You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Champions League, Final 16 - Draw 11/12, 11am

Oh Buoy

Good draw. Turn up and we should progress. And there will be 2-3 possible winners knocked out as well. Get to the last eight and anything can happen.

I’d feel a lot better if we sign a commanding central defender in January. I won’t do the whole list so as not to be greedy, but a top notch central defender would help us.

Porto have a few mercurial attackers who can look world class or like complete shite. Yacine Brahimi, Jesus Corona and most of all, Vincent Aboubakar who is having a huge season. They're also managed by a good up-and-comer, Sergio Conceicao who won the Champions League with them in 2003 as a player and did some good things managing Nantes last year. He'd succeeded in making them hard to beat but he quit this summer when the Porto job became suddenly available and was offered to him.

They normally play a 4-4-2 with the aforementioned Aboubakar and Moussa Marega up front and they have the classic big black holding midfielder in Danilo Perreira.

One thing that I think will be difficult is that Conceicao has shown thus far that he can instill a huge workrate and desire into his sides which means I doubt we'll be able to break them like we did with Spartak.

But I would say it's still a favorable draw, considering the alternatives.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

They only got 10 points in a piss easy group, losing at home to Beskitas 1-3 and away to Leipzig 3-2. 

We shouldn't take any team lightly, but it is a good draw and we will rightfully be favourites to progress to the last 8. 

They only got 10 points in a piss easy group, losing at home to Beskitas 1-3 and away to Leipzig 3-2.

We shouldn't take any team lightly, but it is a good draw and we will rightfully be favourites to progress to the last 8.

And we only qualified on the final match day with a much easier group. I’m happy with the draw but so will Porto

Don't underestimate Porto. The two African lads they have up front are deadly, and Brahimi can cause us all kinds of problems with his pace and trickery. They smashed Monaco twice. It's certainly not a bye into the next round. This'll be a hard fought tie.

Guest Pistonbroke

And we only qualified on the final match day with a much easier group. I’m happy with the draw but so will Porto

I don't think our group was easier at all, I'd say about even. Beskitas are 4th in the Turkish league and not all that. Take Werner and Keita away from Leipzig and they are a pretty ordinary side. Monaco have been blowing hot and cold all season, capable at time, woeful at others. I'm not underestimating Porto, but we are clearly the better team if you were to judge both teams at the top of their game. If we can't beat them over two legs then we don't deserve to go further in the tournament. They could themselves have landed a lot tougher tie, but I doubt they are seeing us as the easiest tie they wanted. 

I don't think our group was easier at all, I'd say about even. Beskitas are 4th in the Turkish league and not all that. Take Werner and Keita away from Leipzig and they are a pretty ordinary side. Monaco have been blowing hot and cold all season, capable at time, woeful at others. I'm not underestimating Porto, but we are clearly the better team if you were to judge both teams at the top of their game. If we can't beat them over two legs then we don't deserve to go further in the tournament. They could themselves have landed a lot tougher tie, but I doubt they are seeing us as the easiest tie they wanted.

I don’t agree with that. We had Maribor and Spartak Moscow, two teams who I fully expect all the teams in that group above to win pretty easily against if they had been drawn in the same group. We had sevilla who have been inconsistent this season and for me are probably on par with Porto.