You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton

Gym Beglin

The stadium move was the defining moment for them. Without it, in a sub -standard 16,000 capacity ground, they could be where Pompey are now.

Broadly, they have been fortunate with their owners. Doubling their capacity was moving into uncharted territory, but it worked for them. They have had their ups and downs including relegations and Administration, but that is football. Their Academy has done well, and once one takes off it tends to be a self -fulfilling prophecy, the best prospects go there because others before have succeeded.

It is one thing producing first teamers for a Championship/ journeyman PL side. Quite another to do so for a top four side. There is a case for closing our academy, saving the cash, and just buying the best of the work of others. My impression is that Sir Clive Woodward, first informally, then briefly formally, had quite an impact in improving the sporting professionalism at the club.

Our curse is that we're not rich enough to spend stupidly and have it not matter, but not skint enough to make every pound count. 

When I was starting out I was taught that only rich people could buy on the cheap, meaning they had the money to buy again and again and again. Working people had to get it right the first time. Even today, any necessity I have I try to buy the absolute best quality possible, even if it sets me back in the short term.

We need more of that kind of thinking, imo.

Most likely, yes. Hopefully not though. 

Big test for them with Schneiderlin and Wanayama both out for around the next month, men who made Lovren look like a £20m centre half.

Huge blow for them, if those 2 stayed fit for the rest of the season i think they would have been nailed on to see out the 17 games and get top 4, still think they have a good chance with plenty of winnable games coming up.

Other players get the headlines but Davis and Cork have both been important for them, underrated and often ignored the pair of them, Cork is injured too so that doesn't exactly help the situation in the middle of the pitch.

I'd imagine the vast majority of clubs, and LMA managers, must absolutely detest them.

They're making the league look shit. Koeman, and Pochettino before him, are making most of the LMA managers look fucking clueless. They make a profit in the transfer window by having a great academy, and then giving players a chance, plus selling their players for three times what they're worth to clubs that don't do any scouting. Then they do some actual scouting and sign replacements that are worth what they pay. They don't do anything particularly innovative tactically. They're just solid, retain possession well, play people in positions they can play, and everyone does knows their job.

How tedious.

Good man, Jairz.

That Tadic bloke is a great example.

Never heard of him, don't think anyone ever has outside of Vojvodina and parts of the Low Countries. 

Saw him on the opening day against us and thought, fuck me, what a tasty player.

Hard working too.

Real wolverine.

They could well finish top 4.

And fair fucks to them.

When I worked for MBNA I often got given a load of corporate tickets for home matches when they were in the championship. A few of the guys who sat on our table told me all about the goings on. Rupert Lowe fucked them over big-time but Woodward's involvement certainly turned things around.

Good man, Jairz.

Never heard of him, don't think anyone ever has outside of Vojvodina and parts of the Low Countries. 

Saw him on the opening day against us and thought, fuck me, what a tasty player.

Hard working too.

Real wolverine.

And fair fucks to them.

We were linked with Tadic a couple of years ago for about £8m but we went for Assaidi instead.

People surely look at players excelling on the smaller stage and doubt their ability to translate that onto a bigger one. Rightly or wrongly.

I am sure for every Tadic or Van Nistelrooy there's a Assaidi or Kezman . Maybe not, though, but people who know more than me about Dutch football may have a better idea.

People surely look at players excelling on the smaller stage and doubt their ability to translate that onto a bigger one. Rightly or wrongly.

I am sure for every Tadic or Van Nistelrooy there's a Assaidi or Kezman . Maybe not, though, but people who know more than me about Dutch football may have a better idea.

For sure, people always said that the reason Suarez wasn't picked up before us was his madness. But I'd bet there was a whole lot of clubs that also simply weren't prepared to take the risk on him because as you say theres always a Kezman, or an Alfonso Alves or a Van wolfswinkel waiting to flop. 

Still think a lot of clubs and very much ourselves could do a whole lot better in the market though. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We were linked with Tadic a couple of years ago for about £8m but we went for Assaidi instead.

So from this I take it we definitely made the choice between the two? Maybe it was just paper talk? Maybe lots if things.

Good man, Jairz.

Hard working too.

Real wolverine.

And fair fucks to them.

One thing though, it's not the same to make the step-up to Soton or to Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea, etc. Salah could still be a player. Not for Chelsea. I don't think Bony will last at City for more than a season or two.

I thought Pelle was not good enough for the Premier League. Scored loads for Feyenoord but fuck all anywhere else. He is also quite slow.

Saints have been doing it since I was a kid in terms of developing talent and getting top dollar for it. They must have consistently done the best selling business of any club in the top-flight in the past 25 years I would have thought, and it only really cost them when the move to their new stadium keelhauled them for a few years.

yet they almost went out of business under rupert lowe and harry redknapp

yep. More talented and a better player than Lallana already. 

Southamtpon really embarrassed us in the transfer market in the Summer.

Alderweireld > Lovren

Pelle > Lambert

Tadic > Lallana.

And ~20mil still in the pocket. 

Is it possible for you to praise a player without having a dig at one of ours?

That's fine but how do we know they would be good enough for us?

They'd have probably signed Assaidi from when he was in Holland, he'd have ripped it up and then we'd be going "how the fuck have they got him for 3 million when we've paid 20 million more for Lallana?" 

Southampton did do good business in the summer but Rodgers is probably just bemoaning how they managed to get Ryan Bertrand and he never. 

• Upvote 1