You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chinese food

Section_31

Couple of my mates have lived in China on and off for ten years or so and don't like the food there, say it's very oily. 

Lot of snobbery around this kind of stuff, like if you like chicken fried rice or something you're some kind of uncouth philistine. I like chicken friend rice. 

Nothing beats the Golden Pheonix that used to be on Hanover St. Liverpool's first Chinese restaurant apparently. It's gone now. I also remember one in Chinatown called The Far East, is that still there?

Actually, one does beat it. On Gerrard St in Soho there is one above the Chinese supermarket. It has no signs or anything but it's the best i've had I reckon.

I can't remember the names but the 2 I went too off Gerrard Street were the top 2 I've ever had.

My Chinese does crispy Mongolian lamb.

A contradiction it maybe but my word is it ace.

That with kung po chicken, plain chow mein, egg fried rice (which has chopped spring onion in it) curry sauce, chips and prawn crackers.

Couple of SanMiguels in the pub next door while it's cooking.

Happy days.

(Proud and embarrassed in equal measure that they all call out my name when I walk in like I'm part of the family due to the fact I'm there most weekends. Twice.)

Don't mind a Chinese. My intestines have never been so lubricated than after a Chinese, the shit flies out of my bowels like it's having a go on one of those water park slides.

A sign of the genuine article.

If it doesn't loosen things up as it were, its mostly likely Thai with all its coconut and vegetables trying to gate crash the slippery salt laden deliciousness of the real thing

• Upvote 1

Couple of my mates have lived in China on and off for ten years or so and don't like the food there, say it's very oily. 

Lot of snobbery around this kind of stuff, like if you like chicken fried rice or something you're some kind of uncouth philistine. I like chicken friend rice.

Note to self - refuse Sections invite to his place for a chinese.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Crispy chicken/Duck or Lamb with Lemon grass, Chinese style vegetables/Mushrooms in a nice sauce. I always ask for egg fried rice instead of normal rice.

The only problem with a Chinese is having to sit through that shite Music, get some decent vibes on FFS! Also, after a Chinese I'm always fucking hungry again a few hours later.  

Presumably, it's authentic Chinese food?

I've never had authentic Chinese food, but I'm not a fan of the dated, 1970's, Anglicised stuff you get in most Chinese places in this country.

Went to a proper Chinese wedding reception a few years ago where there was boiled chicken with head still attached, some sort of jellied fish thing and all kinds of unappetising weirdness. I'll stick to my crispy duck and spare ribs, thanks.   

• Upvote 1

Nothing beats the Golden Pheonix that used to be on Hanover St. Liverpool's first Chinese restaurant apparently. It's gone now. I also remember one in Chinatown called The Far East, is that still there? 

Actually, one does beat it. On Gerrard St in Soho there is one above the Chinese supermarket. It has no signs or anything but it's the best i've had I reckon. 

The feller who had the Golden Phoenix for years has now taken over The New Orchid Garden opposite Alder Hey hospital

Went to a proper Chinese wedding reception a few years ago where there was boiled chicken with head still attached, some sort of jellied fish thing and all kinds of unappetising weirdness. I'll stick to my crispy duck and spare ribs, thanks.

Yeah, actual Chinese food is a bit different to our version.

I ordered the lemon chicken in Hong Kong. Fucking heads and feet and everything in there. Whole fish of indeterminate species on the table. Sticky rice balls. Stuff I couldn't even name.

Not a slice of prawn toast to be had.

There's only one type of chickenhead I like. Word. Or something.

I'd just like to point out i had no idea who the bride and groom were, either. God knows how i ended up there... 

• 1 year later...

I live round from a massive shopping complex & they have a Chinese van there dishing out food at all hours of the day, yesterday I took the bairn out for a walk & there were people sitting eating Chinese food at half 10 in the morning.

Is it just me or is that fucking mental?

I had a link sausage roll (HP sauce) for my breakfast yesterday before anyone asks.

• Upvote 1

Nobby Long's on Orwell Street was a belter. 

That's the thing with Chinese food.  It's essentially simple stuff.  You'll find places that serve very decent Chinese food everywhere.  If you want to go 'proper' Chinese and eat snakes and heads and extremities of various animals, you'll find those places in most big cities as well.  I prefer relatively simple rice dishes.