silica wick, which I would guesstimate is in the 0.6 ohm range. My Provari won't read the resistance, it just thinks I'm mad, but everything seemed to be firing ok and it was producing vapour during resistance checking. Couldn't see any metal touching metal so I chucked it on my KTS+.

I guess I am vaping now at about 22 or 23 watts, and instead of taking a seven second inhale like I have been used to with other kit, I am inhaling for one or two seconds, getting huge clouds of tasty good vapour, and a nic rush which I don't normally get.

I am seriously considering selling the Provari now and going fully mechanical. This kicks the arse of smoking or any other vaping I have done into sometime next century.

I'm still off to Maplins tomorrow to get a multi-meter because I don't want to lose any batteries, but it goes to prove that sometimes risks pay off ...

A week without cigarettes

No will power required and not feeling urges. After 25 years of fags and numerous attempts to give up, this is easily the best substitute I've found

Obviously still early days but genuinely believe that this will work, wish I'd tried it before

Think its about 4 or 5 months for me now off the analogs*. Haven't had one, and I don't mean that as in 'Look how great I am' but more 'whats the fucking point in having one?'

I'm off to Majorca for a few days next month and I usually get a few cigars when I am abroad. I reckon it will taste like shit and I'll hurl my guts out, so I might not bother.

Still happy with my kit and with the 3.5ml tank I've had a few 'ooh I've never seen one like that before..' comments which is always good.

* Checked my posts. Four months next week. I honestly thought I'd just go through a phase of e-cigs for about a week then be plebbing on the stinkers once I got drunk.