You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge

WhiskeyJar

Daniel Sturridge  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Daniel Sturridge

• We need him, get him in January
    • Not what we need. We need someone with more quality and experience
    • Not seen him play enough/Unsure about him

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Sturridge is absolutely a starter, just as soon as he is fit enough. Why? Because he wins points. Lots of points. He has scored 22 from 30. Plays well with Coutinho and Suarez, too.

• Upvote 1

Sturridge is absolutely a starter, just as soon as he is fit enough. Why? Because he wins points. Lots of points. He has scored 22 from 30. Plays well with Coutinho and Suarez, too.

I'd have Sturridge, Suarez and Sterling on form.  If we were to pick an attacking three.

Sterling is performing better than Coutinho for me, in terms of getting points as he's getting goals and assists.

Yeah, but Sterling is not as good as Coutinho behind a front two, which is how we'd be playing.

We've not played that way under Rodgers yet, so not sure why people think we'd play that way now.

Be interesting to see how Sterling reacted if he were dropped for Sturridge after his fine form. 

I don't for one second think his attitude is as bad as that waster Moses, but he does give off vibes that he might be one of those types who'd get a lip on. 

He should feel aggrieved. 

After Suarez he is our biggest threat at the moment.

Fuck that shit. Coutinho, Suarez and Sterling are our best attacking options on form. Coutinho comes deep and draws defenders, Suarez scares the shit out of them, and Sterling is either stretching the space out wide, or doing something which is hard to do for wingers (Aaron Lennon has never done it, which is why I know Sterling is going to be a far better player than him), anticipating when Suarez goes short and making telling runs into the centre behind the defence. Sturridge is excellent, but for the time being he's a fantastic option to bring off the bench if needed. Also while we were getting results because our front two are excellent, our early season performances always felt like they were compromised by playing a front two without working out how the rest of the team should line up. Since we've gone 4-3-3 we're a delight to watch again.

It's a problem, do you keep the system or find a way to accommodate the 2 forwards, but hey, it's a nice one to have. Chelsea don't have to worry about it.

• Upvote 1

Fuck that shit. Coutinho, Suarez and Sterling are our best attacking options on form. Coutinho comes deep and draws defenders, Suarez scares the shit out of them, and Sterling is either stretching the space out wide, or doing something which is hard to do for wingers (Aaron Lennon has never done it, which is why I know Sterling is going to be a far better player than him), anticipating when Suarez goes short and making telling runs into the centre behind the defence. Sturridge is excellent, but for the time being he's a fantastic option to bring off the bench if needed. Also while we were getting results because our front two are excellent, our early season performances always felt like they were compromised by playing a front two without working out how the rest of the team should line up. Since we've gone 4-3-3 we're a delight to watch again.

It's a problem, do you keep the system or find a way to accommodate the 2 forwards, but hey, it's a nice one to have. Chelsea don't have to worry about it.

But Sturridge gets goals and assists that wins us games.

Coutinho has to start doing that again, like he did at the end of last season.  

His approach play is superb, but his final ball and shooting has been very poor.

I wouldn't like to see us go back to two upfront, unless it was against a weak side at home.  Otherwise I think we need three in midfield, so that means only three attacking threats.

I'd have Sturridge central, Suarez roaming and Sterling or Coutinho fighting it out for the other role (for most games, in some games you could play all four).  On form, I'd go for Sterling.  If Coutinho gets back to his best, then that will change.

I don't think players should ever just walk back into a team doing well.

I normally agree. But, and its quite a massive one on this occasion, this is a player who has scored 22 goals in 30 appearances for us, and is half of the most feared strike partnership in the league.

We've hardly seen Dan and Luis together but they've caused chaos in the short spell they have had. Individually they are brilliant, together they are a defenders nightmare. Fear factor. They have it, and then some. Stoke will be shitting themselves before a ball is kicked if they know they will be facing them both.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Probably controversial, but at the moment I'd sooner leave out Gerrard than I would one of Sterling, Coutinho, or Sturridge.

• Upvote 1

Probably controversial, but at the moment I'd sooner leave out Gerrard than I would one of Sterling, Coutinho, or Sturridge.

I'd leave Gerrard out, but probably not for one of the attacking players.  I'd leave him out for Allen against the top sides and maybe some of the away games.  At home though, especially against the weaker sides, I'd still have him in the side.

Sterling has done well recently but it's really a no brainer. Sturridge takes his place in the team when he's back.

Why doesn't he take Coutinho's place?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Henderson and one of Allen/Lucas would be playing all the time. Coutinho as the number 10 in most games. Obviously some teams would overrun that midfield, so it would be rejigged, but a lot of the time that's how I'd go at the moment.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Why doesn't he take Coutinho's place?

I think it's because Coutinho's superb. He might not have been pulling everything off at the moment, but playing Sturridge without Coutinho is missing a trick.

I'd leave Gerrard out, but probably not for one of the attacking players.  I'd leave him out for Allen against the top sides and maybe some of the away games.  At home though, especially against the weaker sides, I'd still have him in the side.

Yep, I'd go along with that. Alternatively play him for 60 minutes and ask him to go full out before subbing him.

When this thread was started, I voted for him to be signed immediately.  I always thought he was a great player.  But I see now that my vote has been moved to the "not what we need" section. 

In fact, on further inspection, I think loads of votes have been moved as 108 peopel voted to sign him, but there's only a handful of names in there.

What happened there?  Can we no longer trust a TLW vote?  Has DaveU become GeorgeW?